Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/30/2007, 02:28 PM
Registered Member

Tang's skin peeling off?

Hi all,

I've had my tang for several months but recently he started fighting with the yellow Tang again (after I rearranged the rocks) and I saw some scuffs on his skin (which I thought were from fighting) but now it looks like one whole side of his body the skin is just scraping/coming off in layers. Is this some kind of bacterial infection? Should I remove the fish?

It's a convict Tang. I also noticed that his top/bototm fins are now/now turning yellow.

Here are pictures:

Last edited by GuOD; 06/30/2007 at 02:48 PM.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:32 PM
Registered Member

It could be HLLE, Head Lateral line erosion maybe, check over at tthe sick fish forum.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:38 PM
reef obsessed

I'd get him into QT asap.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:49 PM
Registered Member

I added some pictures.

I don't have a QT setup just now so I'll likely siphon some water from the tank and get it setup shortly. I don't know if I'm able to catch the fish though. Until today it didn't look bad at all and it was still eating etc.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:53 PM
Registered Member

reminds me of my blueline that died, looked similar to that and he died quick. Looked like his flesh was eroding.
Old 06/30/2007, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tangyreefer05
reminds me of my blueline that died, looked similar to that and he died quick. Looked like his flesh was eroding.
That's exactly what it looks like. The fish had been perfectly healthy until it just started happening. It was still eating and would rush to the veggie clip everyday except today.