Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/20/2007, 01:48 PM
Registered Member

Help!! What is wrong with my plate??

I added this plate coral on Friday, and today I find it looking like this:

I fed it a small piece of shrimp last night. Could it be a reaction to that somehow?

The only thing I can see that is off with my parameters is that my alk is pretty high (~12 dKH). Could that be affecting it? I have also noticed it is producing some strings of mucus.

As you can see, I am keeping it on the bottom of my starboard tank. Could the starboard be having a detrimental effect on the fungia's health?

Please help!!

Last edited by Amador; 05/20/2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 05/20/2007, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

Maybe it is taking a few days to get used to surrounding?
Old 05/20/2007, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, but overnight it goes from pristine to that?
Old 05/20/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

Mine looked like that when I first added it. In about a week it was back to normal with tentical extension and it was eating. Keep an eye on it but I think it will be fine after it gets used to your tank.

HTH
Old 05/20/2007, 07:11 PM
Big 12 Ballin'

There is some tissue death on the bottom right. It is likely caused by the starboard.

These guys need sand.

You might be a reefneck!
Old 05/20/2007, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

I placed him in a tupperware container of sand to see if that helps. Thanks for the info guys.
Old 05/20/2007, 09:33 PM
Big 12 Ballin'

That will definitely make it easier on him. Continue to offer foods when the coral is expanded.

You might be a reefneck!
Old 05/20/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

My plate looked like that for a long time befor i relized kit even had tenacles. My salt was high then low and i had no idea what i was doing, i was a chemical soup person. Now its gorgeaous blooming everyday. Mine is high up on a peice of live rock, near the imput of the sump and lots of light. Try that.
Old 05/21/2007, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

What lighting do you have? Mine did that at first (I have 500wattmh total) I moved him to a shaded area and he puffed back up within a few days.
Old 05/21/2007, 02:43 AM
Latenight Reefer

During the day in bright sunlight they usually retract their tenticles and mucus netting. They are very delicate creatures too when expanded. They only receive like 70% of their food from sunlight so make sure to feed, especially at night when its ready. They definately need sand and like to move around to find a good spot so if you put it into a container make sure its a low light area with low-moderate flow. What are you feeding it?
Old 05/21/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

I hope it turns around for you. I just added one last weekend and in 2 days it had bleached. I found my brittle stars tearing hunks off of it and eating it. I've never seen them eating coral before. Anyone else ever see brittle stars interact this way?
Old 05/21/2007, 10:06 AM
Registered Member

Hmm, now you've got me thinking! I do have a brittle star(actually a serpent star), that probably hasn't been getting much to eat since I've gone BB. Wonder if he is the culprit?

I fed the plate a small piece of raw shrimp on Saturday, that's it. He is on the bottom of the tank (~22" down) under 250W MHs. I've made a shady spot for him by putting some eggcrate with some window-screen type material on that part of the tank. Hopefully he'll start to improve!
Old 05/21/2007, 10:31 AM
In over my head!

Quote:
Originally posted by Amador
I placed him in a tupperware container of sand to see if that helps. Thanks for the info guys.
The suggestion to put him on sand is incorrect. Fungia plates in the wild are typically found on top of rock rubble or coral skeletons. If the tissue on the underside is in sand, the tissue can be smothered and die.

I have two on the bottom of my bb system, and they are very healthy and happy.

Last edited by jeffbrig; 05/21/2007 at 10:38 AM.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:37 AM
In over my head!

From Eric Borneman's Aquarium Corals

Quote:
In general, those fungiids with sharp septal spines and flat morphology are less able to rid themselves of sediment. These species are common to rocky or rubble bottoms rather than soft substrates and are readily available in the aquarium trade. As such, the customary tendency to place fungiids on a soft sandy bottom exposed to significant sedimentation may be problematic.
Interestingly, of 19 plate coral photos in his book, the only one on sand is the only shot taken in someone's aquarium.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:40 AM
Registered Member

Well, now I am all confused! When I picked him up to put him in the container of sand, there was a reddish spot on the starboard where the plate was sitting. My thought was that it was from some damage to the fungia. What gives!?
Old 05/21/2007, 10:42 AM
In over my head!

Is this a new tank, or new starboard? For the time being, I would place the fungia on top of a piece of LR, or put 3-4 pieces of LR rubble down and place him on top.

I wouldn't automatically assume that you're doing anything wrong. Some corals have a bad time in transit and/or acclimation. You may still be dealing with issues stemming from that. My favias are typically more inflated late in the photoperiod going into the night, so a morning shot may not be the best indicator of health.

Last edited by jeffbrig; 05/21/2007 at 10:53 AM.
Old 05/21/2007, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Thanks for the tips. The tank itself is about a year old, but I recently switched over to starboard. I'll give the LR a try when I get home tonight. At the LFS he was sitting on a piece of PVC pipe standing on end, I wonder if suddenly being on substrate again takes some getting used to.
Old 05/21/2007, 11:15 AM
Premium Member

on top of rock is where my plate coral does the best,
Old 05/21/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

Like I said the top of my rock,I totally agree with jeffbrigs, BEWARE. I'll send u a picture, I know it gets confusing. After so many books and "advice" its hard to get the best advice :>
Old 05/21/2007, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

Mine sits on crushed coral and is doing great. I've had it about 2 1/2 years now. I've never fed it directly, but it does catch some mysis now and then that the fish don't catch first. It's fun to watch it grab a piece of food and carry it up towards the mouth.

Mike
Old 05/21/2007, 12:07 PM
Slightly Obsessed

mgregg99....has it grown in the time you've had it? and if so, how much? beautiful coral!!
Old 05/21/2007, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Der_Iron_Chef
mgregg99....has it grown in the time you've had it? and if so, how much? beautiful coral!!
Thanks! It's probably grown about an inch in diameter at most. I don't know if that's typical, but it seems to be doing well.
Old 05/21/2007, 01:00 PM
Premium Member

Here's one that I had for a year now sitting on a flat rock, mine wasn't doing this well untill I bought a better skimmer and mega flow.
Old 05/21/2007, 01:30 PM
In over my head!

Just for fun, here's my pair of fungias sitting on the bare tank bottom.

Old 05/21/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Wow, those are fantastic guys. Thanks for the tips, hopefully mine will recover and look as good soon.