Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/27/2006, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

Ozone or UV

Ozone or UV, which one is the best option for FOWRL for removing pathogens and bacteria?
Old 03/27/2006, 09:08 AM
Registered Member

I dont know much about ozones, but I use a uv in my tank.
James.
Old 03/27/2006, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I use both! Both have pros and cons I really like ozone since I put it on the tank.
Old 03/27/2006, 04:53 PM
Registered Member

Ozone

I talked to a marine biologist about it and he said it is more trouble than it is worth.
Old 03/27/2006, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

i say get both.i have both no parasites and i got really clean water
Old 03/27/2006, 06:56 PM
Registered Member

I use ozone and like it. It's really no problem if you use a controller. I do not think it will help with pathogens.
Old 03/28/2006, 01:48 AM
Registered Member

I just want to make sure about ozone and uv. I only want to use one of themin my fowlr for reducing ich, velvet and bacteria infections. so which item works the best for this situation
Old 03/28/2006, 02:42 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cloudjockey
I use ozone and like it. It's really no problem if you use a controller. I do not think it will help with pathogens.
What are you running for a ozone set-up? I'm thinking of going ozone for my new system. It's a show system and NEED crystal clear water.

TIA
Old 03/28/2006, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

if you get a uv make sure it's rated for a larger tank size ,and just in case u didn't know you should run the ozone treated water thru carbon before it goes back in the tank. i never messed with ozone,i heard it's a p.i.t.a. i do use a sterilizer on my tank ,i have had an out break of ich,so it's hard to say if it's beneficial or not ,i guess i just use it for piece of mind?
Old 03/28/2006, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

emperora, how fast is the water moving through the UV. the slower the water flow the more it will stay intouch with the bulbs and the more efficent it will be. I have mine hooked up to a Mag 7 with a ball valve inbetween the pump and the UV, and I cut the ball valve back so the water stays in contact with the bulb.
James.
Old 03/29/2006, 12:43 AM
Registered Member

empora, so are you saying that ozone will not effective in reducing white spots, velvet, etc???

And Taz316.does UV really helps to reduce fish diseases?

Please i neeed a clear information........

t
Old 03/29/2006, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

yes UV does help reduce parisites in the tank. such as ick. and it also helps keep the water crystal clear.
Old 03/29/2006, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

I use ozone and almost always have. It is not a PITA as someone said earlier. I find that it cleans the water and water purity has always been my way of combating diseases. Talk about a pain, getting your water flow slow enough to make the uv effective, remebering to change the bulb, and in my case being careful not to damage the quartz sleeve. I did that and it was quite the mess.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:05 AM
Registered Member

Like I said I dont know anything about a ozone unit. all I've ever used is a UV. as far as tring to remember to change the bulb I have a calender with all my mantence and upkeep on it. A UV can get costly on parts as far as the sleeve and bulb are how about the ozone unit is it costly to?
James.
Old 03/29/2006, 01:32 AM
Registered Member

I think my whole system was like 300 including the controller. I know they make it for less without the controller. I have seen on here many people buying them on ebay for significantly less.
Old 04/02/2006, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hijack thread just want to learn more about ozone and to set mine up properly. I just received a ozone unit with controller, I have been trying to find out what size of air pump is needed to run it effectivly, it's a 200mg/hr. Also does everyone use carbon on the exit of the protein skimmer,because the manual doesn't really say much about that. Sorry one more question, can one split the line so it goes into two skimmer's, would this be any more beneficial.

Thanks
Old 04/02/2006, 02:45 AM
Registered Member

I am using a larger dolphin with adjustable flow. It is what Marine Depot recommended to me, for what that is worth. I was using Chemi-pure in a phosban reactor but now I am just allowing the output of the skimmer to run over a chemipure. In theory the carbon will remove the ozone from the water and reduce the smell. I have read on here that the ozone will disapate on it's own. Probably personal preference. Just be careful that you do not change the output rate of your skimmer by trying to get fancy with carbon at exit. As to using a t on the airline, definitely do it. You will allow the skimmer to take in much more air that way. Use a gang valve as opposed to a cheap t.