Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

Planning 55

I am setting up a 55. I am getting about a 100 pounds of live rock.

The max stocking of fish will be: a pair of percula clowns, a pair of green clown gobies, a coral beauty, a purple firefish, and a royal gramma. In addition there will be small hermit crabs and snails for cleaning as well as other invertebrates like featherdusters.

I am trying to figure out what filtration I want to use. I may set it up with a sump and a Super Skimmer from Coralife. What do you guys think would be minimum for this setup?
Old 12/29/2007, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Sump and Skimmer are a must! I like the Pentair modular filter system with UV, Chemical, etc...
Old 12/29/2007, 07:55 PM
Registered Member

The sump would just house any extra live rock and others seem to think the skimmer is not even necessary with such a light load. I may use the sump for a refugium.
Old 12/29/2007, 09:07 PM
Registered Member

ok IMO, get the biggest skimmer you can afford the oct 150 NW is popular. (Never have used it myself) It is less than $200 and it is good for a tank IMO up to 90g in case you decided to upgrade.
If that is all the fish you are going to have i would skip on the sump and just go with a 20g fuge.
But if you insist on the sump i would do a 29g tank with a 10-17 gallon fuge inside the sump plus a skimmer

and really you dont even need a skimmer if you go with 29g sump/fuge as long as you do like 30% water changes like every 2 weeks.
With that small of a system with no corals i would not do a skimmer but if you insist the oct 150 NW would work
Old 12/29/2007, 09:18 PM
Registered Member

If I use a skimmer it will be the Super Skimmer. My cousin is breaking down his 90 and I am getting a good deal on anything I want. That is the skimmer he has.

If I did a sump it would be a refugium, otherwise nothing would be in it but the pump.

I am looking for minimum maintenance. I do not want to have to worry about water changes every week, or tweaking different things all the time. I am trying to keep it as simple as possible.