Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reefkeeping Online Magazine > Tank of the Month
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/11/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

Mike-- congrats on the tank-- beautiful job! I got hammered by AEFW this year also (good luck Chris) & am starting over with a whole new set-up. Pretty sure I'll be doing se for the halides, but tank is only 20" deep/high. I've seen other tanks w/Reeflux 400 watters & great colors-- what about the 250 watters? It seems the de versions don't have the same results & wasn't sure about the 250se-- any experience with those? (And yes I realize sps colors are based on many variables ) Thanks & again, great job.
Old 09/11/2007, 09:29 PM
Premium Member

Hey upsetter,

Mike asked me to post some pics of my coral under the 250w 12K Reeflux - I used ot use an EVC 14K before I switched over - honestly in 9 months time using the EVC , I did not get the growth I was looking for and then came across the 12K Reeflux - My bulb is about 8 inches from the water and the coral is all pretty high in the water column - my tank is also 20" deep.

Enjoy!

Here is a shot of my granulosa - It is way up on top and the lights kind of blow out the highlights up there - but you can get an idea of the color - These bulbs are still blue but have a bright white color to them - I am using an EVC ballast so I am unsure about the result using the Coralvue ballasts that are meant for these bulbs.

Here is an acan I got recently -

blue acro

Wouldn't mind an id on this one - you can see some new growth on the tips.

here is an encrusting monti - these have been known to go from purple to brown - not here - also since this bulb has been put on this encrusting monti has grown an inch or a bit more in a month's time. You can see about a 1/2 inch of new growth all the way around this little witch hat.

here is a green stag - it had blue tips before the 12K bulb but not as many - the blue tips have exploded and the tips are a half inch down on the coral now - pretty sweet

Hopefully that gives you an idea about the color these bulbs can produce - you have to remember I am using an EVC Electronic ballast and results may be different when using a coralvue ballast - I could only imagine it being better. Definitely other factors play a roll in coral color. Lighting is still needed obviously and there is a lot to choose from out there. These bulbs are definitely working out for me - they still have that blue tinge(not obnoxious though) and are much brighter than my previous 14K. I am awaiting my 12K 400w bulbs and ballasts for my new tank. Can't wait to fire them up
Old 09/11/2007, 09:48 PM
Registered Member

Wow BT2 very cool! Maybe the EVC ballasts are the way to go then What size will your new tank be? I'm afraid 400s for me would require some chiller action or so many fans the house might turn into a rainforest. I think 2 250s and 2 or 4 t5s would work for my new tank which will be 30" wide. Great job on the TOTM photos btw.
Old 09/11/2007, 09:58 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the complements on the photos. I think you may have misunderstood. I feel the EVC ballast "might" be a limiting factor in the output of the bulb. I think if a manufacturer makes a ballast specifically for a bulb than that is the way to go especially with the quality of the Coralvue bulbs. The EVC may be doing a good job as well - hard to tell which is better without some concrete testing. I just started a new tank so funds are rapt up there but eventually I am going to try out a 250w coralvue ballast to give it a run. Enjoy the bulbs - you won't regret it

Jim
Old 09/11/2007, 10:40 PM
Registered Member

Incredible tank. What an inspiration. I want to get back home and start working on mine. I am inspired all over again...

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 09/11/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

Wow!!! I am scarred for life! Words can do no justice to your pristine mini-ocean. I am awestruck and inspired by your work; and feel like such a noob. Congratulations on a well deserved TOTM.
Old 09/12/2007, 09:57 AM
Registered Member

Mike, All I can say is WOW Im an avid diver also and Ive never seen anything like that in the ocean! One other question do you have a life outside your tank How much time a week do you spend on your tank. And you can PM how much it cost you a month to run and keep up!!! Seriously thats the sweetest tank Ive ever seen.
Im kind of just a surfer on this site now I havent really posted much since the site started and got huge but couldnt pass up kudos on your tank.
Hey I live in Utah so when you get here give me a shout Id love to come see your tank.
I know Shaun pretty well he's the owner of Aquatica infact its a stones throw from my shop. He gets some nice stuff in. He's about 35 minutes from Heber. He'll get ya stuff you need. Can you fit anything else in your tank
Anyway congrats!!

