Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/16/2007, 12:29 PM
Registered Member

Poisoning?

I was just reading one of my old books, the marine aquarium in theory and practice, second edition, revised. Last publication 1985. It was written by dr. cliff emmens.

Believe it or not, it is very comparable to a lot of current info found here at R/C. There is a photo of an Angel with almost the exact appearance of the blotches on my Queen. It is the opinion of the author that it's caused by poisoning. It reminds me of why I bought an RODI unit several months ago. The water in the tank is most likely 100% RODI, because of huge # of water changes I have made since I obtained it. I am trying to eliminate the potential source of the problem through the process of elimination. He refers to the blotches as TYPICAL of poisoning. We all know about washing of our hands and anything we place in the tank. It refers to” thorough rinsing in clean fresh-water after washing”. I forget to wash my hands on many occasions, perhaps if there is some immediate reason to put my hands in or I just forget. I also believe that I really don't practice enough” THOROUGH rinse in clean fresh-water after washing".
It refers to items that we may use for whatever reason that may introduce toxic substances. I was thinking about it and I just realized that I use many items cleaned in our dish washer. It then came to mind that we use a rinse agent to eliminate spotting of the dishes, cups, etc washed in it. Now I'm thinking this could be caused by several poisoning agents. Those are just 2 of the ones that come to mind, and I'm sure there probably several others. I'm now going to think of every potential way I may be introducing poisons into my water. I wanted to let everyone know that in some undiagnosed diseases, we may in fact, in some cases be poisoning our tank. I would guess that many fish are not as sensitive to these agents, thus we may think the disease only attacks certain fish.

Last edited by Steve_B; 03/16/2007 at 12:37 PM.
Old 03/16/2007, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

will running plenty of carbon not help with this.

i myself never used to take enough care here however. i am vey careful now.

All of the universe and I am the only one
All of creation, and there's only this one of me.
All of everything, and what I am now will never come again.
Old 03/16/2007, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

yea, I'm always running carbon and Purgeon(sp?), and that did occor to me as well. I change the carbon out at least once a month. Some believe it is really only good for about a week, and I'm inclined to agree with that. I'm clutching at straws now. Wrasses are sensitive to low salt, and I have 3 in my tank. I'm at 1.15 right now, and was planning on going down to 1.09, gauging it with my refractomer. I would never want to to put my beatiful $200 tusk or Huge fat Naso in danger . I think the wrasses are the only ones in any danger, but the change in behavior is fery little.
Old 03/17/2007, 01:59 PM
Registered Member

I'm sorry for not asking this in my opening of the topic. I have been told that it may be several different problems, and several different treatments.
Does anybody have pictures of a fish with the same looking condition?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW, it eats like a pig, and aside from the blotches its behavior is completely normal.

No hiding, heavy respiration, scraping against things to get something off, or any other typical signs of a problem.