Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > The Fish Breeding Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/08/2006, 10:49 PM
Propagator Extraordinaire

I just wanted to add to this thread before I go off and start my own. My egg strand showed up today (a day late, of course) and they're currently settled into a shallow dish sitting atop a submerged piece of live rock in the tank. I put about half the Bryopsis into a breeder net and the rest into the container. I wasn't feeling very secure with the breeder net, so we'll see how they do.
Old 06/08/2006, 11:07 PM
Moved On

Sweet Fred! Glad they showed up! Good luck!

Matt
Old 06/09/2006, 02:24 PM
Premium Member

You go Fred! I'm really glad to hear you are using a closed cup..maybe you can describe what the veligers and larva LOOK like, and then I'll know for sure if I actually have some or not. Little suckers at this stage

Good luck, surely at least one or two of us will get some viable adults. Good job distributing the eggs Matt.

No change here, still little greenish-white miniature rice grains crawling around...the bryopsis is definitely dissapearing in a place where it should be growing like crazy.

Good luck Fred, can't wait to read about your progress as well.

Jason
Old 06/09/2006, 03:42 PM
Propagator Extraordinaire

Whoda thunk we'd have ever been culturing nuisance algae?

I'll have an update on my thread later...hopefully there will be something to report other than "no changes". I've still got lots of stuff packed up, otherwise I'd be all over the container with my little 8X magnifier!

Again, it may be completely irrelevant due to different species, but I had the baby nudis at about 1/4" or maybe slightly more in about 1.5-2 months after introducing the original parents into my old 155. That may give a good time basis for what to expect as far as growth.
Old 06/09/2006, 10:43 PM
Moved On

If you guys are successful at raising lots of them, I have some hair algae that could use a trim....;(
Old 06/11/2006, 05:49 PM
Moved On

Cool to both of you - I'm still waiting for the first baby pics when they actually look like the parents...thatd be SOOOOOO cool

Matt
Old 06/12/2006, 08:31 AM
Registered Member

i didnt want to make my own thread so ill hitchhike on this one.

i got my ribbon in friday, as the ups guy was walking to me he dropped and then accidentaly kicked the styro =(

i hope you didnt want it back mwp, it has a hole in the side now =/

i put mine in a net breeder with a piece of lr with bryopsis on it and i think its doing good. pics to come.
Old 06/12/2006, 10:04 AM
Premium Member

Note about Net Breeders!!! With the bryopsis rock in it, my breeder net hangs the outside lip down just under the water level. I kept thinking I had fewer and fewer baby nudi's, but ignored it assuming they were hidden somewhere. Last night, I caught my peppermint shrimp in there...guess what he was eating!

I raised the breeder up so that the top touches the glass, so the peppermint isn't getting any more free meals. I still have quite a few...but I know why the numbers seemed to be decreasing. They are getting a better green tint to them now...maybe pics in another week or two.

Keep those reports coming, good or bad. (for the record, I culture aptasia too, for the berghias )

Jason
Old 06/22/2006, 01:07 AM
Registered Member

Any progress in here????
Inquiring minds.....
Old 06/22/2006, 09:41 AM
Premium Member

Well, that depends on your definition of progress

I still have 100+ crawling around, but they're just not that exciting. The are growing, but it's very slow. Just little greenish specs at this point. i'm assuming eventually they will sprout their true colors, and then I'll post pics and dote on them all the time. Until then, there's just not much to tell.

Jason
Old 06/22/2006, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

just glad to hear they're still alive an kicking...put me on the list for a few when they get bigger!
Old 08/08/2006, 01:56 PM
Moved On

Any news on the Sea Slug Front?
Old 08/08/2006, 04:46 PM
30 year and over club

I don't know, I let them go in my 100 gallon reef. There are a lot of things crawling around in there so I can't tell what's what.
Paul