Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/27/2004, 10:53 PM
Registered Member

Lighting on a budget...

I'm looking to pickup a T5 system for a new 55 gallon setup, but, being that this is my first Marine tank, I have something shy of a million questions.

I've read quite a few of the threads in here, so I'm pretty confident in my choice of a T5 system, as my tank will be lightly fished with some compatible soft corals.

I'm just not sure on the bulbs I should buy. I really wanted to keep under $200 for the lights, and it will be a retro, as I've got a nice hood to mount it in. I know that I should get the 10k bulbs. Will I need Actinic lighting? I'm not planning on any sps or clams.

Last question (for the night), how many watts should I be looking for in a set of bulbs? I'm leaning towards the 2x39 setup at http://www.innovativelights.com/ just not sure that it would be enough light. If it helps, it's a long tank.

Thanks for all the help everyone here has already given in the form of old posts, btw.
Old 04/28/2004, 02:35 AM
Registered Member

CustomSeaLife

Hey, I have a 20g Long. Installed I have a 2x65w PowerCompact setup, by CustomSeaLife.

Costed me a few over $200 for 130 watts of good light. The thing even came with moon-lights pre installed, and fans. I am very satisfied with my choice in lighting, as I am quite able to persue corals and clams. The site you have mentioned above I have looked through, and found a 4x65w PowerCompact setup that will probably fair best with you, only $299 too, with moon-lights, and fans.

Your lighting has about 80% to do with the success of your marine adventure, as does filtration, as well as quality husbandry. Not to confuse you, but many will agree when I say that if you want to go swimming, you've got to jump in... and be sure to take your shoes and socks off. Simply, cheaper isn't always better, because in this hobby you actually might just get what you pay for.

Paying for cheap-*** "just-to-get-by" lighting and filtration will end you up in a pretty nice pile of detritus. Go for it bro, bring the dumptruck to the bank and withdraw the **** outta your account. Beeline it for the cleanest most established LFS within a fifty-mile radius and get your tank started on the right foot. You'll love it later.

Justin
Old 04/28/2004, 03:50 AM
Eye on our reefs

Get the 2x54 set up for starters. Lighting is no place to cut corners. You may feel it is now, but in a year you will be banging your head against the wall saying why did I cheap out. As for bulbs a pair of the aquablues should look nice. also if you buy the retrofits from reef geek the bulbs are included in the price.
Old 04/28/2004, 09:04 AM
Elite Member

For a 55g you should go with at least 4 54w T5s. Or for 75.00 more over your budget get some MH lights and keep everything you will want down the line.

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info...roducts_id=102
Old 04/28/2004, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

I agree with Tek, get what you can now (halides) because you will eventually end up buying them anyways.

I can probably vouch for everyone on this board that wishes they could "do it over again". It would save so much money!!!!

I have replaced everything in my tank and still want more
Old 04/28/2004, 12:36 PM
Reefer

You could get a Sylvania ballast to run two 54w T5HO for around $45, combine a GE Starcoat (or Phillips) lamp for like $10-15 and then bight the bullet and get a more expensive actinic. I think that would work OK. But you'd still need reflectors and end caps.

Like the others have mentioned, I'd go for at least the 2x54w. These lamps fit well on a 48" tank, I think the 39w lamps are shorter.....
Old 04/28/2004, 12:38 PM
Reefer

Hey Daddyo,

To Reef Central!
Old 04/28/2004, 12:52 PM
Registered Member

I would go with a workhorse 5 or 7 ballast to run 2 actinic t5's and get metal halides as well. You can diy the metal halides if you are into diy or get a dual pfo ballast.
Old 04/28/2004, 01:00 PM
Reefer

Talking Bob Tanker

To Reef Central!

.....That sounds like good advise to me
Old 04/29/2004, 12:14 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tek
For a 55g you should go with at least 4 54w T5s. Or for 75.00 more over your budget get some MH lights and keep everything you will want down the line.

http://diyreef.com/shop/product_info...roducts_id=102
That's not too bad of an option. Would I need to worry about heat with those? It's a closed hood, so I would need to drill some holes in the wood (not a big deal) to vent heat if it's going to be a problem.

Also, these come with a 12,000k bulb standard. This is enough for all I'm going to do, right?

