Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/09/2004, 09:06 PM
Premium Member

everytime I have cooked rock I have done it at about 2 degrees over what I keep a dislplay at,, this may be something in my head,, but since their is no light , the higher temp speeds metabolism up a little to help sustain pods, bacteria etc,,,,

Nathan
Old 11/09/2004, 09:26 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

I don't know about "in" your head, but "on" your head appears to be a lime peel.
Old 11/09/2004, 11:37 PM
Premium Member

sean,,,, yer looking kinda flat yourself,,

Nathan
Old 11/10/2004, 07:21 AM
troublemaker

That temp. slightly raised is an interesting idea to think about
Old 11/10/2004, 04:35 PM
Premium Member

I've been watching this thread with interest as I've had a problem with a very tough turf algae. I also decided that I had inadequate flow in the tank which was probably part of the problem. I've taken steps to improve flow by installing steam pumps and a controler and also decided to cook my LR as its about 5 years old and would benefit from the process.
So far it's been cooking for about three weeks, and I'm very impressed with the amount of " mud " thats come out when rinseing so I think it's worthwhile continueing.
I'm hopeing to finish the process dureing the Christmas break as I'll have time then to landscape the tank.
Can anyone give me an idea how long it takes to kill this turf agae by cooking, as so far, although it's stopped growing any bigger, it aint dead yet !
I'll be grateful for any advice.
cheers
John
Old 11/10/2004, 06:31 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

It can take up to 8 weeks, maybe even a little longer determined by how much crap is in the rocks.

The best way to expedite it is through regular water changes (I recommend 2-3 a week for the first 2-3 weeks).
But just as important (maybe more so) as the waterchanges is the rinsing technique.
Set up several buckets, rinse the rock in the tub it is cooking in, the swish and rinse vigorously in through a series of three buckets.
Then, in a holding tub.
Repeat for each rock (but once a bucket is funky and filled with brown water it is time to use new water).
Empty cooking tub water, rinse it out with garden hose, fill with clean water.
Repeat the rock swishing process in reverse and add to cooking tub.

A good many of my rocks had red, short haired, truf algae on them.
All gone now.

Patience and diligence is key.
Old 11/10/2004, 06:44 PM
Premium Member

Thats exactly what I've been doing Sean, don't those rinses make your fingers sore!
By the time I'm finished cooking about 10 weeks should have passed and hopefully the turf algae with it . I'll let you know if it's still there at the end.
regards
John
Old 11/11/2004, 05:13 PM
Registered Member

I bought some rock for my new nano and I am amazed at how much crap comes out of the rocks everytime I change the water out. Im only 1.5 weeks into the cooking process.
Old 11/19/2004, 12:43 PM
Premium Member

Question about this....
I've got about 40-50 pounds of LR sitting in a tub in my garage. All I have in the tub besides the rock is a heater and a 500 gph pump. No lights and the tub is always covered. I'm sure there is a ton of detrius in the bottom. How can I start this procedure to this rock?

Why not just rinse in one bucket then to another until you clean out the main tub or does it release that much gunk? My rock has been in this tub for almost 4 months, is it safe to assume that the algal cycle is gone and just bacterial now?

My other computer is your MAC.
Old 11/19/2004, 01:02 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

thrlride,
A couple of water changes and you should be done.
The swishing helps to pull out gunk deep inside the rock and allows the bacteria to get deeper still.

The water changes are to eliminate and P in the water column and make the bacteria concentrate on the junk IN the rock.
Old 11/19/2004, 01:03 PM
Registered Member

In my experience, I have changed the water out every 3-4 days for the past 3 weeks. The rock is seriously dirty. I swish the rock in two buckets of clean water and then put back in new water for 3-4 days. The buckets I swish the rock in are so freakin dirty its unbelievable. When I put it back in the clean water and let sit, in 4 days that water is nasty again. I will keep doing it until the water is clean after a week.
Old 11/25/2004, 12:40 AM
Registered Member

what exactly is ASW? I'm trying to keep up with this thread, but this is confusing me to no end. (i assume the SW stands for Salt Water, but what does the A stand for?)

Thanks,
Mark
Old 11/25/2004, 01:35 AM
Ancient Eskimo Legend

ASW=Artificial Salt Water

"The wind blew, the detritus flew and then they came two by two."
Old 11/25/2004, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

o no hobbist are now getting so extreme we are roasting these intellent and feeling beings alive BETTER CALL PETA!!!!

would you do that to your puppy or kitten

Ashley
Old 11/25/2004, 08:19 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Someone didn't read the thread.
Old 11/26/2004, 11:19 AM
Premium Member

Wouldnt be the first time Sean...LOL

Nathan
Old 11/29/2004, 06:29 PM
Registered Member

I also cooked 40lbs of new live rock. After 2-3 months I had almost a DSB in the cooking container, so much stuff came out of the rocks
Old 11/29/2004, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by purplehaze
I also cooked 40lbs of new live rock. After 2-3 months I had almost a DSB in the cooking container, so much stuff came out of the rocks
Purplehaze,
You want to make sure to get that stuff out on a weekly basis at least while cooking your rock. When you leave it in the tub, it just sits and releases the phosphates right back into the water column. You want to physically remove all the detrius and stuff along with it, so it isn't realsed back into the water column. This way you are removing an easy source of food for the bacteria, and making them clean that rock up.
Mike
Old 11/29/2004, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mps9506
Purplehaze,
You want to make sure to get that stuff out on a weekly basis at least while cooking your rock. When you leave it in the tub, it just sits and releases the phosphates right back into the water column. You want to physically remove all the detrius and stuff along with it, so it isn't realsed back into the water column. This way you are removing an easy source of food for the bacteria, and making them clean that rock up.
Mike
Yea, you are right...I've cleaned the tub and the rock is now in it's new tank, let's see what happens.
Old 11/30/2004, 07:38 AM
Registered Member

Purplehaze,
Just noticed you are a biologist, surf and breed ornamentals...
Where are you from? We have a few people like that around here at the university... I only enjoy the surfing and biology part.
Mike
Old 11/30/2004, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

mps9506, YGPM
Old 11/30/2004, 06:50 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Not from Wilmington are you?
Old 11/30/2004, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeanT
Not from Wilmington are you?
No, I live in Brasil!
Old 12/04/2004, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

Question

I am new to this all...
( So forgive me if I suggest something stupid )
But in a bit unrelated topic.
I Have an crazy idea, and I would like to have your opinion on it please.

Would you say taking live rock, cleaning the surface entirely of anything living, Rinse them, Place them in a bucket full of salt water in complete darkness with Powerful Skimmers running 24/7 for lets say 2 months would do a good job at cleaning them before adding them to your tank?

Please don't bite me It's just a freak Question, Not planning to do it at all. Just queries.
Old 12/04/2004, 06:41 PM
Refurbished Reefer.

Hey Falko,
That is pretty much "cooking" the rock.
All you need to add to that is waterchanges.