Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02/21/2005, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

six line wrasse sick, What action to take

Hello,
I got a sixline two days ago no quarintine cause im stupid. Now he has a swelling right eye and his fins look tattered or frayed and white. I don't see white spots all over him or anything and i have another tank up and running for isolation (barebottom /w a small biowheel filter & a powersweep powerhead). If i can catch him before he dies what should i do? What is this illness? In my large tank I have 2perc clowns 1 lawn blenny, 2 chromis and a bunch of inverts. None of the other fish look sick in any way. What medication do you use for this illness? The place where I go to get advice and fish is closed till thursday, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Ryan
Old 02/21/2005, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Without knowing what it is, which I don't have a clue...sorry, I can't tell you, but what I would recommend is doing lots of research on here as pertains to your tank. This site will help you out tremendously, and keep you from making any mistakes....some LFS only care about selling you stuff then selling you what you need, or what's safe for your tank.
Old 02/21/2005, 09:44 PM
Registered Member

update
: he is eating if that makes any difference on the diagnosis.
Old 02/21/2005, 09:49 PM
Registered Member

you said the eye is swollen? like popped out? could be pop-eye, in that case you'd want to treat with the antibiotic maracyn(erythromycin). although, i tried that once and it didn't work, my fish ended up dying. but its worth a shot. if the fish is eating that is a good sign-its not too far gone. the tattered fins could be fin-rot or something of that sort, i think maracyn is appropriate for that as well.

almost forgot--you'd want to treat with the antibiotic in your isolation tank. keep an eye on your ammonia if that tank isn't cycled.
Old 02/21/2005, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

his clear coating on his eye pokes out 2x normal. it doesnt look like any other part of the eye is comming out. You have to get a profile of him comming or going to notice it. Any links to fish illness diagnosis?
Old 02/21/2005, 10:51 PM
Registered Member

does sound bacterial. Check the disease forum for a positive id.
What I have done in the past is to treat in a QT, and mix kanamyacin (seachem kanaplex) and seachem focus with their food. I've been successful with this treatment.
Old 02/22/2005, 12:00 AM
Registered Member

hope it works out for you man