Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Lounge
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/28/2004, 12:34 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Power Inverters

I got a question about power inverters. This summer I am going to be moving. I need to take my freezer. Its contents MUST be KEPT FROZEN.....It cannot thaw out at any point in time. So Im thinking of loading my truck with the freezer and getting a power inverter and hooking it up to a battery to keep it running.

Im not sure if this will work, and if it will what size inverter I need. They all go by wattage....I only have the volts and amps on my freezer. My freezer says the volts are 115 and the amps are 5....From my limited knowledge that gives me 575 watts. I was told at the store that to run a freezer I would need at least a 4000 watt power inverter.....Im not understanding this......Is this correct? Or would it be just cheaper to rent a generator for the trip. The inverter would be nice as I could use it afterwards and get more use then one time, thus the reason Im thinking of buying one...but if it wont work then I will get a generator.

What do you guys think?
Old 03/28/2004, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

the thing your forgetting is that the truck is 12 v so your converting to 110v Amp pulls 10 times more watts at 12 then 110.
Also you need to make sure that the 5 amps is starting amps and not run amps. The compressors in freezers take more energy to start up then to run. this will make a big difference. Basically look at the tag and see if the amp draw is labeled FLA or LRA. FLA is full load amps this is run amps. LRA is Lock Rotor amps this is Starting amps.
Your right on the conversion to watts just remember to figure in the conversion for voltage. Might be better to just go rent a generator then to by a power inverter. Won't be as much load on the electrical system of your truck and maybe less expense.
Old 03/28/2004, 02:05 AM
have fun with it!~)

why not dry ice?
Old 03/28/2004, 02:56 AM
Where's my motorcycle?

I think renting a generator is a great idea.
Old 03/28/2004, 02:58 AM
have fun with it!~)

rent a icecream truck! he he he
Old 03/28/2004, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by big_dilli
the thing your forgetting is that the truck is 12 v so your converting to 110v Amp pulls 10 times more watts at 12 then 110.
No no no no! The power (wattage) is the same at all voltages (except for small losses - in the inverter fx.). Just use P=U*I

Anyway, 500 Watts is really a lot. If this is drawn from the generator in a car for long periods, I would be concerned.

Rent a normal generator, or fill the freezer with dry ice. I'd say.

sorenb
(wondering what could be in the freezer...)
Old 03/28/2004, 11:25 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Dry Ice wont work as the freezer will be full with no room for the ice.......

I was thinking of renting a generator also, but thought I could get more use out of an inverter down the line anyway, but the generator maybe the better option.

How much do generators cost to rent, and how much wattage do I need?
Old 03/28/2004, 11:27 AM
Tiny Miracles.

Quote:
Originally posted by sorenb

(wondering what could be in the freezer...)
If you must know....My son was born 3 months premature. The freezer is full of frozen breast milk for him. It has to be kept frozen and not allowed to thaw unless you want to use it in 24 hours. Theres over 150 bottles of milk in the freezer that I must keep frozen at all cost for my son.......
Old 03/28/2004, 02:11 PM
have fun with it!~)

i would really use dry ice! it will stay cold no matter what. if it is as important as a life line for your child then unpack the freezer right into an icechest full of dry ice(or 2 or how many you need). the generator or inverter have a greater chance of failing. i wish you and your child the best!
lets say this is like cyclop-eeze which melts very quick and should never be defrosted. they ship it around the country with dry ice with no problems!
god bless you and your child!

Last edited by sagitariuscbc; 03/28/2004 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03/28/2004, 05:41 PM
Hola

How about refrigerated trucks/moving companies that may help you with this?