Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/10/2006, 06:30 PM
Premium Member

Ozone and how is it setup?

Guys,

I been researching Ozone and am very interested in dosing it for my BB i'm starting up. The question I have it I've read everything about how to control it but I'm not quite sure how it is actually doesed into the system. For example what type of equipment is need etc. From what I read the Ozone should be controlled by the controller which I understand but what else is needed? What unit is actually dosing O3? A chamber or canister of some kind? A reactor unit I'm lost here.

So far.

1.) RedSea or any other ORP control unit....

What else is need? How is it actually dosed into the tank? Where does the Air Dryer from Red Sea fit into the whole equation. Maybe a flow chart with equipment labels would help. Thanks!

Controller --> UNKNOWN --> AQUARIUM
Old 01/10/2006, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Ozone works best in skimmers, it will help clear up your water and rid of most parasites. a unit with an ORP controller on it would be best as it woudl shuut off based on the ORP.
Old 01/10/2006, 07:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Julio
Ozone works best in skimmers, it will help clear up your water and rid of most parasites. a unit with an ORP controller on it would be best as it woudl shuut off based on the ORP.
I understand this part but what unit with an ORP controller are we talking about?

Is it like this then?

ORP CONTROLLER -----> UNKNOWN -----> SKIMMER -----> TANK?

The unknown I am assuming you referring to some device that injects O3? What is this device? Is there an example I can see? The red sea unit, is that a ORP + O3 combined unit or is it just the controller? Where is the O3 coming from. It can't be just air from the outside, is there a storage container I use to store O3? Sorry for the newbie questions but I can't seem to get a detailed picture of the setup.
Old 01/10/2006, 07:27 PM
Premium Member

You can buy reactors to use ozone in but IMO a skimmer is the way to go. When using an ORP controller be sure to start your addition of ozone slowly. Don't go the full amount the ozone generator will put out right away. Crank it up slowly.
Old 01/10/2006, 07:36 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moumda
You can buy reactors to use ozone in but IMO a skimmer is the way to go. When using an ORP controller be sure to start your addition of ozone slowly. Don't go the full amount the ozone generator will put out right away. Crank it up slowly.
Do for me to does Ozone all I need it is

Red Sea AquaZone Plus 50 - 50 mg/hr Ozonizer + Controller with Air Drier 250 plumbed to the skimmer?
Old 01/10/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

great question tagging along
IT'S NOT THAT SIMPLE.......
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/10/2006, 09:31 PM
Grouper Pooper Scooper

I also have a 300 gallon tank, and I bought the 50 mg/hr Red Sea unit which has the controller and generator in one unit. I purchased a pinpoint probe for the unit also as it did not come with it, and it is needed to operate the controller. I also bought a small air pump to push air through the Generator/Controller to the skimmer. My unit settled the ORP around 320, and now I wish that I had gotten a larger generator(100 mg) as I want the ORP to be set at 375 Mv.

Ozone was one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank as the water now is crystal clear, and I have a heavy fish load.

Inline I have the air pump--->500 mg dryer--->ozone generator/controller--->skimmer(ASM G-3)--->tank
Old 01/10/2006, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Using an Ozone reactor will not give you the same effect as using it in a skimmer, Ozone reactors are similar to CO2 reactors for fresh water planted tanks.
Old 01/11/2006, 12:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicklid
I also have a 300 gallon tank, and I bought the 50 mg/hr Red Sea unit which has the controller and generator in one unit. I purchased a pinpoint probe for the unit also as it did not come with it, and it is needed to operate the controller. I also bought a small air pump to push air through the Generator/Controller to the skimmer. My unit settled the ORP around 320, and now I wish that I had gotten a larger generator(100 mg) as I want the ORP to be set at 375 Mv.

Ozone was one of the best purchases that I have made for my tank as the water now is crystal clear, and I have a heavy fish load.

Inline I have the air pump--->500 mg dryer--->ozone generator/controller--->skimmer(ASM G-3)--->tank
Thanks you! This is what I wanted to know. Also how do you plumb the outgoing O3 into the skimmer? Do you attach it to the air tube that the skimmer would usually use to just sick in standard air? Or is it supplemented somehow?
Old 01/11/2006, 12:04 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Julio
Using an Ozone reactor will not give you the same effect as using it in a skimmer, Ozone reactors are similar to CO2 reactors for fresh water planted tanks.
I see so in the reef setup we use it exclusively skimming and no reactor unit.

It's strange as euro-reef discourages the use of ozone I wonder why? They explain it as it discourages skimming. I have heard the opposite.

"Q#2. Can I use OZONE (O3) in my Euro-Reef protein skimmer?

A#2. Yes, all Euro-Reef protein skimmers are safe for use with ozone.

~

Q#3. Should I use OZONE (O3) in my Euro-Reef protein skimmer to control my ORP?

