Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/20/2006, 10:45 AM
Premium Member

Does Instant Ocean Lower the PH?

Hi,

We've found the Instant Ocean lowers our PH right out of the box. We have to raise it before we add it to our tank.

Our waters PH is 8.7 to start. Then we add the salt mix, and it drops to mid 7's. Is this normal?

So, to use this stuff we add calcium and raise the PH. Is there not a better way? Is there a better mix, more suited to a reef tank, to use?
Old 11/20/2006, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

It shouldn't lower it too much. You might try a reef mix. However, IMO, your pH is way too high. I would shoot for 8.2-8.4
Old 11/20/2006, 10:52 AM
Registered Member

Are you saying the RO water before adding the mix is 8.7 ? or the tank PH is 8.7 ?
Old 11/20/2006, 10:56 AM
Reef Chemist

[welcome]

Hey Amazon4, we live in the same town!

FWIW, the pH that you get after aerating new salt water depends on the alkalinity in it (IO has plenty) and the CO2 in your home air. If after mixing the pH is too low, and the pH measurement is accurate, blame your air.

This article has more:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm
Old 11/20/2006, 10:59 AM
Premium Member

My bad..the starting water is 8.7. Our tank water is 8.05 (working on raising it).
Old 11/20/2006, 11:11 AM
Premium Member

Hi Randy,

We got to hear your talk at the BRS meeting a couple of weeks ago. On your advice we added an air stone to the tank. It has helped - thanks!

But what we found odd was that if we take a bucket of FW at 8.7 and add IO, the PH immediately drops. Is that the chemistry of the OI? Or do you think it's the air?

We got a new digital PH meter, so we're confident of our readings.

Our RODI shows up today. Looking forward to using RODI water (yes...guilty of using tap water from Arlington...)
Old 11/20/2006, 01:46 PM
Reef Chemist

The pH of the mix should be lower than 8.7, so the effect you see is normal. When you get it, the pH of the RO/DI water may still read high (mine does, although I'm not sure if that is real or an artifact of the very large difficulties associated with measuring the pH of very pure water), but that has little effect on the pH after mixing with salt and aerating.