Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/29/2005, 10:56 PM
Voice of Reason

H&S Skimmer Club

Well, It seems every other brand of skimmer has its own "club" thread so to celebrate the imminent arrival of my H&S A150-F2001 skimmer I figured I would start a new club for H&S skimmers.

My new skimmer should arrive tomorrow so I'll have some high quality pictures (w/a Canon 20D) to post of a brand spanking new H&S skimmer tomorrow.

In the meantime, I'll start off with some FAQ stuff:

The H&S website:

http://www.hsaquaristik.de/

Where I bought my skimmer (this is not the only dealer of H&S...please post others that you know of):

http://www.finsreef.com

Brian at finsreef is on RC and goes by "FinsReef" around here. You can send him a PM or email him at finsreef@mindspring.com.

Model Info:

H&S makes both in-sump (non-recirculating) and external (recirculating) skimmers of various sizes. The external skimmers can also be run in-sump.

Model numbers that start with the letter "A" are external/recirculating models. If they don't have an "A" they are in-sump/non-recirculating.

Pumps:

H&S skimmers (currently) come with 1 or more of 3 different pumps: Aqua Bee 2000, Aqua Bee 2001, or Eheim 1260. The type and number is indicated in the model number of the skimmer:

An A200-2xF2001 would have 2 Aqua Bee 2001 pumps, etc.

Note: They do have some other special pumps for VERY large skimmers. Check out the H&S website for more info on these if you are interested.

Skimmer Body Sizes:

The skimmer body size is also indicated on the model number. The first number of the model number (200 in the above example) is the diameter of the tube in mm. H&S skimmers currently come in 110 mm (4.3"), 150 mm (5.9"), 200 mm (7.9"), and 300 mm (11.8") sizes (for normal sized tanks...they do make some with larger tubes).
Old 03/29/2005, 11:00 PM
Voice of Reason

Oh, and one more thing: please do not make any posts that are off topic or of the "my skimmer is better than yours" variety. If you don't have a question about H&S skimmers, have something constructive to add, or just want to show off your H&S skimmer then please post your comments elsewhere.
Old 03/30/2005, 09:32 AM
Premium Member

Proud member of the H&S club. Here is mine

I'm a happy camper!
Old 03/30/2005, 09:45 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

I am on my second H&S skimmer, I just received my A300 3x1260 Eheim yesterday. The thing is awesome. The construction is superb. I like the built in adjuster tube. It's just as easy as a gate valve once you get the hang of it, and the weight won't stress the acrylic/riser tube joint like a gate valve will.

I bought both of them from Brian at Finsreef, as well as some other high end or hard to find equipment.

I will post pix this weekend or early next week!

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 03/30/2005, 01:25 PM
Voice of Reason

Well, while waiting for my skimmer this morning I decided to put together some general skimmer tips. Most of these were taken and summarized from a thread over on Anthony Calfo's forum: http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...5&pagenumber=1

Skimmer Tips:

- Feed the skimmer with water directly from the tank for optimal efficiency. If you feed your skimmer with water that has already been skimmed then you are reducing the percentage of unskimmed water that could have been skimmed. This can be done by feeding directly from an overflow or by separating the feed/return lines in your sump to be in different compartments.

- Skim as small a slice of water as possible off the top of your tank to bring the most organics down to your skimmer.

- Increase water flow in the tank so that detritus is suspended and can be sent down the overflow

- Skimmers sitting in large sumps getting their feed from the bottom of the sump will not be as effective as being fed directly from the overflow or from water at the top of the sump. Proteins, etc. can migrate to the top of the sump water and not be skimmed.

- In sump skimmers should be placed in a constant water level compartment so that the water level in the skimmer does not vary. Usage of a dosing pump to keep the water level in the return pump compartment will also help (if the skimmer is placed there). Also, keep turbulence down to a minimum so the water level won't fluctuate.

