Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Southern California Reefers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2007, 02:27 PM
Devil in the fur

Thumbs down marine depot

What a scam they are trying to pull!

I always loved their price matching policy and have purchased many things in the past. Today I tried ordering filter socks for 5.99 and they want to charge me the same shipping costs as champion lighting (the company I was price matching), even though I could go pick up the socks from them and not pay shipping at all and the fact that champion shipping is more expensive because it is further away.
Old 11/02/2007, 02:46 PM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
really? thats a new one.. nickel and dime... nickel and dime

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 11/02/2007, 03:09 PM
Worker Drone

Re: marine depot

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyESQ
What a scam they are trying to pull!

I always loved their price matching policy and have purchased many things in the past. Today I tried ordering filter socks for 5.99 and they want to charge me the same shipping costs as champion lighting (the company I was price matching), even though I could go pick up the socks from them and not pay shipping at all and the fact that champion shipping is more expensive because it is further away.
FYI I've seen this at other retailers before... Basically, they sell it to you for exactly what it would cost were you to do it with the other vendor, shipping and everything.

When they do that, what's the motivation to go with them?

IMO this generates ill will. Although I understand their reasoning to a degree, I think the customer service and good will opportunities outweigh the potential cost savings...

Sorry to hear about this.

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/02/2007, 03:19 PM
Super Deluxe Member v2.0

Technically they ARE price matching... by charging the same on shipping

Reminds me of that cell phone commercial on TV right now. "I thought I got whenever minutes?", "No, you can use your minutes When -- Never". Many businesses work all the angles and pull out all the loopholes when it comes down to squeezing every penny.

A couple years ago I had a similar dealing with an RC sponsor and wrote about it in the forums. They quickly changed their tone with me and decided to make me a satisfied customer. You could let MD know that you are not satisfied with how they are treating you and they can read about it here.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:29 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineDepot
Hello,

Thank you for your posts, yes we do offer a "Low Price Guarantee" on our products , We match the landed price of our competitors, including any shipping charges they charge for the instock item.

We do carry the Ocean Runner 2700 found here http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewIt...Product=AQ1171 if you looking for a replacement for a Turboflotor Protein Skimmer.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions

Walter F

Marine Depot Customer Services

www.Marinedepot.com

714.385.0080 Phone

714.385.0180 Fax
Old 11/02/2007, 03:32 PM
Devil in the fur

I didn't think they were making it up! But this is a more recent change.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:40 PM

considering the fact that they are the largest marine dry goods vendor around you would think they would not be such sticklers...

i recently was looking for salt and i asked MD to price match their 150 g bags of seachem salt to another online vendor's 160g bucket.. i told them that even though the other vendor is giving me 10g more could i pay that price? guess what the answer was.....

if DRS has a shipping location here in SoCal i would by all my items from them as they give you no hassles when it comes to anything.. the best customer service out there period... MD should take notes...

Old 11/02/2007, 03:41 PM
Premium Member

I asked them to price match a DI cartridge with Fish.com and they wouldn't because fish.com showed it out of stock.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:43 PM
Premium Member

Sounds like a new policy.... I know before I've price matched items and they didn't put shipping into equation.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:44 PM
Rubberman

Well here's one from 2003 and it sounds about the same to me.

Quote:
Originally posted by MarineDepot
Hi Fishome25,

Thanks for shopping with us. We do our best to match prices whenever possible. However, this is usually done at the time that the order is placed. We compare the "landed price": which is the price of the item plus any applicable shipping & handling charges that the other company charges. If the landed price works out cheaper, we are almost always able to match or beat it. Some companies charge relatively high shipping fees so we do need to take that in to consideration. Even though they may show a lower price for the item, it will often work out to be more expensive once you include the shipping and handling.

Give me or Jose a call when you get a chance and we will be happy to work something out for you. If calling is not convenient, an email to sales@marinedepot.com will also do the trick

We apologize for not having gotten back to you quicker. The lady you spoke to is in the accounting department. The accountants usually only take calls if all of the customer service representitives are busy on the phones. My guess is that there must have been a communications error between the two departments. Give us a call back and we'll take care of it.

