Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 12/01/2003, 04:57 PM
Registered Member

Where to get a Refractometer?

Where to get a Refractometer?
I am doing hyposalinity. Need a proper gauge to determine salinity but having problems getting a device to read it accuately besides my cheap swinding arm meter.

One pet store here was trying to order one in for me at a crazy rate of $260.00CND! Only have two other stores here that deal with saltwater & they weren't able to order one in & didnt stock it.

Anyone know where I might be able to order one online somewhere? What does everyone else use? Are they really this expensive?
Old 12/01/2003, 05:42 PM
20 and over club

Leeanne,

Most of the online mail order places stock them (e.g. Champion Lighting, Marine Depot) and I think you can even pick them up cheaply on eBay. They are not cheap, and expect to pay US$100 +/- US$50.
Old 12/01/2003, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick responce ATJ.

yeah I will check out those sites. Found one for $124.00 CND but gotta get it right. I have just hydrometers which are not acurate.

Hey have a Q: for ya. Had a guy from the LFS here tell me that doing hyposalinity the eyes pop out thats why they dont do it. Is the guy crazy? Or when he tried it the salinity was way to low? Is it something to watch for? he didnt have a proper gauge I know. He says you just to the math.

Any thoughts?
Old 12/01/2003, 07:10 PM
20 and over club

LOL that's a new one. No, the eyes don't pop out - even if you went too low. I suspect he's making it up on the spot.
Old 12/01/2003, 07:25 PM
Registered Member

www.ditreef.com has them for $43 US (plus shipping).
Old 12/01/2003, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

I think you meant www.diyreef.com
Old 12/02/2003, 01:27 PM
Registered Member

Yes indeed Thaxx. Thanks for catching the typo.
Old 12/02/2003, 05:41 PM
Registered Member

Thanks ATJ for confirming the eyes dont pop out. LOL thats hilarious! Wonder what that guys smoking then hey. Its not the first time he's told me that either.

Hey thanks for the tip dpaynter and the web link i will check it out.

Hey anyone know if there is another method gauge to test the salinity accurately? I seen a pinpoint salinity monitor on the web. would that do the job or any other methods of testing for salinity. I already know the hydrometer swing arm is crap. Any ideas? What do you use?
Old 12/02/2003, 06:48 PM
20 and over club

Leeanne,

Salinometers like the Pinpoint are good. A quality floating glass hydrometer will be accurate, although somewhat cumbersome to use.
Old 12/03/2003, 09:49 AM