Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment

Old 12/17/2002, 09:28 AM
10 & Over Club

Brook time

Just a heads up for you guys. It's that time of year again and we're seeing it a lot in pathology. Several transshippers and wholesalers have had to flush their systems out with formalin these past few weeks. So, be on the look out.

Jerel
Old 12/18/2002, 10:29 AM
10 & Over Club

Thanks for the heads up Jerel

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 05/04/2003, 11:52 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

Boy Jer, I got all excited by that title and was wondering were in the H_ _ _ _is there Brooky's (Brook Trout) in Florida

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 07/25/2003, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

I just bought a pair of TR clowns ... both now have brooklynella. I wasn't on the lookout for it since, according to Wilkerson, brook's mostly a thing of the past for TR clowns.
Old 07/25/2003, 01:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Masoch
I just bought a pair of TR clowns ... both now have brooklynella. I wasn't on the lookout for it since, according to Wilkerson, brook's mostly a thing of the past for TR clowns.
Is brook exclusive to clowns?
Old 07/25/2003, 06:51 PM

Is brook exclusive to clowns?

No, not by a long shot. It is a very common diseases and is often mis-ID'ed as (CRFD) Coral Reef fish Cisease, aka Oodinium occelatum or it newers name Amlyoodinium occelatum. It is problaby responsible for more fish deaths than any other fish disease.

according to Wilkerson, brook's mostly a thing of the past for TR clowns.

Know there is a line of BS

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 07/25/2003, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

And now I know better

I also lost my royal gramma (my first SW fish) because I couldn't catch him until it was too late.

But now I have the dirt cheap hospital / QT tank: hunk of base rock, PVC tube, 5.5 gallon tank, sponge filter and air pump. One clown's looking better, and the other one ... well, his colour's improved ... but I'll see how he's doing by morning.

But I do have two questions, 'tho. How long to keep the clowns in QT before moving into the (now fishless) display tank? How long before the display tank is disease-free?
Old 08/19/2003, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

If you have fish with brooklynella how would you treat them if in there case its lethal to use copper?
Old 08/23/2003, 12:20 AM
Premium Member

Do a 15 minute fresh water dip... I have just seen a miracle with two clowns after doing it! Here's some steps:

1. Get your R/O water ready. 1/2 gallon will do.

2. Add baking soda gradually to bring the PH up to about 8.2 (or whatever your tank is). I find that 1/4 per gallon is just right. That would be 1/8 of a cup for 1/2 a gallon.

3. Warm up the freshwater to the temperature currently in the tank.

4. Throw in an air stone.

5. Drop the fish in and wait exactly 15 minutes, gently stirring the water to keep the fish moving somewhat.

6. If the first dip doesn't work, do the same procedure 24 hours later, but with 1 drop of formulin.

This has done wonders for me. Good luck.
Old 10/26/2003, 07:29 PM
Registered Member

where can i get formalin from i need asap
Old 10/27/2003, 04:26 AM
20 and over club

Some LFS stock it. Otherwise, try a pharmacy or a veterinarian.
Old 11/05/2003, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I was wondering, how long before you know whether you are in the clear or not for Brook? I fished my clown out of the tank and put him and my red headed goby in a hospital tank where I now see what seem to be pieces of skin floating around. That was five days ago. the clown still seems sluggish and won't eat much, though he does seem to be eating a little (since I put a couple pellets in and when I come back, they're gone).

Oh, also, I did two formalin dips, one on thursday, one yesterday.
Old 11/06/2003, 03:54 AM
Registered Member

If you use the formalin correctly it will cure brooklynella. Do a search on formaldehyde and SeaScope magazine and you will find a article about it. You can also just type in a google search using my name to find it.
Terry Bartelme
Old 11/13/2003, 12:46 PM
Premium Member

Can Corals "Catch" Brook?

Hope this isn't a stupid question......

I noticed this morning that one of my clowns has Brook and was wondering if coral can be affected by this disease? I'm going to a frag swap on Saturday and don't want to pass it on to someone from one of my soft corals.

I've searched the forums for info, but can't find anything - hope this is good news.....

Thanks
Old 11/13/2003, 01:30 PM

was wondering if coral can be affected by this disease?

No, it is a fish obligated parasite

Here is TB's article

http://216.168.47.67/cis-fishnet/seascope/99SS1601.htm

Terry

BTW, did you see the rather nasty error in Vol. 20, Issue-3-2003, on U. marinum.....Cooper Sulfate...1.6 - 2.5 ppm = many dead fish. I called them and told them about it. I wonder if that is why that issue isn't on line at Marineland

Last edited by Boomer; 11/13/2003 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11/13/2003, 01:47 PM
Premium Member

Whew, thank you very much! I'll take a look at this article....

Now I just have to take care of the little guy.....
Old 11/13/2003, 02:04 PM

ATJ

Nice website

I'll be sending people there, great info

Old 12/17/2003, 03:35 PM
Works for corals

anyone have a picture of this?
Old 01/03/2004, 02:24 AM
Registered Member

I’m also interested in seeing some pic's of this brooklynella I just heard of it several weeks ago?
Old 01/10/2004, 10:10 PM
Registered Member

Re: Brook time

Quote:
Originally posted by Bomber
Just a heads up for you guys. It's that time of year again and we're seeing it a lot in pathology. So, be on the look out.
What should we be looking for? Are there any early warning signs?
Old 01/11/2004, 01:54 AM
20 and over club

Heavy breathing and sometimes lesions and heavy mucus.

See: Brooklynella.
Old 02/25/2004, 05:25 PM
20 and over club

Quote:
Originally posted by minus_13
Do a 15 minute fresh water dip... I have just seen a miracle with two clowns after doing it!
Freshwater dips are not effective for Brooklynella. Only formalin baths.

If the freshwater baths made a difference to the clowns, they probably had Amyloodinium, which as Jerel explains is often misdiagnosed as Brooklynella.
Old 06/21/2004, 07:49 AM
Moved On

I couldn't agree with you all on how deadly this desease is since I lost my two most beautiful for that I had for 2 years to that ugly parasite. My red Flame Angel & Dejardini Sailfin Tang.
Old 08/17/2004, 03:18 PM
Premium Member

what is the easiest way to tell brook from marine velvet??
Old 10/10/2004, 09:25 PM
Registered Member

I recently had a problem with our clownfish. From the book we had we figured we had brook. The male clown's top 1st fin was down, he was breathing hard, and got a white film on his body. My husband did a 30 sec freshwater dip and this seemed to help a little bit, after the dip he got his appetite back and his fin came up a bit. The next day the male started looking the same as he did before and the female started to look like she had a film on her body. So we caught them both and did a 15 min saltwater dip like our book said. I watched them while the dip occured, just incase I needed to rescue them immediatly. When we put the two in the container the male just rested on the bottom breathing hard, I occasionally tried to get him swimming about a little. The female was swimming and wiggling like normal. After about 3 minutes the male started to swim and wiggle like the female, so he was starting to feel better. Then after about 5 or 6 minutes I noticed little white spots appear on both fish. I looked like they were covered in microbubbles or ich. After 11 minutes they has all fallen off the female and after 14 minutes they had fallen off the male. Today they are swimming and eating, looking much better. One side note, neither fish started scratching that we could tell and they stayed in the middle column of the tank and never swam to the bottom or at the top to try to get more oxygen. What do you think we had? If we need to we will continue to do freshwater dips. How long will it stay in the system? Will we ever be rid of it. We did loose an adult male Banggai Cardinal we think to this. We had recently purchased two signal spot gobies from a pet store and we believe they introduced this to our tank.

Rian