Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 10:10 PM
TRC Leader

I don't recommend using kalkwasser. If you were worried about baking soda, you should be terrified of kalkwasser.

Once you get the baking soda, spread it out on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Once it is done, pull it out, let it cool, then carefully transfer it into a small resealable container. Now you've got a year's worth of alkalinity & pH raising buffer on hand.
Old 01/08/2008, 10:22 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JJ4417
There is also a current theory about trates and phosphates needing to be detectable. FWIW, people believe that shrooms and zoas do better in water that is 'a little dirty'. Might want to check into that.

My chaeto doesn't even grow, much less my zoas. I was told to feed more to get trates a phosphates up a *little*. Won't affect the ich, but since you are sticking in the softie/lps realm...and you want to keep James fed...

Anyone a little more up on the debate?
That's a good point. I don't know just how much I could push it, but you're right. A little but of nutrients wouldn't hurt and James could use some more of what he likes.....
Old 01/08/2008, 10:29 PM
Premium Member

SeaSerpant - you're right. It is about time for some full tank shots. I'll see what I can get together. I had to work late today, so I'm playing catch-up tonight.

Melev - maybe I'll hold off on the kalk. Especially if the calcium doesn't need to be raised but the alk and pH do. Baked baking soda sounds like a plan. Unfortunately, the store was closed tonight, so that will be first on my list of things to do tomorrow. Proof I'm still relatively a newbie - basic reef ingredients I don't have on hand!!!!
Old 01/08/2008, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by melev
I don't recommend using kalkwasser. If you were worried about baking soda, you should be terrified of kalkwasser.

What don't you like about kalkwasser? What about for calcium dosing?
Old 01/08/2008, 10:44 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by jcpatella
SeaSerpant - you're right. It is about time for some full tank shots. I'll see what I can get together. I had to work late today, so I'm playing catch-up tonight.

Melev - maybe I'll hold off on the kalk. Especially if the calcium doesn't need to be raised but the alk and pH do. Baked baking soda sounds like a plan. Unfortunately, the store was closed tonight, so that will be first on my list of things to do tomorrow. Proof I'm still relatively a newbie - basic reef ingredients I don't have on hand!!!!
You can buy Arm & Hammer anywhere, including 7-11 or Walmart. That stuff should be available anywhere, around the clock.

Do you happen to keep an open box of it in the back of your fridge? A couple of spoons of it won't make or break your tank for the night.

If you have any kind of pH buffer (such as pH Plus), you could dose that instead. It will bring up both, and odds are it just is baking soda that has been private labeled.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:01 PM
Premium Member

I quickly took these pics for the sake of having some sort of image update. I'm honestly not in the best of moods tonight.... I have a lot of non-reef related things going on. Thank you all for the help and I'll catch up in a better tone tomorrow.

Horrible quality pic that shows no color or corals.....

Some pics of James doing what he does best.

Night guys.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:03 PM
Registered Member

Your parameters look good to me, but not quite as balanced as recommended as far as calc to alk. Use the dosing calculator...

wait a minute... your getting the baking soda--or the wife is, please remind us of her name so we don't have to keep calling her "the wife" --... and knowing how much time you've spent on RC (maybe even more than me), you've probably read Randy's article and know all about two part. So, look again at Randy's article and decide whether you want to use recipe one or two (assuming you're not going with the kalk). You're pH might be a determining factor in the decision to use one recipe over the other.

Ok, then you'll need to use the dosing calculator to bring alk into line with your calc. The pH should fall into line as you bring up the alk. As I recall, you're not dosing anything yet, right? What salt are you using and also what test kits are you using?

I hope I;m not confusing things. As it is, you don't even have corals so you shouldn't need to worry much about dosing. But do,by all means, use the dosing calculator when you raise the alkalinity and pH.

BTW, I'm sorry your fish has ich. I am sure you will do all that is necessary to insure his continued health. Now, quit with the fish! Let things settle in so we can see some coral in there!
Old 01/08/2008, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Do you have any baked baking soda? If you do, take 3 teaspoons of it and mix it up in a cup full of RO/DI water, and pour about half that mixture slowly into your sump. Wait about 10 minutes for the water to stabilize and check your pH again. If it isn't high enough yet, dose the rest of the cup.

Don't just dump the whole cup in there at once, because it could be too much and stress the corals and fish.

