Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

Old 05/26/2004, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Question Mushroom blending? Fact or myth?? Please... anyone with experience?

I have read about this a couple of times now and I am wondering if anyone could elaborate on it. It sounds like you blend a mushroom with tank water and pour it back in tank to spread the mushrooms. Does this really work? Wouldn't they just all get sucked up in filter/skimmer??

Very curious if anyone has any experience and how many mushrooms came out of the one they blended??
Old 05/26/2004, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

lorifish -

It's not a myth. You can propagate mushrooms by selecting your stock, and adding them to your blender that has some of your tank water in it. Of course you don't want to blend to a pulp, just enough to chop them up.

What I did next was take a container and added crushed coral in the bottom. I poured my mushroom mix into the container. Then I put netting over the container, securing it with a rubber band. In a few days the pieces will start to attach to the substrate. At that time you can start taking the new stock out and placing it where you want it.

HTH
Old 05/28/2004, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Yep, I agree...I've done it several times. I just dump it into my fuge or display and find mushies growing from crevices all over.
The use of a container and netting is a good one and allows a lot more control I bet.
I have not tried it with Ricordia and do not recomend it. The proper tech for them is easily found here.
Old 05/28/2004, 03:17 PM
Registered Member

Just make sure you dont plan on keeping sps later and you dont mind mushrooms covering every piece of LR in your tank. They will take over!
Old 05/28/2004, 07:24 PM
Registered Member

I totally agree...especially if you do it with Rics. They are pretty but nasty. Regular discs usually loose out to healthy acros IME.