Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

Has anyone tried Pacific East Aquaculture's FUSION rock?

Wondering if any of you have any experience with the Tonga Nuku Fusion live rock from Pacific East Aquaculture?

I love the shape on this rock - but the "not fully cured" part scares me a bit. (my wife has a VERY good sense of smell....)

This would be going into a brand new 125. (my plan as of now is cured Timora rock from Premium Aquatics - but then I found this stuff - hmmm....)
Old 01/08/2008, 01:47 AM
Registered Member

That stuff looks amazing. Even if it's "Fully cured" your going to have to cure it. They ship it moist there will be some die-off.
Old 01/08/2008, 01:50 AM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

IMO take a trip down to Premium if you can. Cherry pick your pieces
Old 01/08/2008, 07:19 AM
B'rer Reefer

The Fusion is very good stuff; seems a bit more porous than the Timora looks to be. You WILL have to cure it though. Shouldn't be too big of a deal in a brand new tank.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Mojo Jojo
IMO take a trip down to Premium if you can. Cherry pick your pieces
If they were in northern Indiana, I would. But they're a 6 hour drive each way - plus about $200 in gas.

Anyplace as good as Premium in Chicago to get live rock?

I know I'll have some curing regardless of the rock I get, but if I KNOWINGLY bring uncured rock into the house and stink up the place for a few days, my wife will kill me. (she just now no longer smells the oil based paint I used on the back of the tank the 2nd week of Dec)
Old 01/08/2008, 10:14 AM
Bucket Reefer

We ordered some tonga fusion for our store awhile back. It cures up nicely. Most of the growth on it is coralline, and some sponges. I don't think it will stink up your house all that much or any more than any other type of rock.
Old 01/08/2008, 02:23 PM
PRoTeCToR oF ALL ReeF ;)

Yea good point! Around here the only good store to have nice pieces is Sho Tank in Mundelein, IL. One of the CMAS guys got some nice deep water tonga. Thats just what the store labels it. By far it makes the best show pieces that I have seen. Sorry I cant be much help with price, but you should give them a call and see if they have some large show pieces. Good Luck with the tank