Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics

Old 11/29/2005, 01:31 PM
Parapterois heterura

Tony... my instinct here in light of your husbandry detail is thatthe tank really is not running at a RedOx value of 440mv. But I certainly could be wrong.

Let me suggest you grab calibration solution from another company to compare for perspective.

Also move the ORP probe around the system to see if you get very different readings on overflow versus skimmer effluent versus display proper.

Do ask around as well to see if you can find an LFS or regional aquarist with an ORP meter to test a sample of your water on a different probe.

Please do follow up with your findings if you can.

And I'd dearly love to see you tank and share a beverage one day, my friend
Old 11/29/2005, 01:43 PM
Registered Member

Anthony,

Thank you again for your reply.

Great advice, I will try to get my hands on another ORP meter and obtain test fluid from another maker.

I will post my findings in due course.

Best regards,

Tony B

Tony B (UK)
Old 11/29/2005, 02:34 PM
Premium Member

As an update, I have ordered this Ozotech DG Air Dryer. I also ordered the calcium chloride media that goes in it directly from Ozotech for $2.60 lb. I will post the results of this cost effective air dryer once I receive and use it.
Old 11/29/2005, 07:20 PM
20 & Over Club

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthony Calfo

With nearly 4K posts to your credit... I trust you really don't want to be enabled, right?

Anth-

Anthony, I'm not sure..is this some kind of threat?
Old 11/29/2005, 09:59 PM
Parapterois heterura

a sarcastic compliment actually... I presume that anyone with that many posts is (obviously) an avid reader. Avid readers are avid information gatherers... and avid information gatherers are generally self-sufficient folk and do not want or need to be spoon fed or enabled.

Above all... I am the last person that will or wants to spoon feed anyone that is otherwise intelligent and capable (see my sig line please... I practice and preach it).

You will notice in my various posts thorugh the years that I duly give students, young people, newbies and new RC members a lot of leeway on this issue.

But folks that have many posts, list advanced degree professions, etc in their profile do not get kid glove treatment from me. Out of respect for your intelligence and/or the position you've earned in life.

It boggles my mind that anyone otherwise would navigate past their home page search tool... ignore Google, Yahoo, and any other search engine... get to the RC website... enter the forums which is an enormous database of archived information... then ignore the search tool at the top of each page... just to ask a question that amounts to "please spoon feed me"

Furthermore... it insults me that anyone would do so in the same thread (how ironic) that has the very answer to the question asked. Its a short thread at that!

It can be taken as a lack of respect for others peoples time.

That all said, the issue here is minor. I'm using your question and this opportunity to illustrate philosophies of mine on education, web courtesy, and some realities of the instant gratification that too many of us have come to expect by logging on to a message board.

You are a team RCmember, my friend. You have premium search privileges... and have been invited to mentor here because you have shown merit in guiding folks to optimize the site.

I know that you are very capable and I show you my respect (odd as it may seem) by not treating you with kid gloves. I ask for the same treatment from others/always.

Your question was minor and harmless... and I suspect I've answered your followup question clearly

No worries.

I'm just (as usual) writing and building content with a long view in mind (archives) beyond this specific issue.

be well,

Anth-
Old 11/29/2005, 11:14 PM
20 & Over Club

Quote:
a sarcastic compliment actually...
I took it as a threat to take away my posting privileges.

I did do many searchers and read thread after thread, just didn't see anything mentioned regarding the ideal ORP range. You might find this hard to believe but sometimes people just miss things. Seeing how you feel that I'm "intelligent and capable " I would think you would have just given a quick answer or quote rather then drag me down.

Obviously we see things different. I'm that last person on this BB to kiss some ones behind so I'll just come out and say that you must have many followers because it probably takes a lot of people to push your big head through those small doorways.

No worries, you wont see me back at your forum unless your head swells more and you feel the need to drag me down again.

Before you feel that need remember what I said "sometimes people just miss things.

Quote:
I know that you are very capable and I show you my respect )
You have an odd way of showing respect...maybe you should rethink things a little, especially to your elders.
Old 11/29/2005, 11:35 PM
Parapterois heterura

No threat at all... I have no such powers. No mod really does. All UA issues are democratically weighed... fairly and at great length by an intelligent consensus, despite what some folks may think

Yours is not a UA issue... we are just sparring intellectually (or not).

Sorry you see this as a head swelling issue. But I do have concern for your thin skin as a team RC member, withstanding my own flaws.

Will you really leave the forum and deprive the members of your favors/duties as a mentor (TeamRC) and your own benefit of learning from the various threads and posters? Just because of one jerk (even if that jerk is me ). Really? I'm not worth that kind of spite, I assure you

I take the blame for this one.