A#3. Our official position is, NO, you should not use OZONE in your Euro-Reef protein skimmer. While the answer to this question is our opinion, there are some important "facts" to that have lead us to our current position and they should be considered. ORP, or Oxidation Reduction Potential, is a very misunderstood measurement and also an overused and abused term. While ozone will "technically" affect/adjust your ORP, it is far more desirable to achieve a stable ORP level via proper protein skimming, regular small water changes, and the consistent use of small amounts of GAC (Granular Activated Carbon). Ozone is extremely dangerous and very difficult to use properly. It should most definitely NOT be used in a protein skimmer if your intent is to gain the maximum benefit from it with the least amount of hassle. The reason it should not be used in a skimmer is that it inhibits the skimming process and defeats the purpose of the skimmer all together because it oxidizes organics (converts them into Nitrate) that the skimmer is supposed to remove BEFORE they are oxidized. If your intent is to use OZONE as a prophylactic to control pathogens ( parasites, bacteria etc,.), then a much better medium for ozone use is an ozone reactor. This device will allow you to get the maximum benefit from ozone while allowing the best opportunity to make sure that residual ozone does not enter into the filtration system/ sump or the aquarium proper where it can be very damaging. At the very least one should learn all one can about OZONE and weigh the drawbacks and benefits as an informed decision is ALWAYS a better decision. "
Old 01/11/2006, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sicklid

What if the situation was I have an Aqua Controller with built in ORP control and I wanted to does Ozone.

1.) Do they make stand alone generators without a controller that would work with an Aqua Controller, AquaDyne, or IKS Aquastar controllers? If so how will the controller interface with the generator?

2.) How would this be hooked up?

3.) Any specific models the pros would recommend?
Old 01/11/2006, 12:10 AM
Premium Member

I found this explanation of Ozone and I think it's awesome. It's funny how all the reef books don't explain how it does it and what equipment to use but just what it does.

"Aquarium Ozone Generators are one of the more sophisticated ways to clean-up your marine or reef aquarium. Ozone gas oxidizes organic materials from the tank before they can materialize into a nasty algae problem. You'll benefit with less maintenance, and your reef will enjoy a cleaner ecosystem.

Ozone Generators can be used a number of different ways. Either way, air is forced into the ozone generator where oxygen is converted to ozone via ultraviolet light. You can suck air through it using a venturi powerhead or ozone-safe protein skimmer, or you may push air through it using an aquarium air pump.

If you've battled algae or disease in the past, an ozone generator will be a welcome piece of aquarium equipment. "
Old 01/11/2006, 06:36 AM
Grouper Pooper Scooper

I just posted a couple of pics of my setup in another ozone thread in sps. Here is the link.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...76#post6472876
Old 01/18/2006, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Red Sea

I have the 100 Mg. Red Sea with the Built in ORP Controller, The setup is real simple, Tubing from Air Pump into the Drier (Also Drying out the Beads on the smal one that comes with the system is a pain in the @#$(%, I bought the Larger Dryer that they sell and just rotate them, that way I can cook the beads at my Convenience, You cook the beads at 250 when they are exhausted. I live in So. CA. and its a dry climate, and the small drier lasts 3 days max) Tube form otherside of drier to the Systems intake side. Use Ozone resistant tubing from the "out" side and for my system I teed it into the intake line on my Sedra 9000 Needle wheel...... My skimmers Gate Valve is just below the waterline and I put a bag full of Carbonright next too it.....It turns the Skimmate a slightly lighter Milkier color.....And it really makes the water clear. So far i have found it to be a great addition
Old 01/18/2006, 07:56 PM
Registered Member

To run ozone do you have to have a air pump?
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/18/2006, 08:01 PM
Registered Member

the addition of the air pump depends on the skimmer a beckett or venturi skimmer will"draw" air in thus negating the need for the air pump, ozone like anything reef must be added slowly and monitored regularly to prevent bleaching sps from a sudden change in light penetration or from excess ozone entering the display
Old 01/18/2006, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Ok I have a MRC MR2 with a beckett on it. so all I need is the ozone port from andy. I was looking into this http://cgi.ebay.com/RedSea-Aqua-Zone...QQcmdZViewItem
BAREBOTTOM ALL THE WAY®
Old 01/18/2006, 10:41 PM
Why? Because I can

I have an aquamedic turboflotor shorty which has a needle wheel. air is taken in via a tube that comes off the pump. water is pushed in to the skimmer via an additional pump. I have used a t connector and placed one end of tubing to the out on the redsea ozonizer. The other side is t'd into the skimmer. Do I need an air pump with this configuration? thanks a bunch for your help
Old 01/18/2006, 10:46 PM
Why? Because I can

one more question. I assumed the tubing would t into the out on the redsea ozonizer. if this is not correct let me know
Old 01/19/2006, 11:55 AM
Registered Member

Air Pump

It sounds pretty similar to the way the air is injected into the Sedra Needle wheel on my skimmer, and therefore I believe that you do need an air pump, tubing, Dryer, tubing into the intake side of the Red Sea Ozonizer