Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > MidWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Chicagoland Marine Aquarium Society (CMAS)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/16/2007, 09:29 PM
Flea Slide

Acrylic Aquarium Manufacturer in the Midwest?

I will need to replace my Acrylic 225 gal aquarium (72"Lx24W"x30"H) so I need a good reliable top quality manufacturer in the Midwest or Chicago area for a custom eurobraced unit.
Has Clarity Plus turned around their quality issues?
Old 05/16/2007, 09:41 PM
Moved

I have some 1/4" acrylic and a tube of weld-on.....

^bump^
Old 05/16/2007, 09:45 PM
OT Slaughter House

Quote:
Originally posted by hansnfrans
I have some 1/4" acrylic and a tube of weld-on.....

^bump^
I think he meant 1/8" plexi glass and a roll of duct tape....

Don't breed or buy while shelter animals die, and don't forget real men have their own balls. (Tonya?) Spay and neuter your pets.
Old 05/16/2007, 09:47 PM
Moved

BTW: If you can't find a good one in the midwest.....

If I recall correctly, people on this board were sayin' good things about Envision: ( http://www.envisionacrylics.com/ )

Also, DJ's 600gal tank is built by Tenecor ( http://www.tenecor.com/?gclid=CJ341v...FQUQFQodjllKhw ) and it is the second 500+gal acrylic tank that I've seen by that company and the craftsmanship appears to be very good (3/4" sides and 1" top). But once again, they aren't in the Midwest
Old 05/16/2007, 09:51 PM
Premium Member

Re: Acrylic Aquarium Manufacturer in the Midwest?

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
I will need to replace my Acrylic 225 gal aquarium (72"Lx24W"x30"H) so I need a good reliable top quality manufacturer in the Midwest or Chicago area for a custom eurobraced unit.
Has Clarity Plus turned around their quality issues?
Oh no, it's finally time to replace it? I remember visiting when you were TOTM and you pointed out the bowing and mentioned the time would be coming for a replacement.

If you are looking for something in the Midwest, Clarity Plus can build you a custom tank with the 3/4" acrylic that you really need along with the top the same thickness. I had gotten a quote on that same tank last fall. There's another really good builder, but he's not in the Midwest.

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 05/16/2007, 11:48 PM
Flea Slide

hansfrans: Funny, very funny. you will be the first one I'll call to bring the mop!
Thansk for the info.

Sara: Yes I think I have waited one year too long. It is already cracking at the seams.
In general I would say that the manufacturing quality of Clarity Plus I have now was very good otherwise it would have not lasted this long with only 1/2" panels on the sides and 7/16" panel on top. It just was not manufactured with the right thickness.
Old 05/16/2007, 11:49 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by aiko670
I think he meant 1/8" plexi glass and a roll of duct tape....

Make the tape waterproof!
Old 05/17/2007, 08:35 AM
RC Admin

Jose,

A number of the big tank guys I know swear by Envision, but definitely not local.

Any reason you wouldn't go glass this time? Just curious.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 05/17/2007, 09:50 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by mhurley
Jose,

A number of the big tank guys I know swear by Envision, but definitely not local.

Any reason you wouldn't go glass this time? Just curious.
I had thoughts of doing that Mike but because of weight I am afraid if I go with glass I would need to add additional reinforcement to the floor.

Last edited by jdieck; 05/17/2007 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05/17/2007, 10:14 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Jose: this is scary. You can see the seams going? How fast do you need it?

I would contact Dave at Oceans Floor and see who made his tanks. Also, go to www.theimac.net and see who the vendors are there this year. If there is a tank mfr, maybe you can get lucky and have something fast.

Also, call Jeremy at PA ... IIRC he knew someone in Indy or Michigan who he liked.

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 05/17/2007, 10:15 AM
Dr. Good Luck Himself

Jose, isn't 95% of the weight what is IN the tank, as opposed to the tank itself? You are talking about a couple hundred pounds out of a tank that weighs over 2000lbs right?

fish: royal gramma, true perc, hepatus tang, hawaiin sailfin tang, citron goby, radiant wrasse, 1m, 1f solarensis wrasse, fed Rod food
Old 05/17/2007, 10:29 AM
Coral is a New Mom!

There is a guy in Indy that make custom acrylic's He does it in the back of the LFS. I believe it is called The Abyss.

"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." -
Socrates
Old 05/17/2007, 12:49 PM
OT HINEY SNIFFER

I'm going w/ James at Envision his price was very good for what I'm gettting. His price w/ shipping was the same as the other quotes w/o shipping. I checked out a local tank and his work was flawless! I couldn't find one bubble in any seam.