- Skimmers work more efficiently after a certian amount of organic matter has built up on the neck of the skimmer...this helps to support the foam column. This can take anywhere from 12-48 hours after being cleaned to occur. However, skimmer performance will eventually degrage because of too much organic accumulation. You'll have to experiment to find the optimal cleaning frequency for your tank/skimmer combo.

- Too much surface agitation in the tank can reduce the efficiency of surface skimming.

- Oils from your hands/arms and fish foods (silversides, etc.) will cause skimmate production to drop.

- Try adding an air filter to your air inlet of your skimmer if you have or suspect a large amount of contaminants in the air (air fresheners, etc.).

- Run an air line outside to bring in fresh air. Can help lower pH if you have a well sealed house with high levels of CO2.

Well, that's it for now. The UPS guy is here and it's time to unpack the thing...should have some pics after lunch.
Old 03/30/2005, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

I have just purchased a 2nd hand 2x1260 ehiem H&S skimmer

curently run a deltec TS1060.

Will post piccies soon.
Old 03/30/2005, 06:42 PM
Voice of Reason

Here's the first pic of my new skimmer. This thing is built like a tank!

Old 03/30/2005, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

H&S skimmer

Wish i had a pick on hand , but i do love the construction of the H&S skimmers. I had a large deltec skimmer before i settled for an H&S 450 - 5 X eheim/ pinwheel external system . A monster to say the least !!!
cheers
bernie lyons
Old 03/31/2005, 08:38 AM
Premium Member

I have a A300=1260x3

I have used it now for a couple of month and am impressed with the consistency and performance.
Old 03/31/2005, 08:10 PM
Premium Member

Is any one aware of other H&S retailers in the US?

Thanks,

Scott
Old 04/01/2005, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Hi,

A question for those with H&S skimmer that has 2 or more pump:

Will the skimmer continues to produce skimmate when 1 of the pump fails?

Thanks.
Old 04/01/2005, 08:25 AM
RC Sponsor

Shieldk,
Yes the skimmer will still produce some skimmate, but the production will be limited due compared to running 2 pumps.
Old 05/11/2005, 03:38 PM
It's all about colors!

Sign me up for the club, I just ordered an A150 from Brian. Can't wait to get it.

Tom
Old 05/21/2005, 10:27 AM
Blob Sculpin:King of Fish

Are there laminated club cards? I need a few more cards to balance out my wallet.

I have a question for the H&S crowd:
If you run a recirculating skimmer in a sump, does the water level really matter? I have an A200-1260 that is currently out of sump, fed with a dedicated pump. For my new setup, I want to move my skimmer into my sump and feed it with a gravity line split off my main overflow that I can tune with a valve. As long as the water level in the sump is below the skimmer outflow (lets hope so!) there shouldn't be any issues, right?
Thanks.
Old 05/21/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

I´ll be at H&S next friday , and I think Ulli( the boss) will be very happy to hear about your club .And all the satisfied H&S skimmer users.
Old 05/21/2005, 12:41 PM
Registered Member

My a150 is due in on monday... I am so anxious I am foaming at the mouth.
Old 05/21/2005, 01:34 PM
Premium Member

I don't own one, but I do have a question about them. I notice in the picture a few posts up that there in a input to feed directly from the overflow/tank. Do you not worry about a snail getting down there? Or a (stranger things have happened) fish?

Walter
Old 05/23/2005, 01:01 PM
Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally posted by whaase
I don't own one, but I do have a question about them. I notice in the picture a few posts up that there in a input to feed directly from the overflow/tank. Do you not worry about a snail getting down there? Or a (stranger things have happened) fish?

Walter
Well, If a fish got in there at least he wouldn't die of asphyxiation!
Old 05/23/2005, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

Well, I'm finally part of the club. I got my a150 in today (thank you very much finsreef).

First impressions...

The extruded acrylic used on these skimmers are far superior to some of the extruded acrylic I've seen on other products (namely the TLF phosban reactor). I still think that from an aesthetic perspective, the cast acrylic used on other skimmers is better.

