Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/11/2007, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Are there any montipora specific pathogens or parasites other than nudis?

I made a post about a month ago about my declining montiporas, digis, plating and whorling varieties.

None of my other corals are declining and this has been ongoing for 4 months now.

I have the following :
1. several acros
2. pocilliporas
3. 2 varieties of Birdnest
4. various zoo colonies
5. a couple of frogspawn colonies
6. candy cane
7. numberous varieties of mushrooms/ricordias
8. xenia
9. a couple of varieties of star polyps
10. purple plating monti - showed a slight tip bleaching but seems to have stopped getting worse a couple of weeks ago
11. orange plating monti - has slowly been losing tissue for over a month
12. various species of green plating monti - these have shown various degrees of bleaching, from completely(death) to a little or none
13. orange whorling monti - completely dead after the first month of problems
14. various green/orange/purple digis - the purple was the first to bleach and die. It took only a couple of weeks for this to occur. The orange digis bleached after a month or so, and the green tried to hold on. One of them still has about a cm of bleached polyps on one tip. This tiny section of living tissue has been holding on for around 4 months now.
15. A pink digi - it started bleaching almost immediately upon introduction into the tank. It was a large colony and only 2 tiny tips remain alive and still pink in coloration. They've been holding on for nearly 4 months.

I had a nudibranch infestation about a year ago. I haven't noticed a single one after a lengthy battle and the introduction of a 6 line wrasse. I have inspected them at length and even at night and have never seen another one.

My question is this, what pathogen/parasite is so host specific that it only attacks montiporas? Surely, someone has had this happen to them before.
Old 10/11/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Let me add, the polyps bleach before actually dying. Some of them hold on for a month or more before the tissue actually receeds. I've got several specimens that have bleached areas that are still alive after several months.
Old 10/11/2007, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Check at night to see if they are sending out tendrils in any area. I had one doing this then noticed a small speck. The next day a picked it with a knife and a chunk fell off and some kind snail looking thing had embedded into the tissue.

This was on a new frag. If it was something like that on a large scale I am not sure what I would do.