Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/05/2004, 10:02 AM
Registered Member

This rock cleaning process seems like a lot of work to say the least!! I use my powerhead probably about once a month and move it around the rocks to blow the detritus out while the system is running so that the junk gets filtered while in suspension instead of settling down on the sand. I don't do the whole tank at onces b/c the water gets pretty dirty for while. I did half the tank last night and about one hour later the water was clean again.

This is not as through as the process of cooking put for some of us with a little less enthousiam I think its very helpful!!

Mia
Old 12/09/2004, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

Well after carefully reading, Bomber and other reefers thoughts and talking to SeanT. I feel I understand the basis of "Cooking Liverock"

Rather then continuing PMing and talking on the phone with SeanT, I decided to ask my questions here. So others debating on the "Cooking Liverock" process might get there questions answered as well.

I am in the process of getting ready to cook my liverock. The main issue ATM is Room for water. Not having access to NSW it becomes a issue to some degree.

I have a 75 gal tank with 20gal refug connected.

So I am making enough water for my first step.

First I have a 55 gal tank filled with RO/DI water. With a small heater and a small PH. This is where I will be processing my rock.

I have another tub from walmart that will hold about 30-35 gal.

I have 2 5 gal jugs that I will fill with ready made water with salt.
WHY I had to remember once I take out the rock from my tank, it will be low from displacement. So my 2 5 gal jugs will handle that.

I also will be buying another container maybe a garbage container. To hold more water. I plan on having enough water to fill backup the 55 and have more for the cleaning process. The buckets for each process will be filled using the one 30-35 container instead of having alot of bucket around.

For me the water is the main issue.

So first question is-- instead of emptying dirty water out for the first stage,or 1st 2nd 3rd bucket can I just filter this water with a sock by tranfering it from one container to another?

This would save me alot of water in the long run.

Also, even if I dont filter the water after 2 days the water in 1,2,3 buckets will be clean from the detritus settling on the bottom.

After all the the final bucket is what counts. Thats the one you really don't want to see and dirt in.

Also I don't have my RO/DI unit hard plumbed so I have to watch it. I start filling from 3:00pm to 10:00pm at night.

So far it took 2 days to fill my 55 gal. As of now my 30-35 container is filling Plus I want more. So now-- This brings me to 3-4 days. Possibly 5 days. So instead of doing this realistically in 2-3 day intervals. I'm looking at 5-6 days between cleanings. Is this a major issue?

Water is as you said a issue of the whole project. I will do it. But some changes had to be made.

I guess for most it might not be to bad but I have a small "operation" here.

Comments please.

Last edited by arconom; 12/09/2004 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12/09/2004, 07:03 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Hi Erik,
First, the 55 full of RODI water is saltwater right?
I would not recommend trying to filter the water through a sock back into the holding tank.
Although it will get a lot of the detrius, it will not get all the Phosphorous (or any for that matter). As it is in the water itself.

Although, if you would like to do it this way for the first few weeks I guess it wouldn't hurt too much.
Just know that you will have to do many 100% water changes as well.

Your storing the rinse bucket water is a good idea in theory.
However, it also depends on how long you plan on leaving it there.
It can get anoxic without circulation which would be bad for the life on your rocks.

Sean
Old 12/09/2004, 07:33 PM
Premium Member

Exactly, I plan on only doing this with the rinse water. Also all the water is SW.

This will help me keep up with fresh RO/DI production. The rinse water buckets will be redone every week.

Last edited by arconom; 12/09/2004 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12/09/2004, 09:35 PM
Premium Member

Also I have decided to go BB. A question I have is what Diameter PVC should I use for my rack? Also should I use end caps on the ends? or leave them open?
Old 12/09/2004, 11:01 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

I used 3/4" schedule 80. 1/2" would work just as well.
I left the ends open my self...no real reason except I thought the water may go anoxic and could cause problems down the road.
I have no idea if that is possible.
Sean
Old 12/10/2004, 03:44 PM
Registered Member

I'd love to see the pics you mentioned SeanT
Old 12/10/2004, 06:25 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

What would you like to see pics of?
Old 12/10/2004, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

before and after shots of the rock?

Old 12/11/2004, 01:34 AM
Premium Member

This all sounds like a good idea, however I have 2 questions:
How old would a tank be before the rocks need to be "cooked", would it be years of operation or just the onset of excess alga.

How do you get all the critters, corals zoos and other inhabitants of the tank to let go of the rock they have been growing on.
Old 12/11/2004, 09:47 AM
Premium Member

To my reading knowledge this process can be done at any point. I would loved to have done it at the curing stage.

So basically you can do this process and have your rock cured,and cooked if you just bought your rock. Thats the best scenario.

