Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 09/17/2003, 01:46 PM
How YOU doin?

Blue Hermit Abandoned Shell and Died

I bought 7 snails (one is a fighting conch) and about 4 days later I bought one Scarlet Hermit and one Blue-Legged hermit. The scarlet climed onto the top of some rock, just below a return nozzle (out of the flow path) and sat there for about two days. Then he dissappeared and I haven't seen him for a week. The Blue-Legged hermit moved to the back of the tank, cleaned a patch of brown algae-diatoms, I think. I got diatoms, then cyano, and the diatoms are dying off, but the cyano is still going. a couple of nights ago I came home and founf the Blue-Legged hermit near the front of the tank, dead, with his shell about two inches away. There are other shells in the tank (came with the live sand), so I don't think he out grew it and abandoned it. He lived about a week, and the snails have all lived two weeks so far.

Why would the hermit do this.

Ammonia = 0 (when I put them in, and now)
Nitrite = 0.1 now (about 5 when they went in
Nitrate = 0.2 now (about 10 when they went in)
pH = 8.0
Alk = 2.5 (I know pH and ALK are low, but would they cause this?)
Calcium = 500 a week ago (High, I know. Now dosing with Baking Soda instead of Kalk)
Temp = 80-82

I rapidly dosed with the baking soda a couple of times (adding 1 tablespoon, 55-gal tank with about 20 gallon sump/fuge) so maby this was the cause. Someone started a thread about snails loosing their shells a while ago, I thought of his problem, but my snails are fine.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 09/17/2003, 01:51 PM
How YOU doin?

By the way, I started the cycle with an uncooked shrimp from the grocery store. I removed (very nasty) it when I saw that the algae had really taken off, and have been harvesting the slime since. I got a real funny look when I asked for 3 shrimp at the seafood deli, lol.

Reefcentral Folding@Home team 37251 - Click my little red house to learn more and help medical science!
Old 09/17/2003, 09:08 PM
Registered Member

i think it's not dead... perhapse it has molted and is currently hiding while waitin for it's shell to harden? just IMO..
Old 09/17/2003, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Yep, molting probably. First time this happened to me I freaked but he showed back up.
Old 09/17/2003, 09:56 PM
Registered Member

yeah freaked out too the first time i saw my boxing shrimp molt.... thot it's dead but i was actually its molt... LOL pale white in color.. scary..
Old 09/18/2003, 06:35 AM
How YOU doin?

Quote:
Originally posted by ignite1402
yeah freaked out too the first time i saw my boxing shrimp molt.... thot it's dead but i was actually its molt... LOL pale white in color.. scary..
OK, that would be good. But the legs were still blue, not white. Only the body was white/grey.

Old 09/18/2003, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

My blue legged hermit molted the other week it was laying in the bottom of the tank with its body and blue and black legs intact
i thought it had died but about 2 weeks later it reapeared and is now doing fine
Old 09/18/2003, 09:57 PM
Registered Member

most of the time the limbs will still manage to remain some of it's color when it molt.... so have u found ur crabby yet?
Old 09/19/2003, 07:28 AM
How YOU doin?

He's back, and in the same shell. He has plenty of others to choose from, so maby the shell is still big enough, or he hasn't found them yet.

I think he ate his old shell. He moved over next to it, and now it's gone, except for a few legs. I've heard about lobsters and crabs doing that.