(Sorry, lighting is my weakness when it comes to marine aquariums)
Old 04/29/2004, 12:33 AM
Eye on our reefs

Which lights are you considering the MH or the T5? The link you quoted is for metal halides
Old 04/29/2004, 05:06 AM
Elite Member

What kind if hood are you talking about? A light hood or a cabinet hood? For heat issues you can leave the tank open top with no glass and have a 4-6" fan blowing over to cool it. Also mounting the lights 10-12" over the water will help. The MH 12Ks will be just fine to keep anything from soft/hard corals, SPS, clams, and anenomes. I started this hobby with NO, PC, then VHOs and wish I had gone with MH to begin with.
Old 04/29/2004, 08:02 PM
Registered Member

Go for the 4x65w PC from CustomSeaLife... I'm telling you bro, pretty nice deal for $299. You MIGHT even be able to find a cheaper retro somewhere.

Sounds like you're thrifty. Go and get a retro kit, but please go with one with more light. I'm not too sure how intense the 2x54w's are. The 4x65w will do you plenty good. As mentioned above, DO NOT skimp on the light. Just keep searching for deals, you'll find something.

Oh yeah, and to back up what Tek said, screw the hood. Leave that mother open top. Nothin' like a convertible in the summer right. LoL!
OPEN TOP FOR LIFE, MUTHA WHAT!
Old 04/29/2004, 08:11 PM
Elite Member

4X54w T5s are brighter then 4X65w PCs and for 299.99 the MH at 275.00 is a lot better deal.
Old 04/29/2004, 08:54 PM
Registered Member

Oh...

Where do you get a MH setup for only $275? Is that bulbs, ballast, wiring, switch, AND sockets?

If he's going open top though, that means he's going to have to fork out a little bit more cash for a pendant. Unless he's a handyman.
Old 04/29/2004, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

Yep and reflector

DIYReef.com

Actual link is up in the thread.
Old 05/01/2004, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Just reading along folks but was wondering why no one has mentioned VHO? Do T5HO out perform VHO per watt? I am trying to make a similair decision for a 55 and have not been able to find ratings for lumen output for T5 or VHO. At the moment, I am leaning to the T5 since they are lower profile. Can anyone tell me if the 4 foot T5's run cooler than the VHO's? I would like to have a shorter hood. If that is the case, I'll definately go T5

Steve
Old 05/01/2004, 05:44 PM
Elite Member

T5s put out more per watt and you can fit more under the hood then VHO.
Old 05/01/2004, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the reply. Do you know and sites or links that can quantify the lumen output and heat output of of the T5's and the VHO?
Old 05/01/2004, 11:37 PM
Fish Addict

Daddyo, if you're putting to gether the words, lighting and budget, then one of the first things I tell you to forget about is T5. They are not "budget". They are pricey on the front end. You need to buy individual reflectors to optimize the light output from the T5s, or you are wasting the "potential" of the T5HO bulb. This essentially means spending an extra 20 bux per bulb. Don't get me wrong, I love T5s, I think they are the best fluorescent option, but "budget" doesn't describe a good T5 setup.

IF your canopy can handle it, and you have the capacity to shed the heat, then the cheapest/biggest bang for your buck lighting will be one of the budget single ended MH setups.

IMO, if you don't have a canopy or setup that can accomodate MH, then the next "bang for your buck" setup is a VHO setup.

Again, JMO, PCs aren't worth the effort. The bulbs are fragile. They color shift prematurely, you never really know what you are getting (the bulb color temp tends to be the phosphor of the month in Taiwan). Again, strictly opinion here.
Old 05/02/2004, 12:56 PM
Registered Member

I am brand new to this hobby and first let me say this site is absolutely wonderful. I am looking into lighting. I had about decided to get 4x55 compact lighting with reflectors...55 gal tank...mainly want soft corals and a few fish...thinking down the line I may want a clam....Am I going to have to upgrade or change my lighting? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciate....
Old 05/02/2004, 12:57 PM
Fish Addict

don't get the clam. otherwise it's fine.
Old 05/02/2004, 01:08 PM
Registered Member

:-) BUT if I want a clam.....typical male....so logical
Old 05/02/2004, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

hun9731,
Yes you would have to change your lighting to keep Maxima and Crocea clams.

I use T5 lighting to keep two Crocea clams but others will say it's not wise and should only be done with MH.

Mine do just fine and so do many T5 users who are keeping light loving clams.

Daddyo, 4 lights would be ideal but if money is limited another 2 can be added when your ready. Reefgeek sells the 2x39 for $169 and it included the bulbs. I highly recommend the Sunlight Supply setup.

As far as what bulbs I would run 1 sun and 1 Actinic. I believe the Sun bulbs really help the corals grow. In my setup i run 2 suns, 2 Actinic and 1 Aquablue. You can see pictures of this setup on my web page.

I also just have vent holes with the lights about 1" from the water. No heat problems except on days above 85 in the house when I point a fan onto the sump.

Former MH user here.