Please do reconsider... your participation is very welcome.
Old 11/30/2005, 07:54 PM
Premium Member

Funny that I deal with idiomatic issues,Tony´s English is one of the richest in RC,while mine naturally is far from that

But I see an idiomatic misunderstanding here.Tony used the word "enabled"and Golfish took it as "disabled"in the sense of being denied access to the forum.
Old 11/30/2005, 08:38 PM
Parapterois heterura

Ah, but your English is very good Luis!

You were able to concisely summarize what my long-winded posts could not

Thank you, my friend
Old 11/30/2005, 08:44 PM
Premium Member

Is it possible that a 25mg per hour unit is to small for a 90?
I dont have my cotroller actually turning the orp generator on or off, but mostly just watching the readings that is giving as I give it a week to settle in.
Even when I run the ozone for several hours the orp never goes above 300
Old 11/30/2005, 09:00 PM
Parapterois heterura

it's more a matter of bioload and organics in the system...

and more importantly, the break in period is slow! Have patience and see where is goes in some weeks (presuming you calibrated it from the start?)
Old 11/30/2005, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

well that is an interesting thing
the controller is a dual miluakee ph / orp
it came with fluid to calibrate the ph and instructions
there was no mention of calibrating the orp sensor

Where does one find instructions and fluid for calibrating the orp probe
Old 11/30/2005, 09:55 PM
Parapterois heterura

I honestly don't have much experience with Milwuake products... but a friend of mine was having trouble with their new ORP controller and doubted the accuracy of it.

So... I said the same thing: just calibrate it to see if thats the issue or not.

Well, long story short... this model did not have instructions for calibrating it... not even an external adjustment to do it. I was dumbstruck looking at it... I could not fathom a meter that did not have a calibration set screw or the like!

We made the decision to open the unit up. The reasoning was that the factory at least had to calibrate the unit and there must be an adjustment screw inside.

There was.

We calibrated the unit and it has worked fabulously ever since

You can get ORP calibration solution from places that sell probes obviously. I just bought my last calibration kit (for Octopus 3000/4000) from MarineDepot.com

The calibration solutions are all standards... no worries.

Last edited by Anthony Calfo; 11/30/2005 at 10:06 PM.
Old 11/30/2005, 11:43 PM
Fish Yenta

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnstacy
As an update, I have ordered this Ozotech DG Air Dryer. I also ordered the calcium chloride media that goes in it directly from Ozotech for $2.60 lb. I will post the results of this cost effective air dryer once I receive and use it.
I would be curious to know if this is the same media that is in the small disposable "Damp Rid" dehumidifier I bought at Target just to try it out. It, too, melts and drips down when exhausted.

A quick visit to their web site says,
"The white pellets are calcium chloride, which is a non-toxic inorganic salt product."

Guess so!
Old 11/30/2005, 11:50 PM
Parapterois heterura

here in Pennsylvania... we get our share of ice storms, heavy snow, etc (near Great Lakes)... and we get Turbo calcium... er, I mean Calcium chloride for pennies per pound. It's road salt. Period. And its a fab dessicant. Not only is it a fine and time tested drier media (if you don't mind the cleanup and replacement)... but this is THE media used in dessicant boosted drip trays on mechanized shutters for greenhouses.

The calcium chloride pellets are poured onto trays that sit in front of the incurrent ventilating shutters. And when air is brought in by the action of the exhaust fan (other greenhouse side wall)... it passes over the CaCL pellets... dries the air... which can then pick up more moisture (and heat) in the greenhouse before being exhausted. It's a cheap enhancement of evaporative cooling applications.
Old 12/01/2005, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

Quote:

Ah, but your English is very good Luis!

You were able to concisely summarize what my long-winded posts could not

Thank you, my friend

Flattering not being it my home language!

I felt that you were not understanding each other.

Some wars started because of bad translations...
Old 12/05/2005, 02:42 PM
Registered Member

Question Sorry im a noob to o3 !!

Hello all, First off I want to say thank you to all who posted. I have learned a lot from this forum. I'm not happy with my water quality in the tank. (Water has a yellowish tint.) After doing a whole lot of reading, I have decided to buy an ozonizer, but still have a couple of questions.

I think I have decided to go with the Red Sea Aqua zone plus Deluxe. I was wondering what mgph to get, and if anyone has any comments on this unit. The sites I've been on haven't really been to helpful. I know it really depends on the bio load. I have a 55 gall with 16 good sized corals and 6 fish. so I hope that helps.

Also on top of that, I know I need a controller. I want to know which unit you people think is the best. (never used an Orp meter before) Also the info on the site says "Only run once a month". I figure this is if you don't have a controller. Am I correct?

And last but not least, (LOL I know a lot of questions) do you think my POS sea clone would make a good reactor? Or just spend the extra money on the Coral life reactor? (prolly a dumb question being that the Sea Clone is only good for a paper weight.)

