Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/27/2007, 10:03 AM
The Lord is my strength!

Question A Yellow Tang question. Looking for some advise

I was wondering if it would be possibl to add a flame fin tang into my 75 gallon with my yellow tang? My guess is that my yellow tang will abuse the smaller flame fin tang since he/she has been with me for close to 2 years now.

I will be moving to them both to a 180 gallon in the future and may just hold off but didn't know if anyone has done this with success or not.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08/27/2007, 10:09 AM
Nano Reefer

Most likely, you are right on the money with the yellow tang aggression. If he's been established in that tank, he probably won't take too well to any new tang additions.

Your best bet is to wait it out till you get the 180 gallon. Add the new tang first preferably, or both at the same time, to minimize aggression.
Old 08/27/2007, 11:03 AM
The Lord is my strength!

Thanks. I was actually thinking of adding several tangs and additional fish to my new 180 once I have it setup. Curious what your thoughts would be with my fish list and the tangs?

Powder Blue Tang - 1
Yellow Tang - 3 or 5
Flame Fin Tang - 1
=================
Green Chromis - 7 or 10
Sixline Wrasse - 1
Yellow Tailed Blenny - 1
Copper Banded Butterfly - 1
Sunburst Anthias aka (Fathead) - 5 or 7
Clown pair - not sure which ones yet
Mandarin Dragonett - 1
Pistol shrimp with Clown Shrimp Goby - 1 pair

Thanks,
Bill
Old 08/27/2007, 08:33 PM
Registered Member

yellow tang may go after copperband and unless your rock is very established then you might want to hold off on him and the dragonett , but I like the list sounds good. Good luck , btw be sure and qt , the powder blue is really the ich magnet people say they are. I am pretty confident about being able to keep fish and I have really had a hard time with that one species of tang , any in that species acanthuras is tough .
Old 08/28/2007, 11:12 AM
The Lord is my strength!

Thanks luckydog104. I have the yellow tang with my CCB now and they're fine. So far I have never experienced any major ich issues with any tangs that I have kept. I feed pretty heavy and try to keep a good water quality as well as use carbon which I think is partly due to my success. As for putting fish in a separate quarantine tank I have always felt that adds additional stress to them so in the past I have just acclimated them to the temp and them placed them into the tank. They always seem very happy once they got into the tank.

Of course I am not advocating against using a separate quarantine. That has just been my approach.

Take care,
Bill
Old 08/28/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Nice that is good to hear
Old 08/28/2007, 09:56 PM
Team RC Member

I've never had tang problems with a mandarin or other dragonet. My mandy thought a certain purple tang was her long lost love: she followed him everywhere, and he taught her mysis were good to eat. They were definitely the odd couple. The purple is another zebrasoma tang. My gobies, however, were not convinced Mr. Tang was harmless, and the yellow watchman refused to come out until Mr. Tang went to a Really Big Tank.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.

Last edited by Sk8r; 08/28/2007 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08/28/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

Yellow tangs are fairly aggressive. I decided to avoid getting one all together again. I had a baby in my 56, and moved it to the 90. Still only about 4". It ended up dying fat and looking healthy, so no idea what happened. Thing tried to kill everything new that entered, and would tail-swack things as well. I know my Diamond Goby (rip-carpet surfing) was scared of him as well. Poor fish would dart fast whenever he was near.

Now I have a tomini tang, they are smaller tangs and will probably be picked on by larger, more aggressive tangs. I know my male lyretail anthias gave her a beating within the first hour of being in the tank. She made mad dashes to get away and looked to have destroyed her side (looking better now, just scarring it seems). They do seem kinda skiddish, but now due to her almost smacking the anthias with her tang she's boss. I'd be scared of something with a tang in its side too!
0.0.1 Bearded Dragon

The Reptile File