Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks

Old 07/26/2006, 03:05 PM
Registered Member

Mini-cycle or disease?

I recently purchased a 125 gallon tank from another aquarist. It came with 100 lbs of live rock (which was kept in water during transport). To that I added 100 pounds of live rock I had in my "old" 75 gallon tank. There are three occupants in this tank ... blueface angel, double-saddle butterfly ..and squareback Anthias (male). It has been up and running (as a combined tank) for two weeks.

Yesterday, I noticed the water was becoming a bit cloudy by the end of the day . . and the blueface was acting a bit agitated and occasionally flashing. The butterfly and the anthias seem unaffected. There is also a decidedly "sour" smell to the air in the room with the tank.

This morning, the water had cleared, but already (since the lights have come on) it's becoming slightly cloudy again. The slight "sour" smell persists. There doesn't appear to be any physical sign of disease such as ick or velvet. Gilling is pretty close to normal, but the blueface is definitely agitated. All are eating well.

Do you think I may be experiencing a mini-cycle? Should I just hold on for a day or two more and observe? Reduce lighting and feeding (I do feed sparingly)? Or . .should I go ahead and start a hyposalinity treatment (just to be safe)?

I could do a water change, but 50 gallons of the water was new two weeks ago.

There are no invertebrates in the tank . . and water parameters test perfectly (except for the cloudiness).

SG 1.024
Temp 78
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0 ( I have a macro fuge and a denitrator)
Old 07/26/2006, 05:38 PM
Premium Member

I'd hang tight, but be on guard for any changes.