Baked (Arm & Hammer) baking soda will raise Alk and pH.
Most likely that is why your xenia are complaining, they are great indicators of low ph.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:20 PM
TRC Leader

Quote:
Originally posted by cannarella
What don't you like about kalkwasser? What about for calcium dosing?
Kalkwasser has a pH of 12. If it ever overdoses, or should I say when it overdoses, the pH in the tank will rise quickly which causes all kinds of issues. The water of the tank can turn milky white from the kalkwasser or from precipitation. Many tanks have been lost to kalkwasser failures.

I tried it briefly on my 280g, but made sure to protect my system from any risk. I had 20g of kalkwasser mixed up, which if it dosed all at one time to my tank, the pH never got over 8.55 (watched it happen once when my skimmer overflowed, flooded the fishroom and down the driveway) as the ATO refilled the system.

If you are dripping one gallon of kalkwasser every night overnight, you'll be fine. But if you make a larger amount of the product, make sure your system can handle all of it in one session. This is one of the things most people do not want to have to do: mix up a new batch every day.

When mixing, you have to let it sit and settle, and siphon out the clear fluid from the mixing container being careful not to siphon up the sediment nor the skin of solution on the surface of the water.

It is messy, corrosive, and can do real damage. I won't use it nor recommend it.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:28 PM
Registered Member

So calcium reactor is the safer way.
Old 01/08/2008, 11:37 PM
TRC Leader

Absolutely.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

hello jc, great thread, nice tank too, i see that you just started at this hobby and hope you enjoy it as much as i have so far, i read about fish having ich, have you tried garlic yet???.

sana
Old 01/09/2008, 06:57 AM
Registered Member

Your powder brown looks a little better jc. What kind of powderhead are you using
Old 01/09/2008, 07:58 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
My pH has ALWAYS been low, but I haven't done much about it. I don't like to add things to the system unless I fully understand what may come of it. I've been trying to read articles on kalkwasser, which may also help bring up my pH and alkalinity. My calcium seems alright, which is also a first....
Do you have any windows near your tank? If so you should try opening a window for about a day or so and let the fresh air get into the house. CO2 is what lowers the PH and if you replace the C02 in the room/house with fresh air, your Ph should rise. That is another alternative to raising the PH w/o adding anything to your tank.

Last edited by lilchris; 01/09/2008 at 08:06 AM.
Old 01/09/2008, 09:53 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fambrough
Your parameters look good to me, but not quite as balanced as recommended as far as calc to alk. Use the dosing calculator...

wait a minute... your getting the baking soda--or the wife is, please remind us of her name so we don't have to keep calling her "the wife" --... and knowing how much time you've spent on RC (maybe even more than me), you've probably read Randy's article and know all about two part. So, look again at Randy's article and decide whether you want to use recipe one or two (assuming you're not going with the kalk). You're pH might be a determining factor in the decision to use one recipe over the other.

Ok, then you'll need to use the dosing calculator to bring alk into line with your calc. The pH should fall into line as you bring up the alk. As I recall, you're not dosing anything yet, right? What salt are you using and also what test kits are you using?

I hope I;m not confusing things. As it is, you don't even have corals so you shouldn't need to worry much about dosing. But do,by all means, use the dosing calculator when you raise the alkalinity and pH.

BTW, I'm sorry your fish has ich. I am sure you will do all that is necessary to insure his continued health. Now, quit with the fish! Let things settle in so we can see some coral in there!
The wife's name is Jackie and my name is Josh. I don't think I've formally introduced myself yet! I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro salt, which is supposed to have elevated levels of calc. As for test kits, I forgot the name of it so I'll let you know when I get home later. I do have some corals, just not so much yet that are going to deplete my calc between water changes.

I'm going to the LFS tonight to pick up some corals!!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 09:57 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Absolutely.
Thank you for the information on kalk. I'd love to go the way of a calc reactor but

1) They're expensive
2) I probably don't need calc dosing yet with my system
3) They're expensive

You've given me motivation to have a fun picture-taking night tonight. Last night was a rather drab night, so we'll make up for it tonight. STAY TUNED!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:00 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sanababit
hello jc, great thread, nice tank too, i see that you just started at this hobby and hope you enjoy it as much as i have so far, i read about fish having ich, have you tried garlic yet???.

sana
I'm using it every day. I've been tirelessly crushing cloves, but I'm going to the LFS tonight to pick up some prepared garlic drop stuff.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:09 AM
Premium Member

reeftanks6 - I'm using Hydor Koralia 3 and 4 (it's in my Current Tanks info)

Lilchris - yes, I have my front door near the tank (and windows). I had my windows and door open all weekend, but then again I was painting all weekend. As previously recommended, I may run the skimmer's airline to an outside source.

