Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes

Old 03/30/2006, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

Koran Fish

How many gallons does a Koran fish need?
Old 03/30/2006, 03:03 PM
My reef is my fix :-D

Koran Angel? They get over a foot long. I'd say at least 180g or bigger depending on dimensions

Here's a link:

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marine/fi...thus/koran.htm

Click my red house to see my tank :-)
Old 03/30/2006, 03:05 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

I'm assuming you are refering to the koran angel, Pomacanthus semicirculatus, and they top out at about 15 inches and an adult would need at least 180 gallon minimum. This is a fairly aggressive angel and the more room they have the better. HTH
Old 03/30/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

I don't know the exact name but it is this one: http://www.save1004.com/angelfish2.jpg
Old 03/30/2006, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

Don't live in the ocean!

These fish don't grow that big in our aquariums. All these fish we keep are stunted and will never grow that big. A 180 would be fine. I bet if he keeps that angel for 15 years it will never reach 15 inches in a 6 foot tank. Marine biologist said they are stunted in our tanks. They also don't get all the food like they have in the ocean.
Old 03/31/2006, 09:31 AM
Fish Collector

Some fish will grow quite large and even if they don't reach their full size they do grow quite a bit. Your not going to stunt the fish that much and if you do it will probably be in poor health from not being feed enough and getting the proper diet. All this will let to stress and could cause the fish to die.

The Koran is actually one of the shyer of the large angels and usually isn't that aggressive, actually if you place another large angel in the tank it will usually play 2nd fiddle to it.
Old 03/31/2006, 07:35 PM
Happy Scrappy Hero Pup

Quote:
I bet if he keeps that angel for 15 years it will never reach 15 inches in a 6 foot tank.
You are correct, a six foot tank will stunt the angels growth. This is not a good thing and I'd be suprised if any large angel would live that long in a stunted condition.

Most Korans I have seen are fairly aggressive fish, especially the large juvies and subadults. Not in the same league as a passer, queen, or emp, but these are not a mellow fish by any means.