Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/05/2005, 10:40 PM
Premium Member

Can I get a flame angel?

My tank has the following inhabitants. I know people say that flame angels are 50/50. But, is there anything below that would be a definite goner?

Candy Cane coral
Xenia
Zoo's
Crocea clam
A few different types of SPS
Lobophyllia hemprichi
Anemone w/maroon clowns
Purple and yellow tang
Lawnmower blenny
Green chromis
Old 01/05/2005, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

As long as you do not intend to get sps corals you will be fine.
Old 01/05/2005, 10:43 PM
Premium Member

I already have 1 nice SPS colony and 2 SPS frags. All are acropora.
Old 01/06/2005, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

Flame's are hit or miss, mine hasn't touched a thing but I've heard they can change their behavior and start feeding on things they used to leave alone. As long as you accept the risk you should be ok.

Everytime my parents, girlfriend, advisor, or anyone asks how my dissertation proposal is going, I start talking about my newest reef tank....
Old 01/06/2005, 12:22 AM
Medieval French Monkey

He might be taking a chance with your clam, but as you said, they can be hit or miss. Mine never bothered my clam.
Old 01/06/2005, 01:16 AM
Moved On

Worth a try, IMO.

Dwarf angels are awesome.

Of course, I think a Pygmy Cherub is nicer, but im biased!

Good luck.
Old 01/06/2005, 01:34 AM
Awaiting Email Confirmation

My stocking is similiar to yours bean3178 and my flame has never touched a thing. He's a model reef citizen (I guess for now), and actually one of the only fish that cruises the entire rockwork picking at it, but never, never anything else. Very cool fish.
Old 01/06/2005, 01:43 AM
Registered Member

bean3178,

The only thing my flame nipped at was a Stylophora. As a result it made it's way back to the shop (the fish, not the coral). Never touched the acros though.

HTH,

Tom
Old 01/06/2005, 01:52 AM
Registered Member

i must have had a bad one it picked on the flame scallop and a purple korky finger
Old 01/26/2005, 02:03 PM
Premium Member

I picked up a Knox Angel about a month ago. I see him picking at the rocks and some coral. My candy cane has been not expanding in the day and not extending it feeding tentacles at night for about a week . I was wondering if the Angel will or has seen it eat the feeding tentacles of the candy cane.
Old 01/26/2005, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

I don't think they are eating the tentacles, but IMO he is just picking at em. My pygmy angel died after owning him for over 1.5 years in my sps tank. And now all the polyps of my sps are extended. Most of the time I didn't see him pick and any sps when I was looking. Seems that the corals know when angels are around.
Old 01/26/2005, 03:28 PM
Registered Member

Had one for a year now, and never picked at the sps. He might be picking at my open brain though. Polyps are fully extended. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Old 01/26/2005, 09:23 PM
Premium Member

I have had two flame angels, currently still have one of them and neither of them have ever touched a single coral. They like to nip at the rock surrounding the corals, but they don't touch the coral.
Old 03/08/2005, 03:21 PM
Premium Member

JSprung's book says Pygmy Angels might bother clams... Any more opinions out there? I have a Flame Angel and want to get a clam...
Thanks!
freddie
Old 03/08/2005, 05:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by graff71884
I have had two flame angels, currently still have one of them and neither of them have ever touched a single coral. They like to nip at the rock surrounding the corals, but they don't touch the coral.
Well, I must have jinxed myself. My current flame has started nipping both of my clams and some of my acros. There is no damage to anything, not serious anyway, but I am getting rid of him tomorrow before he does kill something. Awesome fish, but I wouldn't recommend them with clams unless you have a large tank. I have talked to a few people and ones that have larger tanks don't seem to have any problems with flames nipping. Others of us with smaller tanks, like myself, seem to notice more nipping. The only reason I can think of is that the extra swimming room keeps the urge for nipping subdued. Any other opinions on this?