Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/01/2008, 12:39 AM
Premium Member

Has anyone used Kordon Acriflavine for oodium/velvet successfully?

I can't determine if there may be ich or velvet or brook on these baby clowns. It's very hard to tell because:

- the clowns are so small, about 1 to 1 1/2 inch total length
- the color of the clowns makes it hard to see if there is discoloration, or white stripe color developing.

Whitish dots have appeared and gone now a couple of times. They are currently in hypo and I have been giving formalin baths every other day to treat for brook.

If it's velvet, can I treat with acriflavine? I'm hesitant to use copper because these are very young fish.

I honestly can't tell what's going on with them. Out of 5, 1 had very labored breathing for days before it died. It survived 2 formalin baths before succumbing. This one also lost his appetite almost 5 days before death.

The remaining 4 are eating and active. I have also been gut loading bbs with selcon and beta glucan. I am also adding beta glucan to their tank water. This is in addition to Rod's food.

Today I saw some small specks on one baby, near it's head. These dots I see are so small and kind of faded or hazy. If it was ich, would it be much larger in relation to the baby?

At what point do I say that hypo is not working, therefore it must be velvet? I want to catch this while they are still strong enough to deal with treatment.

I've also been doing daily 25% water changes. They are in a bare bottom nursery tank.

Thanks very much in advance for help. Also, Happy New Year to all.
Old 01/01/2008, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

push
Old 01/02/2008, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

If it were me, I'd go to copper sulfate
Old 01/02/2008, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

Acriflavine is not effective against velvet.

Copper is the treatment for velvet. SeaChem cupramine is a safe copper for even the most sensitive fishes. Make sure to have the appropriate test kit for this type of copper.
Old 01/02/2008, 04:04 PM
Team RC Member

I agree, acriflavine is not effective. I don't use copper, as I have many fish that I fear would be quite copper sensitive. I have had reasonable success with quinine sulfate, and also with chloroquine phosphate. You need to catch it early though. With more advanced cases, I have treated a tank with quinine, but taken the fish out daily for 1-hour formalin dips, and had good success. You can get quinine sulfate from National Fish Pharmaceuticals, http://www.fishyfarmacy.com/about_us.html.