Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > NorthEast Region-Reef Club Forums > Long Island Reef Association (LIRA)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/06/2007, 04:42 PM
Premium Member

MH Light Question/Help

I have had the Cadlights w/ 25g with MH hqi since december with no problems regarding the light. Today when I came home the ballast was humming but the light was off, probably due to a brownout. (it was like this for about an hour) I have seen this before but usually I let it cool and fire it back up. It isn't letting me do that today? When I try to fire up the light there is a tiny flash in the bulb then just a hum in the ballast.

The thing that is really bothering me is that my controller that sits right next to it BUGS out when I try to fire it up. I have to recalibrate it and things go on that are not supposed to. So I am assuming it is a magnetic ballast and the not firing is causing some disruption.

Can anyone shed some light (no pun intended); could it be the bulb or the ballast?
Old 10/06/2007, 05:21 PM
Registered Member

I'm not familiar with your light but with metal halides, the ballast rarely goes bad, often its the capacitor. Easiest thing to do is to put a new bulb in, if it doesn't work then the capacitor is next to check. My guess is its the bulb in your case.
Old 10/06/2007, 05:48 PM
Premium Member

There is a faint glow in the bulb; while the ballast is on. The thing that makes me think it is the ballast is why would it be affecting my controller?

Anyplace I could get a double sided bulb 150K bulb on LI not too expensive?

How many days can I go with actinics? Some zoos, rics, some LPS (torch and Frogspawn) and (and a few rainbow monti, pavona cactus, bird's nest, blue tortosa) SPS
Old 10/06/2007, 06:10 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jgiordano
There is a faint glow in the bulb; while the ballast is on. The thing that makes me think it is the ballast is why would it be affecting my controller?

Anyplace I could get a double sided bulb 150K bulb on LI not too expensive?

How many days can I go with actinics? Some zoos, rics, some LPS (torch and Frogspawn) and (and a few rainbow monti, pavona cactus, bird's nest, blue tortosa) SPS

Aquahut in Coram quoted me $50 for 175w HQI DE. He's open all day on Sunday. Maybe it's in stock. Don does stock alot of bulbs.

Another option;
Here's cheap but maybe not too fast. He's only in PA. Maybe he can overnight it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/150W-HQI-14K-DE-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10/07/2007, 05:41 PM
Premium Member

Alot of people are complaining about their fixtures, even if they replace it I might not take it. I am considering buying an outer orbit from jcaquatics does he post here?
Old 10/07/2007, 08:13 PM
Registered Member

Based on what you are describing, it sounds like the bulb is bad. I had a similar situation with another fixture and replacing the bulb fixed the problem.
Old 10/08/2007, 07:57 PM
Registered Member

I can loan you a 150 W DE bulb if you'd like to test your fixture. LMK
Old 10/08/2007, 08:42 PM
Premium Member

Thanks chemisfun11; I got another bulb and it isn't the bulb. I has to be the ballast. Now I just have to figure out If I want to get the company to replace it or go with a new fixture.