Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/03/2004, 11:13 PM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Were they joking?

I have read where some people say that you should "Super Glue" coral frags and some sessile inverts into place. Is this safe? It seems to me that cyanoacrylates would be poisonous.... if this is not safe then how do you keep frags in place? As long as the subject is broached, is there a safe way to adhere lr pieces together to prevent rockslides?
Old 04/03/2004, 11:21 PM
SPS PIMP

I use super glue all the time as well as many others. Works great with no ill effects to any livestock
Old 04/03/2004, 11:25 PM
Mr. Oopie Doopie

Super-glue gel is safe for corals. You can use underwater epoxy for sticking your rocks together.
Old 04/03/2004, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

I use the super glue gel all the time for coral, just be careful, as it takes takes some time to get good at it. Strings and things, as it starts to set up fast when it hits the water.
Old 04/04/2004, 12:42 AM
Formerly fleetmarine79

Super glue gel user here, and had felt the same way you did. Everything is fine so far.
Old 04/04/2004, 01:28 AM
Moved On

I can relate. The first time I heard "superglue gel", I thought "wait a minute, this can't be good"?

It's all good. I don't even glue my fingers together any more

Just got back from a major frag swap and I must have spent an hour just mounting SPS.

The cheapest two-part epoxy good for sticking live rock can be found at Home Depot, brand name "aquamend".
Old 04/04/2004, 04:08 AM
i'm here for you two

i use superglue gel i keep it in the freezer......and under water epoxy........i think everyone that was new thought the same thing don't worry it's all safe......when i frag things in my tank i get some cheap live rock like 2.99 lb some small pieces. i have some deep dish pie pans used just for this.....put a some tank water in there take out the piece of coral i cut then glue it on the rock let it sit for a bit to make sure the glue held.......then put it back into the tank. done this for 1 1/2 with no ill effect good luck

A wedding? I love weddings! Drinks all around! "Cap'n jack sparrow"
Old 04/04/2004, 05:43 AM
yeah,... so what?

same here, go for it!
Old 04/04/2004, 06:00 AM
Registered Member

Cyanoacrylate is used for gluing in surgery on humans.
Also works well on mushroom and leather corals (and many more).

sorenb
Old 04/04/2004, 11:44 PM
Fish nerd

I still haven't figured out the best way to get the super glue gel to actually stick under water. What am I doing wrong? Can someone tell me the secret? Do you apply the glue above or under the water's surface? It seems to set up so fast that I can't get it positioned before it's set.

My funny super glue story: This week, hubby was helping me glue a couple zoanthid polyps that had blown loose. His job was holding up the canopy and passing me the super glue. When he handed the glue to me, I stuck what I thought was a capped tube into my mouth. All he could say was "uh uh uh uh...", luckily we've been married long enough that I knew he actually meant "take the open tube of super glue out of your mouth, dummy!" Yep, got super glue all over my lip. At least I had the sense to keep from gluing my lips together!! (Do you think he was actually trying to accomplish that??)

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 04/04/2004, 11:47 PM
SPS PIMP

gluing softies can be difficult. IME they always mucus loose from the glue. If you're gluing a hard frag, dry the part you're going to glue, put a dab of glue, dip it in the tank, take it out and blow on it until the glue turns from clear to white, then press it on the rock and twist until it grabs.
Old 04/04/2004, 11:55 PM
Fish nerd

Aaaahhhh, so the glue is best for sps or lps, not so much for softies. I can see how the mucus interferes but what can I do instead?

Animals are such agreeable friends - they ask no questions, they pass no criticisms.
-George Eliot
Old 04/04/2004, 11:58 PM
SPS PIMP

sorry i'm not really a softie expert but in the past I used bridal veil netting to hold softies to rocks until they adhere. i also used rubberbands and even speared corals into rocks with tooth pics

I guess thats why I switched over to SPS
Old 04/05/2004, 06:17 AM
Registered Member

I sowed my xenia to rocks as suggested by someone else, works good so far, once they attach firmly just take thread off of it. I havn't superglued anything yet though...
Old 04/05/2004, 07:32 AM
Premium Member

For non-softies, put the superglue on it, dip it briefly to get a coating and then put more gel on it and finally attach it by twisting and squishing it together. For softies, its better to try to get it to attach to some rubble, then glue the rubble to where you want it.
Old 04/05/2004, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Do you guys think it's better to glue rocks and stuff together?? I thought about buying some the other night when I got my new base rock but I figured it would be okay without it. Now I'm all paranoid that one of these rocks is gonna fall on somebody!
Old 04/05/2004, 09:27 AM
Have grits... will travel

Here's a Reefkeeping Online article that might help out:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-1...ture/index.htm

AMERICAN by birth... SOUTHERN by the Grace Of God!