Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/02/2004, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Underwater dust bunnies

Okay, after almost 4 months the hair algae is starting to recede. I recently took 90% of the rocks out one by one and hand scrubbed. Scrubbing around the frags was a chore. The next week it was coming back! Now it looks like it might be receding.

However, my new problem is, as this dies off and floats to the bottom it is collecting in what looks like underwater dust bunnies. I have hermits and some turbos and a starfish but they dont touch these. In this 125 tank it is hard for me to reach a lot of the areas where this stuff is floating. I have a closed loop of about 800gph and my sump is pumping about 700gph so it shouldnt be a circulation problem.

What eats underwater dust bunnies? I am afraid that this detritus will just feul the fire of the hair algae and it will start all over. Please help!
Old 03/02/2004, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

Oh, and I might want to add that I am only feeding rinsed food once a week, using ro/di water, doing weekly 10-25% water changes, using the turkey baster, and have cut back my lights. I have also tried most of the suggested hair algae eaters, most of which prefer the corraline. None of this has worked and I hate to say but I must agree with those who said it is a cycle and wait it out. I just want to try to prevent it from coming back
Old 03/03/2004, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

^^^^
Old 03/03/2004, 01:30 AM
Reefer

I think you'll have to remove the dust bunnines manually.

I just can't think of any dustbunnivores....
Old 03/03/2004, 02:08 AM
Registered Member

Siphon them out.
You must be able to reach them with a flexible hose?
Otherwise, blow water at the bunnies, so they will settle elsewhere, and then siphon out.

That's what I did.

-sorenb