I believe the use of PVC for the base and the skimmer cup lid was a better choise than the ABS plastic used by deltec. I will say that the PVC lid on my euro reef cs 6-1 (hooked up on another tank) feels a little more "weighty" than the lid on my H&S.

The good news is that this thing is built like a tank. Support braces are used everywhere where any potential weakness may exist. I guess it goes to show that it's not necessarily the materials you use, it's how well you use the materials.

H&S's experience in building skimmers is also very evident. They have worked out a lot of the issues that euro reef seems to be struggling with. First, the fittings that attach the pump to the skimmer body use two different sizes, one of the in and one for the out. Seems simple but euro reef didn't think to do it and wound up with a beta tester who had an inverted pump. Second, the bracing on the potential week points. Third, a fitting that controls water level is standard on the entire line. Now that I have fiddled with this skimmer, I've come to realize that the biggest problem with my euro reef cs 6-1 is that stupid riser pipe. (That and the smug people who own that company, but that is a different story). Lastly, the stand. This H&S skimmer stands perfectly still on it's onw either with the recirc pump on or off. I wonder if euro reef could say the same about their skimmers.

Ultimately, I still believe that the materials in this skimmer are at best equivalent to the materials used in the higher end american skimmers. I believe the premium one pays to buy an H&S or a deltec really has to do with the skill and experience of the people who build those skimmers. If I had to do it again, I would definitely still buy the a150.

For those of you who are shopping for skimmers, give these skimmers a close look. They may cost a little more but ultimately, they are worth the money.

P.S. The a150 is kicking the crap out of the old ets reef devil I was previously.

Last edited by Adobo; 05/23/2005 at 10:14 PM.
Old 05/24/2005, 07:31 AM
Registered Member

I do own H&S 200 with 2x1260 pumps for my six months 200 gallon reef and IT ROCKS!! A cup full of black,thick and smelly liquid every 6 days.

I will never again trust Aqua-medic, AquaC or Red-sea. These where my previews skimmers and they are nothing compare to H&S.

One more satisfied customer....
Old 05/24/2005, 07:55 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by javajaws
- Run an air line outside to bring in fresh air. Can help lower pH if you have a well sealed house with high levels of CO2.
hey java-great job laying out all the nuts and bolts! in the end it will amount to much less confusion. i love that their product names are pretty descriptive and logical (thanks H&S!).

one itsy bitsy thing about the above quote. CO2 acts as an acid and as such will drive the pH down. in those well sealed "air tight" houses the problem tends to be accumulation of CO2 and LOW pH. running the airline (venturi intake line) out a window or just out to "fresh air" will help RAISE the pH back to "normal" levels. and it works! i'm sure you were just so excited about the skimmer arriving and you obviously had the right idea...sorry nitpicky i know.

ALSO...i'm a jr member of the H&S club with the insump 110-2000 (their lil guy). i have it on my quarantine/temp tank as we're in the process of moving. its a rock solid little skimmer! built like a tank is right!

tG
Old 05/24/2005, 09:28 AM
Premium Member

is anyone running ozone through their skimmer?
Old 05/24/2005, 09:40 AM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by discos
I do own H&S 200 with 2x1260 pumps for my six months 200 gallon reef and IT ROCKS!! A cup full of black,thick and smelly liquid every 6 days.

I will never again trust Aqua-medic, AquaC or Red-sea. These where my previews skimmers and they are nothing compare to H&S.

One more satisfied customer....
I think the A200 2x1260 is the best skimmer I've ever used. I got the bigger one and I love it, but to be honest I have had some difficulties dialing it in. The 2x1260 was completely rock solid and idiot proof.

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 05/24/2005, 09:55 PM
Premium Member

Ditto on the ozone question.

I have my second hand 200-1260 in route!

Can an aftermarket mod be preformed to make this a 200-2-1260?

Thanks,

Todd
Old 05/25/2005, 02:37 PM
Premium Member

^