Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 07:34 AM
Registered Member

Purple Up

Hi

Have anyone used Purple up
i am using it from last 15 days

How many days do u have do dose it to
see the growth in coroline

My parameters or ok

Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0
Calcium - 420
Ammonia - 0
Old 11/26/2007, 08:57 AM
Registered Member

nobody have used purple up?????????
Old 11/26/2007, 09:23 AM
Registered Member

anyone
Old 11/26/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

i use it everyday it takes a while and u have to have the ca in there already it just promotes the growth is all
Old 11/26/2007, 10:30 AM
Registered Member

so how mych time does it take
Old 11/26/2007, 10:43 AM
Insane Reefer

You must have healthy coralline algae present in the tank in order for it to begin growing elsewhere. Urchins will help spread coralline throughout a tank as they attempt to eat it; an urchin has a multi-pronged or beak like mouth that is great for crunching hard objects, however not very efficient at pulling the majority of that into its mouth. Therefore the majority of small flakes will float around the tank and settle elsewhere. If the parameters are good these flakes will begin to grow and spread. I've only had minimal results with Purple Up and prefer Aragamilk as an easy calcium supplement.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:14 AM
Registered Member

I have used it and had some success. I had the algea present already so it really enhanced what I had. I only bought it though because I got a really cheap deal. I think my partial success may be due to not using it as often as I should. I may do it once every two weeks. Keep going, it will come around.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:03 PM
Registered Member

I used it and it help my coralne agae but also increased my PH. If you use it check your water often.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

I really dont think you need it at all.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

I don't think you need it either. Coralline should take off on it's own if parameters are correct and it is present in the system. Coralline growth will also be affected by the intensity of your lights. I found it grows slower in more intense light.
Old 11/26/2007, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

I don't think you need it either. It just takes some time.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:24 PM
Registered Member

Not to be blunt, but that thing is nothing but a waste. of money. From my experience, I use B-Ionic 2 part and I get much better results than using purple up.
Old 11/26/2007, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

What kind of lights do you have?
Old 11/26/2007, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

I use Seachem. The coraline grows very rapidly...
Old 11/26/2007, 03:52 PM
Premium Member

I used purple up when I first started at the advice of my LFS. But after reading different threads with mixed opinions, I quit using it.

The consensus of most experienced reefers is unless your testing for it, additives are not necessarily a good thing. In addition to the regular tests (ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates), I test for calcium, alk, and magnesium.

When needed I also use Bionic 2 part, and I have good coraline growth and my corals are doing well.
Old 11/26/2007, 03:53 PM
Insane Reefer

Adding purple up, aragamilk, Kalkwasser or any other calcium supplement is a necessary addition unless you do large weekly water changes with a quality synthetic salt. In a tank with coralline, corals and/or clams the calcium is used to sustain and build upon and therefore the most used or quickest used chemical in saltwater aquariums. Using a supplement or calcium reactor is the easiest way to maintain the proper levels, but a test should be completed on a regular basis to know how much to add.

Natural SW has an average of 420-460ppm of Ca, but can be a bit higher in a reef tank. Now tanks above 500ppm can be as bad if worse than tanks with too little calcium. If the water is super saturated, then the calcium based organism cannot absorb what is needed. If there is too little calcium it is like us eating less than a snack and trying to do a hard days work.
Old 11/27/2007, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the replies guys
i will not order more of this stuff
Old 11/27/2007, 02:18 AM
Aquarium Addict

Purple Up is not recommended. Maintain your calcium and magnesium and coraline will flourish.
Old 11/27/2007, 04:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by samb
I used purple up when I first started at the advice of my LFS. But after reading different threads with mixed opinions, I quit using it.

The consensus of most experienced reefers is unless your testing for it, additives are not necessarily a good thing. In addition to the regular tests (ph, ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and phosphates), I test for calcium, alk, and magnesium.

When needed I also use Bionic 2 part, and I have good coraline growth and my corals are doing well.
I had almost the same experience. I was using IO which starts you out with pretty low calcium to begin with, and only dosing Purple up and Alk. I was going to wait until I ran out of Purple up before I switched to something else, but I couldn't get my Ca over 400 (even doubled the recommended daily dose on the Purple up bottle)

I switched to B-Ionic and haven't looked back.