About the critters and such, you will have your cooking tub completly dark. There should be no exposure to light. This will make living for some animals not possible. Pods and such will survive given correct temp and other variables.

Also all Decoritive corals such as coral zoos, and others as well you should get off before cooking.

Please dont quote me but this from my reading and understanding.
Old 12/11/2004, 10:47 AM
Premium Member

LMAO....If you guys talk me into this my wife will probably divorce me if I put a bunch of LR in the oven! Ok...u guys that have done this are obviously either single or have really cool wifes!
Old 12/11/2004, 11:03 AM

Sean, I might cook my rock. This red turf algea is really starting to bug me. Anyhow, if I do decide to I will modify the method.

1) Take rock out, put it outside on the cement.
2) High pressure hose and blast and scrub the rock.
3) Put rock in tub with a powerhead and new SW under total darkness.
4) Once or twice a week, take rock out, put outside on the cement and blast it with a high pressure hose.
5) Put rock in tub with new SW.
6) Repeat step 4 and 5 for about 6-8 weeks.

How's that sound?
Old 12/11/2004, 11:09 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Project Reef
Sean, I might cook my rock. This red turf algea is really starting to bug me. Anyhow, if I do decide to I will modify the method.

1) Take rock out, put it outside on the cement.
2) High pressure hose and blast and scrub the rock.
3) Put rock in tub with a powerhead and new SW under total darkness.
4) Once or twice a week, take rock out, put outside on the cement and blast it with a high pressure hose.
5) Put rock in tub with new SW.
6) Repeat step 4 and 5 for about 6-8 weeks.

How's that sound?
now you've got DEAD rock
doh!!!
John
Old 12/11/2004, 11:10 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Sounds unnecessary Ali.
The high pressure blasting anway.

In 6-8 weeks your rock will be smooth as a baby's butt so long as you do the water changes and swishing.

Truly a minimal effort/maximum reward situation.
Time is all it takes for the most part.
Old 12/11/2004, 11:11 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by scubadude
LMAO....If you guys talk me into this my wife will probably divorce me if I put a bunch of LR in the oven! Ok...u guys that have done this are obviously either single or have really cool wifes!
ROOCCKKYYY!

Read the first page my man.

NO OVENS NO HEAT!
Just water and darkness.
Old 12/11/2004, 11:12 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Quote:
Originally posted by john the hermit
now you've got DEAD rock
doh!!!
John
What do you mean 'dead' John.
My rock is teeming with life, pods, sponges, worms.
Sean
Old 12/11/2004, 11:12 AM

Quote:
now you've got DEAD rock
doh!!!
John
Why would it be dead rock? The bacteria will still be there. Being hosed down by FW for a couple minutes won't kill the bacteria. Consider it a high-powered freshwater dip.
Old 12/11/2004, 11:13 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Broodingwolf,
I will post some before and after pics here shortly.
I will show some close ups of the red turf I used to have and the Bryopsis and the Valonia and then pics of the "now"
Sean
Old 12/11/2004, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT
I will post some before and after pics here shortly.
Sean
Sweet. Looks like I found this thread at the right time.
Old 12/11/2004, 11:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Why would it be dead rock? The bacteria will still be there. Being hosed down by FW for a couple minutes won't kill the bacteria. Consider it a high-powered freshwater dip.
I think a high pressure hose with tap water, (chlorine etc) is a lot more aggresive than a fresh water dip with RO water. It'll likely wipe out all life on the surface of the rock and it aint necessary.
don't do it man, the normal way will be fine.
good luck
John
Old 12/11/2004, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I think a high pressure hose with tap water, (chlorine etc) is a lot more aggresive than a fresh water dip with RO water. It'll likely wipe out all life on the surface of the rock and it aint necessary.
don't do it man, the normal way will be fine.
good luck
John
I agree that it'll kill the life on the surface. However the only thing I am worried about is the bacteria inside the rock. I'd do it the normal way, but the normal way involves a whole lotta buckets, SW and swishing.
Old 12/11/2004, 12:36 PM

Sean, it's been almost 2 hours! Where the pics?
Old 12/11/2004, 12:37 PM

John, I PM'd Bomber about it as well so I'll keep you posted on what he says.
Old 12/11/2004, 12:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
I agree that it'll kill the life on the surface. However the only thing I am worried about is the bacteria inside the rock. I'd do it the normal way, but the normal way involves a whole lotta buckets, SW and swishing.
I agree it's a lot of work, I'm concerned that your way will kill more than surface bacteria, sponges worms etc, but will also get in the rock and do more damage.
LR has more than just bacteria!
It is a lot of work as I'm finding out, frankly it's a pain in the arse keep having to mix all that water and rinse and swish, but the amount of crud that's come out convinces me that it's doing good.
You can't rush it.
good luck with whatever you decide.
John