Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 02:12 PM
Premium Member

Geo 612 Calcium Reactor Setup and Advice

Hello everyone,

I have a Geo 612 calcium reactor. I have it all hooked up but am not yet pumping any Co2 through it. I have just setup a new tank about three months ago now and just introduced the first fish two weeks ago.

My question is should I setup and run the reactor now, or should I wait till I start putting in corals?

Does anyone have any experience with setting up this reactor using an aquacontroller jr. to control it? Where should I start? I have no idea on the following:

1. What should the drip rate be?

2. How many bpm?

3. What should the ph values be for the AC Jr?

I don't want a spike in alkalinity which is why I want to be as careful as possible. Any and all advice would be very helpful.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 01/08/2008, 02:27 PM
Grand High Puba

I wouldn't worry about running it at all until you have a least a few corals in there. You'll have more than enough calcium with just regular water changes. Just keep your eye on the CA and ALK levels and that will be a good indication of when you can start running the reactor.

Cheers,
Waxx
Old 01/09/2008, 12:07 AM
Premium Member

So there is no point to run it now? But wouldn't it benefit corraline algae growth?