Please let us know if there is anything else we can do for you.

Sincerely,
Joseph
Marine Depot Customer Service
714-385-0080
Old 11/02/2007, 03:47 PM
It's all about ME!

Maybe they are just getting to BIG for there britches, it happens.

I buy from D & T most of the time.
MD ONLY if I have to.

It's to bad.
JMO
Old 11/02/2007, 03:48 PM
Premium Member

I think calling it a scam is pretty harsh. I see nothing wrong with that business practice. It is called "price matching." Their goal is to insure that you get the same deal from them as you would with anyone else. Best part is that you get the product next day. Unless you order on Friday! As for shipping, I'm not sure about Champion. but Marine Depot charges the same for shipping all across the continental US.

It could have been worse. Look at the bright side, they also could have delayed shipping the product for a couple days so you would have received it in the same timely fashion.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success

Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!
Old 11/02/2007, 03:52 PM
Rubberman

Quote:
Originally posted by Bebo77
considering the fact that they are the largest marine dry goods vendor around you would think they would not be such sticklers...

Considering the fact that they are the largest marine dry goods vendor around you would think they would not be such suckers...

SteveU
Old 11/02/2007, 03:53 PM
Devil in the fur

gcarroll, I take back the scam, itwas a little harsh. But I bet they will eventually do as you just said and match shipping times.
Old 11/02/2007, 03:58 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I just ordered a Eheim 1260 from them, and I've always price matched in the past. they gave me their own shipping charge rather than the other place's shipping?
Old 11/02/2007, 04:00 PM
Devil in the fur

maybe it is whomever picks up the phone.
Old 11/02/2007, 04:13 PM
Devil in the fur

AWSOME, I just ordered what I needed and this time someone else answered the phone and I was charged regular MD shipping.
Old 11/02/2007, 04:23 PM
Worker Drone

Hmm. Inconsistent.

However, no harm, no foul?

*happy thoughts*

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/02/2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by saltyESQ
AWSOME, I just ordered what I needed and this time someone else answered the phone and I was charged regular MD shipping.
lol... nice

Old 11/02/2007, 04:53 PM
Rubberman

Attention All Marine Depot Customer Service Representatives

Mandatory Meeting
Date: 11-5-2007
Time: 7:00 am
Topic: Shipping charges on price matched orders.

Don't be late.

SteveU
Old 11/02/2007, 04:58 PM
Worker Drone

Quote:
Originally posted by gtrestoration
Attention All Marine Depot Customer Service Representatives

Mandatory Meeting
Date: 11-5-2007
Time: 7:00 am
Topic: Shipping charges on price matched orders.

Don't be late.

SteveU
Curious as to how you got that particular email, but regardless I think that will deal with the problem of inconsistencies...

Be an IT consultant!
Old 11/02/2007, 05:07 PM
Devil in the fur

Quote:
Originally posted by Captain Quirk
Curious as to how you got that particular email, but regardless I think that will deal with the problem of inconsistencies...
the email is a joke.
Old 11/02/2007, 05:09 PM
Premium Member

well next day delivery still bring me back to order from MD. Other vendor offer free shipping but you have to wait for 5 or more days.

I will trade my golf swing for your tyree frag.
Old 11/02/2007, 05:27 PM
Crawfish Eating Reefer

Scam is definitely harsh. They're just trying to cover their behind in cases like e-bay where the "BUY IT NOW" price is $0.99 but costs $15 for shipping and handling for something as light as a cd cover. Happens all the time. Actually, those are the real scams that made other vendors re-write their policies in a way to not be shafted.
Old 11/02/2007, 05:44 PM
It's Domo-kun

This is a tricky one. I see the rationale for the policy, however. There are some online sellers that lower their prices to get the best results on price trackers, but then charge an arm and a leg for "shipping and handling." THOSE sellers are scamming you with false advertising, to some extent. Since MD can't control for that effect, their policy makes it possible for them to price match on average with sellers that do not trade product costs for shipping costs.