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
Rob
Old 12/06/2005, 02:41 PM
Registered Member

Sorry, I made a mistake with my last post. I was going to ask wether I should get the deluxe or the regular. The deluxe has a built in redux controller, probe, air dryer, and pump. I wasn't sure if I should get the regular, and buy a better controller, and dryer.
Old 12/08/2005, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

ozone for most folks (home and public aquaria).... UV only for bare-bottomed commercial installations (its the only place they can be of any good use/value IMO due to their limitations of efficacy based on strict installation and water pre-treatment requirements which I have outlined in detailin this forum/the archives if anyone cares to delve further)

Hi Tony,

Are you positive that the germicidal power of ozone can compare with that of a UV?.

Why you advise UV for bare bottom commercial installations?I did search the forum as well as some relevant literature,like Spotte and your book but couldn´t find the reason.Only that you mention that importers dealing with lots of new poorly quarantined fish are in bad need of avoiding disease spread,but this doesn´t explain why UV should be chosen in this situation,being ozone a good bactericide as well.

I always used UVs and never tried ozone.I keep multiple tanks systems.Most are bare but some have DSBs.Given the other advantages of ozone exposed here,and the maintenance problems of UVs,I am considering to switch to ozone.

There is a plumbing problem though,as with skimmers,they can´t be hooked inline of the main return line.UVs can.If all bacterial kill happens within the skimmer/reactor,this means that many bacteriae can by-pass the ozonizer.
Old 12/09/2005, 12:14 AM
Parapterois heterura

I have to catch a plane in hours my friend... I regret I cannot answer at length, but I really have written about this (UV applications) redundantly here on RC and over at WWM.

UV is only variably effective and usually not applied/installed correctly.

To summarize... it is inferior in practical applications with typical hobbyists/installations. That is its big handicap. Installed correctly, it can be effective agaist some things.

As for bare-bottomed tanks... UV cannot affect what it cannot contact (in the light chamber). But ozone has an affect on water quality throughout the system.

Perhaps some other RC members will recall some threads where this is discussed before I get back in town.

With kind regards,

Anthony
Old 12/09/2005, 11:49 PM
Registered Member

Anthony, I am very interested in implimenting ozone.There are some things that are still scary to me but I know it has do to ignorance.In the case of a post early you suggested that the probe was not reading right and should be verified maybe even with someone elses probe. Is there a danger of overdosing the tank if your probe doesnt read right.If so how do you avoid this since I know you use ozone and are away from your tanks quite often.Are you ever fearful comming home and finding things sideways.Did your monitor come with its own probe or did you buy that seperate. I was suprised that oztech doesnt make all the accesories to go along with the generator, like the dryer ,monitor and such. Also if I understand this correctly ozone will not affect plankton in a neggative way if it is applied correctly Is that true? .In one of E.Born's articles he suggested it might but also blamed heavy skimming. I also understand there is a give and take to everything and he brought that up in the article as well. If there is some reduction in plankton is it becuase ozone depletes their food souce or does the ozone actually kill the plankton?
Old 12/10/2005, 04:28 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
As for bare-bottomed tanks... UV cannot affect what it cannot contact (in the light chamber). But ozone has an affect on water quality throughout the system.
Could you explain further how ozone affects water its not coming in contact with? I've been researching both options (UV & ozone) for weeks & haven't run across this anywhere else.

From what I've gathered the ozone reaction happens in the chamber/skimmer, nowhere else.
Old 12/12/2005, 01:42 AM
Parapterois heterura

for starters... the indirect/incidental benefits of ozone: increased O2 saturation and higher RedOx potential to the water shifting overall water quality in favor of target animal health, which is above and beyond the mere kill of pests and pathogens by ozone or UV alone on contact.
Old 12/12/2005, 01:58 AM
Brother Maynard

Quote:
Originally posted by tjay
well that is an interesting thing
the controller is a dual miluakee ph / orp
it came with fluid to calibrate the ph and instructions
there was no mention of calibrating the orp sensor

Where does one find instructions and fluid for calibrating the orp probe
i have a wilwaukee orp controller and was having 'issues' with it initially as it was giving unusually low orp readings.

i called milwaukee and the tech said to give it few days up to two weeks to 'break in'. mine took about 4 or 5 days to get a reasonable orp reading. the tech said to call him if it doesnt do it and he will get me some cal fluid out.

overall a good but not great product. would i buy another one from them? yeah, sure, price is good, reasonable product and good tech support.

i would definitely take one if it were free!

Ben.
Old 12/12/2005, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

Hmmm........that still doesn't change the fact that ozone can only affect the water that it is coming in contact with in the reaction chamber, just as a UV unit.

Both provide a better environment for target animal health. I wasn't trying to compare the benefits of the two, merely pointing out they can only effect the water that passes through the vessels.

I like what both technologies have to offer but ozone's O2 saturation benefit isn't one of them. That is easily acheived in any standard reef system.

Thanks for your comments.