Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2006, 11:59 AM
Registered Member

What can be kept with clown triggers

i'm new to this forum. doing research on what can be kept with clown triggers, 46 bow fowlr, juvi clown 1" looking for something to keep with it. i'm searching for some expert advice.

thanks
Old 03/23/2006, 01:45 PM
Premium Member

Even a small CT will outgrow a 46B in 6 months, buy a bigger tank.

It's tought to keep tankmates with mature CTs, a large tank will large, aggressive tankmates with lots of hidding spots will offer the best chance of success.
Old 03/23/2006, 02:44 PM
Registered Member

I've had a ct for 4 months. Started out as a 1.75" fish, now about 2.5".
Old 03/23/2006, 06:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by danorth
I've had a ct for 4 months. Started out as a 1.75" fish, now about 2.5".
That's not really something to be proud of. Sure, you can stunt a fishes' growth by not taking good care of it, of course the flip side is that it shows poor color and will often pick up a disease sooner or later.
Old 03/23/2006, 07:06 PM
Registered Member

Wow, you just made an *** of yourself for the world to see. Congrats!!!
Old 03/23/2006, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

Mad Scientist your saying a fish that is 1.75 inches in length, in a 135GL tank is suffering ill affects of stunted growth?
Old 03/23/2006, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Titan*69
Mad Scientist your saying a fish that is 1.75 inches in length, in a 135GL tank is suffering ill affects of stunted growth?

Nope, I saying that less than 1" of growth on a juvi CT in 4 months is stunted growth. In this case, I don't know why the fish is stunted (although people tend to underfeed juvi CTs, IME).

I'm glad that people feel the need to call me names, if only that would speed up the growth of your fish Maybe people should chill on the insults and learn something.

CTs are very fast growing espically when they are small, to suggest that less than 1" of total growth in 4 months is normal is really out here. That fish certainly should have doubles in size if it was healthy.

For people looking to buy a baby CT, please look for fat, healthy fish - if you buy that has not well cared for, it will take months to make up for this poor care and you may see a situation as in here.

BTW, it's not always best to keep a tiny fish in a big tank. Often times with delicate juvi fish, we keep the fish in a smaller tank for a while where power/direct feeding the fish is easier to accomplish.
Old 03/23/2006, 08:45 PM
Registered Member

I've seen pics of this particular Clown Trigger on another site and from a visual perspective it appears to look healthy, and shows healthy vivid juvy clown trigger colors. maybe he's a midget???
Old 03/23/2006, 09:27 PM
Registered Member

on 11-27-05

Today

Old 03/23/2006, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

man, i cant wait to get one!
Old 03/23/2006, 11:17 PM
Premium Member

He looks a bit thin in the second pic, but it might just be the angle. Again, it's not always the owners fault, if anything bad happened between collection and when someone bought it, that stress can easily stunt a CT. There's a reason why baby CTs have such a reputation for high mortality rates and it's the same reason they are easy to stunt: they are fragile at this size and need to fed a ton.
Old 03/23/2006, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

you can keep other triggers with it. or puffers. you need to make sure that what ever you put in there with it, it can stand up to the CT. or make sure that the CT is a softy at heart.
James.
Old 03/23/2006, 11:46 PM
Registered Member

Mine is a gentle and timid eater. Niger and BL eat anything that floats.
Old 03/24/2006, 12:04 AM
Registered Member

thats the way mine is. if you look at my pics you will see that i've gst mine in there with several fish that shouldn't be in there with it.
James.
Old 03/24/2006, 12:24 AM
Registered Member

Very pretty CT!!! I am hopeful with mine....

To the original poster, if it is a ct that you are set on, maybe deck that tank out with some premium live rock and caves and nice lighting. Put the ct in there and let it reign! If all goes well, you will have many options on what to do with it at the 4" mark. That is the prime size for most of the larger tank crowd!!! Or get a larger tank yourself!

From all of the ct's I've owned and seen, they don't do laps like a niger or humu does. They just stroll around looking at things.
Old 03/24/2006, 02:12 AM
Registered Member

Thanks danorth. My tank is starting to get a little cramped so I'm up-grading this summer to a 180. I was at a LFS in Atlanta today and I bought a angularus angel, and while I was there I picked out a nice tank to replace the one I have. Wish me luck this summer in the swap over to the bigger tank.
James.
Old 03/24/2006, 10:24 AM
Registered Member

It won't be tooo bad. I did the 100 to 135 a couple of months ago.
Old 03/24/2006, 03:00 PM
Registered Member

ct avg about 5 inch in the first yr. to say 1 inch in 4 months is bad i don't think so sounds about avg to me.you don't have to be a scientist to figure that out.
Old 03/24/2006, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

one of the lfs i go to has a large show tank with all big show fish in it ,they put a full grown clown trigger in there ,all the fish in the tank were bigger than it,needless to say ,it's now in a tank by itself!the tank is probably about 700 or800 gal if i were to guess.
even though yours is a juvi it all depends on the fish.
Old 03/24/2006, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by paulpp187
ct avg about 5 inch in the first yr. to say 1 inch in 4 months is bad i don't think so sounds about avg to me.you don't have to be a scientist to figure that out.

5" in a year FOR A JUVI trigger would, IMO, be about the bare minimum. But, lets say you are right and it's about 5" per year. This poster reported .75" of growth in 4 months - which would be only be 2.25" inches in an entire year. Less that 1/2 the average you suggested (which I feel is a under estimate).

Again, I appreciate the insult aimed at me, but maybe you should read the thread closer before you contradict yourself.

I would also suggest (again) that the trigger pictured looks (although maybe it's the camera) a bit thin and washed out color wise. Lots of people that a have not seen a healthy CT don't realize who vibrant their colors would be. Small CTs, should be fed, IMO/IME, atleast 5-7x a day and should always show a rounded a belly. People that come from a breeding background realize how fast the metablism is on these guys and power-feed full time.
Old 03/24/2006, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

clown trigger tank mates

it all really boils down to induvidual temperment. I have a 4" specimen that is housed together with a very large tomato type clown, two royal grammas,two tangs (similar to kole in color but have green spots on their face),a yellow tail damsel,a striped damsel and multiple cromis damsels. hes a spitter , he'll spit out of the tank at you
Old 03/24/2006, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

well somehow fate dealt me a good hand today.. cause i just got a 5-6 inch CT... its in the tank.. ill take some pics later.. colors are
good but i dont think my camara will do it justice!
Old 03/24/2006, 09:26 PM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by OceanNwisconsin
well somehow fate dealt me a good hand today.. cause i just got a 5-6 inch CT... its in the tank.. ill take some pics later.. colors are
good but i dont think my camara will do it justice!
Old 03/24/2006, 09:40 PM
Registered Member

no insult to you at all. he may have grown an inch who knows.your talking 1/4 inch difference you mean to tell me without pulling the fish out and holding him next to a ruler one could see a 1/4 diffrence.in 4 months you can't say if it is growing fast or slow a yr would be a proper guidline to go by.if he is 3 iches in a yr then you could say its stunted growth.
Old 04/03/2006, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

very nice CT...good luck with him!