On the list for tonight:
-Baking Soda (baked to your pleasure)
-Garlic extract
-Food for the corals (suggestions?)
-CORALS!!!!! (Rics, zoas, Jackie's expensive selection, etc)

I feel bad that the thread's been more of a serious tone lately. I've fallen short of my pic/post ratio, so I've got some fun plans for tonight!!!! Let's just say the wifey's picking up an apron for the event!!!!!!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:21 AM
Registered Member

Ooo! I can't wait! Can Jackie get an apron with some white frilly fringe and a big bow?

Seriously though, thanks for the reminder of your names. It's good to have you on the boards Josh and Jackie. My name is Ben.

Have fun picking out the corals!
Old 01/09/2008, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Thank you for the information on kalk. I'd love to go the way of a calc reactor but

1) They're expensive
2) I probably don't need calc dosing yet with my system
3) They're expensive

You've given me motivation to have a fun picture-taking night tonight. Last night was a rather drab night, so we'll make up for it tonight. STAY TUNED!
Thats why Randy's two part is so great, my investment of $35 for dowflake has given me a lifetime supply of ca supplement. Its safe and cheap, hard to beat I have read that the proper Ca and Alk levels can actually help with soft coral growth (maybe its because it helps maintain pH?) really not sure.
Old 01/09/2008, 10:52 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by fambrough
Ooo! I can't wait! Can Jackie get an apron with some white frilly fringe and a big bow?
ARE there other aprons?
Old 01/09/2008, 01:48 PM
TRC Leader

You are right about calcium reactors being expensive. Which is why people have dripped kalk instead to save money. Yes, you definitely save money, with somewhat of a hassle, somewhat messy, and definitely risky.

The next alternative would be to dose a two part additive. I used to use ESV's B-Ionic (and I also tried the two part C-Balance for a while) to maintain Alk, Ca, pH and other minor elements. It works great, but you have to do it every day - every day of the year. It takes a whopping minute of your time and keeps the numbers rock solid, but after doing that in my 29g and 55g for more than 2800 dosings, I was happy to use a calcium reactor on my 280g reef. (2800 = 2 daily doses for 2 tanks for more than 2 years)

Randy's two part recipe that bohlke mentioned will definitely save you money by comparison, and is a good DIY that many have chosen to use. You do have to dose it daily. You can find the supplies locally, or order it online.
Old 01/09/2008, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Melev I was just looking at your site this morning and saw that you used the b-ionic. How mant dosing cup fulls would you use when dosing the 55? I am thinking of ordering some but want to get an idea of how much I would go through. Could you dose the b-ionic through a dosing pump?
Old 01/09/2008, 02:39 PM
TRC Leader

I think it was one full cup (30ml) per day on the 55g, of each part. The best way to get B-Ionic and save money is to buy the 2-pack Quart bottles, as those are so easy to use on a daily basis. They come with the dosing cups. Then you can order the two 1 gallon containers to refill the quart bottles. Or if you feel you'll be using it long term, you can order two 5g buckets of the stuff online for about $120 (including shipping). When it arrives, you'll add RO/DI water to each bucket and mix it up like crazy. They ship it in the buckets in concentrated form, but it is only like 2" worth in each bucket. It isn't heavy (shipping) until you add all that water.

I've seen a B-Ionic dosing station. It is an acrylic stand, a couple of rubbermaid containers, tubing, and two pumps. It was pretty expensive when I saw it, considering what you got, but if you wanted something to dose your tank for a week at a time it might be the gizmo for you.

Dosing pumps are great as long as they are set up correctly. I know quite a few people that use them for all kinds of stuff: dosing product, topping off their tank, doing water changes! Crazy. With the new Profilux controller, you can connect up to 12 dosing pumps.
Old 01/09/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Once you get the baking soda, spread it out on a cookie sheet and put it in the oven at 350 degrees for 60 minutes. Once it is done, pull it out, let it cool, then carefully transfer it into a small resealable container. Now you've got a year's worth of alkalinity & pH raising buffer on hand.
Sorry in advance not trying to hijack. Why must you bake the stuff before you use it?