Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Marine Aquarists Roundtable of Sacramento (MARS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/10/2007, 02:06 PM
My tank is too full

Where do you have your tank?

I have a smaller house in East Sac and I am debating the new tank and size. I am going back and forth btween a two sided in wall project or a 180 or so in the back room.

Right now I have my tank in the front room for all to see. I like it there because it is easily visble. The back room would allow me to get a larger tank with less prep work.

So, where do you keep your main tank?

To thine own self be true
Old 12/10/2007, 02:16 PM
Reefer Extraordinaire

Always keep it where you will be most of the time. I love to see my work, and show it off to all who visit. Another bonus is that you will be more apt to keep it maintained if it was in the main room given the publicity.
Old 12/10/2007, 02:25 PM
My tank is too full

I feel the same way. My wife will not let me hang a fixture in the main living room so that leaves out anything that is not finished with a canopy. I could always do a two day tear down and rebuild where evreything is currently located.

There are just so many possiblities, the only problem is, I need to get the OK from the boss on anything I do.

Old 12/10/2007, 02:56 PM
Softie Lover

Mine is a room divider between my family room and living room. The wifey also has to ok everything, but i was lucky enough to have a "boss" that is cool with DIY as long as it looks somewhat neat.
Old 12/10/2007, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I would definitely keep it in the main room.

You want your hobby (that you spend a 10th +/- of your income on.) in the room that you are mainly in. I've gotten a bunch of friends into the hobby and they all love to view the tank. My 24 gallon cube was in the L of my couches and constantly being scraped with a magnetic cleaner by many of my friends. I'd find that i was watching the tank almost as much as the TV (same with my friends.) Now I have a 55 in my main room, I don't get the benefit of free maintenance from all of my friends but they love looking at it and so do I.
Old 12/10/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

mines along the kitchen wall next to the dinner table which is right next to the living room...
Old 12/10/2007, 04:22 PM
Premium Member

I am going through the same issue. I know you know all this are probably looking for confirmation of something you have already decided. So....

If I am home, I spend the most time in my loft, on the computer. Hauling water up and down the stairs is not high on my list of enjoyable activities. I am thinking about moving the computer downstairs to accomodate a bigger tank build.

Can I incorporate a water source without the house looking like a plumbing nightmare?

How about sunlight? It would provide much better growth for corals and algae. Do I want to deal with that scraping every day, but see more color and growth?

Will an overflow or leak wreck the house if I put it here?

I'm not an in-wall fan. One view (or even two) of the tank is just not enough for me. So many small things can appear on their own, good and bad, wherever they want. One view effectively reduces half of your placement area for livestock. I'm a big fan of room dividers or penisula-styles. Personal preference.
Old 12/10/2007, 07:42 PM
Chief Cat Herder

Island Style

Mine is a room divider (Island Style) between my living room and my dining room...

This is an 18" deep tank. I was tempted to put in a 24" tank but I thought it would look less like a room divider and more like a big tank sitting in the middle of a room.
Old 12/10/2007, 08:06 PM
Registered Member

I have a corner tank next to my fireplace in my family room. Visible from the kitchen and nook, not from the living room.

Recent aquisitions:
Coral -> Ponape Seriatopora
Fish -> Pseudocheilinus hexataenia (Six Line Wrasse)
Gadget -> Eheim 1262
Old 12/10/2007, 08:23 PM
Registered Member

The 125 FW and 75 Reef are along the dining room wall where one would normally put a hutch. The 29 is on the dining room wall next to the kitchen. All are viewable from livingroom, kitchen, dining room and front yard when the lights are on.

Its a must to have them in the room I spend the most time in.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:33 PM
Premium Member

I have my 135 FW (someday SW) in the main livingroom set against the back wall. When people come into my house it is the first thing they see. The occasional door-to-door salesperson, mailman, and pizza delivery person always notice when I open the door. I've come close to inviting a few of them in because they were so fascinated.

The 28 SW is just a quick turn into the livingroom, and at night is viewable from the street if I decide to leave the blinds open. Hopefully it brings an occasional pause to the late night dog-walker giving them some relief from the din of television glow in all the other homes.
Old 12/11/2007, 12:39 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mike1962
I have my 135 FW (someday SW)
Come now Mike, seize the moment! Today should be that day!!! LOL.
Old 12/11/2007, 01:59 PM
Premium Member

LOL!

I would Jeremy, but I know I'll be moving at some point in the next six months so it just isn't worth the headache to tear it down just as it starts going....So Jeremy, you're one to talk, you still delaying the 250?? LOL
Old 12/11/2007, 02:18 PM
Premium Member

LOL! If this stinkin' house would ever sell, I would set it up! All it's doing now is taking up space in my garage and collecting dust. Such a shame as it's a beautiful setup.
Old 12/11/2007, 02:40 PM
Premium Member

Maybe you need to rent out your current house so you can move, so you can set up that 250 gallon beauty! Priorities after all!

Seriously though, that has got to be frustrating, just having it sit there in the garage.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:08 PM
August TFR Relay '07

i keep ours where its shared by everyone

Old 12/11/2007, 10:11 PM
My tank is too full

Tim, now that I see yo0u tank online, I think you need some more fish. John had two really nice female lyretails in today.

Old 12/11/2007, 10:35 PM
Registered Member

Talking

nice tim

what do you have in those containers?

Mark, I think it's time for you to post yours...
Old 12/11/2007, 10:40 PM
August TFR Relay '07

lol! jay - i was hoping no one would notice that . just a little sand that the leopard and radiant wrasse call home. also holds frags of my older hammer and frogspawn coral.
Old 12/11/2007, 10:43 PM
My tank is too full

Jay- Why would I even want to post a picture of my hooptie after Tim just posted a picture of his benz

Old 12/11/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

lol. yeah right ...hooptie.. that's funny.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:30 PM
Premium Member

Hey Mark where your 90 gal is, is a great spot. You should put whatever you build right where it is. As for your tank being a hooptie i think not. It's Beautiful! lol But a 180 if you built it would be spectacular! Oh i didnt tell you im building a 120 should be up after the new year.

David

My Photo Bucket ~~> http://s156.photobucket.com/albums/t23/D_KSac/
Old 12/11/2007, 11:32 PM
My tank is too full

That cool David. I think I saw you post that somewhere else. LMK if you need any help in planning it out.

Old 12/11/2007, 11:35 PM
August TFR Relay '07

Quote:
Originally posted by Marko9
Jay- Why would I even want to post a picture of my hooptie after Tim just posted a picture of his benz
c'mon now guys...its not a contest. this club needs to post more tank pics in general imho.
Old 12/11/2007, 11:40 PM
My tank is too full

Why is that friends gave push you when all you want to do is go watch Bourne

This one is really blue, no WB at all. Maybe I'll get one this week for ya'll. BTW, my fish are on meth