Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/03/2004, 06:04 PM
Premium Member

lumps on false percs?

Both of my newly aquired false percs have very stringy white poo. They are in QT being treated with pipzine for internal parasites (been QT'd for 3 days, 2 treatments so far) Yesterday I noticed that one of them has 2 "lumps" on his side. The best way to describe them is, there seems to be something under his skin (parasite?) causing a raised lump. Almost like a pimple that is not quite ready to be popped. Sorry if that is gross visual, but that is the best way to describe it. I have tried to search for my answer with no luck. Hopefully someone can help me figure out what these lumps are, and will the pipzine take care of it? Are they just another symptom from the internal parasites that I know they have? Thanks
Old 04/04/2004, 05:35 AM
Registered Member

I have a false perc. in hospital tank at the moment. It began having a raised brownish bump under the chin, shortly after being introduced to the main tank.
After a while (5-7 days maybe), a white fuzz appeared on the bump.
When I searched posts, I found that white fuzz is generally taken to be a bacterial infection, so I began treating with Nifurpirinol antibiotic (Aqua Furan). I'm not sure it is helping though.

Anyway, I'm tagging along on your thread

sorenb
Old 04/04/2004, 07:32 AM
20 and over club

Please post the water parameters of the quarantine tank. Are the bumps the same colour as the skin?

Internal parasites should not cause lumps like that.
Old 04/04/2004, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

PH-8.2
ammonia-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-0
salinity-34

I now believe it must be an internal bacterial infection, I've heard that this also causes white stringy poo. I am going to filter QT with carbon for a little while to remove the pipzine, do a large water change, and treat with nitrofurazone. Does this sound right?
Old 04/04/2004, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

yes , the bumps are same color as skin, maybe a little lighter colored at the tip of the bump. But, for the most part, it is a raised orange bump.

They also seem to be breathing rapidly.
Old 04/04/2004, 05:26 PM
20 and over club

Is there any excess mucus? Is it possible the string faeces are actually mucus coming off the fish?

I'm starting to thing your fish may have Brooklynella, especially with the rapid breathing. Get hold of some fresh formalin and administer a formalin bath.
Old 04/04/2004, 06:40 PM
Premium Member

no mucus, defiitely white stringy feces.

I have read that internal bacterial infections can cause these symptoms, rapid breathing, string poo, and body ulcers. Sound right? I'm having a real hard time finding exacly what this is. Hopefully I will begin to see some improvement! Thanks for your replies
Old 04/05/2004, 10:18 AM
Premium Member

Well, today they are more active, swimming around shaking against each other as clowns do. They are also more interested in food. I still saw a little white stringy feces. The 1 still has 2 "pimples", but overall they seem better. Would still like to know what these "pimples" are???
Old 04/05/2004, 06:53 PM
20 and over club

If the parasites are in the intestines, they can cause stringy faeces, but should not cause rapid breathing (other than indirectly through stress) or ulcers on the body. External parasites and infections are more likely to cause rapid breathing and/or ulcers or tumors.

I'd say the bumps are more likely to be some kind of external infection, probably bacterial. Improving the water quality should help.