Hey why you moving here? Where ya working.
Old 09/12/2007, 11:57 AM
Registered Member

Bubbletip2--- I gotcha regarding the EVC ballasts-- I just meant your corals look really nice too
Thanks again & good luck with the new tank!
Old 09/12/2007, 12:06 PM
Registered Member

Great tank!

Do you have any pictures of your media reactors? I noticed that you are using Seachem purigen did you have to do anything special since this media is so small?
Also how you are feeding the reactors?

Thanks,
Tim
Old 09/12/2007, 01:11 PM
Editor - Reefkeeping

Here are the media reactors. They are the ones labeled phos-reactor on the right side of the picture.

Last edited by Skipper; 09/12/2007 at 01:17 PM.
Old 09/12/2007, 02:10 PM
Registered Member

If I am not mistaken, he also places media like carbon in filter socks.
Old 09/12/2007, 02:54 PM
Registered Member

Truly great tank. I have been looking for more info on the Acan. Maculiceps but not much is mentioned. I did notice one for sale at Dr. F&S last month, how big was the fish when you purchased it?

Any other info on this species would be great.

Thanks, Jeff
Old 09/12/2007, 03:58 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by willjeff
Truly great tank. I have been looking for more info on the Acan. Maculiceps but not much is mentioned.
Any other info on this species would be great.

Thanks, Jeff
Hey Jeff and all others tuning in, the pics above of the acan,stag, monti, etc. are in my 30g cube. Mike had asked me to post some pics under a 250w 12K bulb for upsetter. Sorry for the confusion. No thread hijacking here...

Jeff,

There is actually a pretty cool article on fraggin acans in this month's issue of RK magazine. Also reference this article from the past:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-08/ebac/index.php
Old 09/12/2007, 04:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipper
Here are the media reactors. They are the ones labeled phos-reactor on the right side of the picture.

Thx's Skipper for jumping in....

Mike
Old 09/12/2007, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Now I'm really confused I was actually asking about the tang Acanthurus Maculiceps. Thanks, it's all good!

Jeff
Old 09/12/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Mike, gorgeous tank! Congrats! Best I have ever seen! O.G.
Old 09/12/2007, 05:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Now I'm really confused I was actually asking about the tang Acanthurus Maculiceps. Thanks, it's all good!

Jeff
PM sent....

Mike
Old 09/12/2007, 05:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oceangoddess
Mike, gorgeous tank! Congrats! Best I have ever seen! O.G.
Thank you Oceangoddess...If you have any other questions give me a shout.........

Mike
Old 09/12/2007, 05:44 PM
Premium Member

Quote:

Jeff
OOPS

Sorry Jeff,

I read your post a little too quick

Still good reading though...

Jim
Old 09/12/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

No problem bubbletip, alot of the time It's a whole nother story when you read something the second time.

Thank you, MIke

I appreciate it,
Jeff
Old 09/13/2007, 07:40 AM
SPS Kibitzer

Beautiful tank! Your philosophies on feeding and regular weekly wc's are right on the money!
Old 09/13/2007, 08:36 AM
Registered Member

to me it seems the more I feed the worse my water looks..I have about 300 gallons of water and feed about 4 cubs a day....should I increase this? also 50 gallon wc a week?
Old 09/13/2007, 08:45 AM
Premium Member

Joe give me a call today.....

Mike

PM sent
Old 09/13/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

beatiful tank..... is your house on a stemwall and if it is did you have to brace your floor for the weight or no?
i will be buying reflux bulbs very soon you have made me a believer. where did you purchase them was it from a website or a local store? way to go reef idol!!!!
Old 09/13/2007, 10:11 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by LPSkeeper
beatiful tank..... is your house on a stemwall and if it is did you have to brace your floor for the weight or no?
i will be buying reflux bulbs very soon you have made me a believer. where did you purchase them was it from a website or a local store? way to go reef idol!!!!
The tank is in my basement...It took 7 guys to get the tank in ...We had to cut a 40inch hole in the side of the house now we have a new window in our basement.....

Mike

PM sent