I definitely wouldn't go w/ Clarity Plus, just for the fact that the dealer PM'ed me and bashed his competition instead of promoting his own product. Not a very good buisness practice in my book.

Another midwest guy is Spazz out of the Twin Cities. He's building my skimmer. He builds a skimmer called the Volcano it's a Dart needlewheel skimmer. My skimmer demensions will be 18" diameter and 4' tall. He also does tanks and I hear he does a stellar job. I have a friend up there who's opening a LFS and is having some work done by Spazz. Here's his website: www.aquaticacrylics.com

Good luck!
Old 05/17/2007, 01:36 PM
Flea Slide

Thanks Benjie and hound, I'll look for it, seems that Envision is reliable but see how it goes with the shipping.
Old 05/17/2007, 01:38 PM
Premium Member

James at Envision was my non-Midwest recommendation as well.

Proud Member of CMAS & Rockford Reefers
Old 05/17/2007, 01:44 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Jose: this is scary. You can see the seams going? How fast do you need it?

I would contact Dave at Oceans Floor and see who made his tanks. Also, go to www.theimac.net and see who the vendors are there this year. If there is a tank mfr, maybe you can get lucky and have something fast.

Also, call Jeremy at PA ... IIRC he knew someone in Indy or Michigan who he liked.
Yes it is, I noticed the overstressed joints about a year in a way of little cracks but it has been growing so it is about time I do something. How long I have, it is difficult to know because has been changing so slowly I just hope gives me enough time to make the switch.
Old 05/17/2007, 01:58 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by ostrow
Jose, isn't 95% of the weight what is IN the tank, as opposed to the tank itself? You are talking about a couple hundred pounds out of a tank that weighs over 2000lbs right?
The actual difference between glass and acrylic will be around 250 to 300 pounds. (550 to 600 for glass and about 300 for acrylic)
Old 05/17/2007, 03:03 PM
Hawks Rule!

Quote:
Jose,

Definitely who I recommend.

You can stop by and see my tank anytime Jose. James does an awesome job and his customer service is along the lines of Roger Vitko.

Sandbeds operate like wormholes and the excess nutrients and detritus are transported to a sister galaxy - Bomber

12-7-41 & 9-11-01 Never Forget!
Old 05/17/2007, 08:17 PM
Moved On

My 300 gallon tank weighs in at 750 pouns or so.. 3/4" acrylic tenecor tank.

As for local guys get a quote from agsourceATsbcglobalDOTnet

Great prices and delivery. I am getting 4 tanks from him next week. He sells on Ebay as well.
Old 05/17/2007, 08:46 PM
Flea Slide

Thanks for the tips.
Old 05/19/2007, 10:54 PM
Flea Slide

^
Old 05/20/2007, 07:50 AM
RC Admin

My tank is a Tenecor, 3/4" all around and it's 96"x96"x30". The tank is very sturdy but I will say that one seam is crazing, has been for a couple years. Tenecor has told me crazing is "normal" over time.

If I could do it all over again...I would probably try and do glass for 2 reasons. No scratching to deal with and no concerns over the seams. My issue was the location of my tank in the basement and physically getting it down there. It would have been near impossible to make the turn at the bottom of the stairs with glass.

Jose, you have more time than I to deal with your system, so acrylic works for you. I've rarely seen an acrylic tank that is in such good shape as yours (minus the bowing and seams). So I would recommend Envision and acrylic again for you. If you can't reinforce your floor for glass (though I don't know if you would need to since your I-beam is under there isn't it?). Whatever you do....let me know, I'm there to help.

"So, Mike was right." - MalHavoc
Old 05/20/2007, 08:39 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
If you can't reinforce your floor for glass (though I don't know if you would need to since your I-beam is under there isn't it?). Whatever you do....let me know, I'm there to help.
The I beam is about two feet from the end of the tank and the tank runs parallel to the hoists so it is really supported only by two hoists. The reinforcement is really ony a couple of 2x4sin the middle of those two hoists as part of the wall by the bar in the basement.
Thanks for he offer to help. I think it will depend on the delivery of the tank, I am targeting around August probably.
Old 05/20/2007, 09:15 AM
Registered Member

I would try Midwest custom aquariums. The best work I have seen so far. http://www.midwestcustomaquariums.com/
Have used there tanks and custom sumps when I needed anything custom.
Old 05/20/2007, 09:16 AM
Registered Member

He built the huge custom stingray reef tank.