Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/10/2006, 04:10 PM
Premium Member

Making large quantities of RODI efficiently...

Hey all, I'm finally about to start setting my main display tank back up since moving back in July. It's a 350g tank but now I also have two 150g stock tanks in the basement for sump/grow-out/refugium, two 90g tanks for other things, and a few 20g tanks for experiments.

All told, it should be about 900g of total water volume including the piping, skimmers...

I'd like to get my act together with fairly regular water changes, say 10% per week. The system will also evaporate no small amount of water as I don't intend to cover any of these tanks at this point.

Let's just call it about 100g per week.

Is there a better/more efficient way to make this quantity of water than a standard RODI system? What are the rest of you doing re: making your RODI? If you are using a normal RODI filtration system, how often are you swapping out your filters (I'm actually mostly curious about sediment and carbon filters).
Old 10/10/2006, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

Kold Ster Water Purification

A company called Poly-Bio Marine, Inc. sells a canister system that produces 0 waste water. It removes all the bad items, but leaves the beneficial hardness/minerals. They are located at http: www.poly-bio-marine.com. E-mail is mail@poly-bio-marine.com
Old 10/11/2006, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

hmm you might want to do a search here about the KOLD systems. theres a reason there not popular but I cannot remember why.
Old 10/11/2006, 04:19 PM
Premium Member

check out the GE Merlin RO system, it is capable of making 700 gallons per day.

here is a link:
http://rowatersystems.com/catalog/ge...em_4285807.htm
Old 10/11/2006, 09:10 PM
On hobby time out!

Your system is a bist maller than mine and certainly uses much less water than mine too. I would recommend what I have, which should be more than plenty for your system. Got to one of the sponsors here, the filter guys, and ask them to build you a unit with the following:

-dual 75 gpd RO membranes
-sediment and carbon prefilters
-dual DI chambers
-pressure gauge
-flush kit
-pressure pump