Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Advanced Topics
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/28/2005, 11:03 AM
Moved On

I have plenty of aptaisa, so I think I am going to do this, too.
I have a mantis shrimp I haven't been able to get out for a year now, will this in any way help me root him out?
Old 11/30/2005, 01:04 AM
Refurbished Reefer.

Sure will.
He will die of starvation in the process.
Or, once the rock is out of your tank you should easily be able to find the rock he is in and take care of him any way you wish.
Such as a trade at the LFS or to someone here on RC.

Sean
Old 09/14/2007, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Recently I emptied my tank of LR and placed it in a 32 gal rubbermaid with NSW and blacked it out.

IT has been a week now and I am ready to place some of it back into the main tank. I dunked some in a can with RO water and scrubbed then in the main it went.

Before doing this I had a side tank 30 gal ditto on placing some rock in it. After 2 weeks the rock had no algae on it at all and was rough to the touch.

I feel that by placing the LR in a little at a time and keeping the lights off I can achieve the same results as the main cooker.

I plan on keeping the main tank 90gal. corner overflow (niagra style) as dark as possible. mag 1800 pump Loc. is in basement - a built in wall deal with work area behind. Reason was algae on LR. I plan on introducing my skimmer after a couple of weeks.
Old 09/14/2007, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Recently I emptied my tank of LR and placed it in a 32 gal rubbermaid with NSW and blacked it out.

IT has been a week now and I am ready to place some of it back into the main tank. I dunked some in a can with RO water and scrubbed then in the main it went.

Before doing this I had a side tank 30 gal ditto on placing some rock in it. After 2 weeks the rock had no algae on it at all and was rough to the touch.

I feel that by placing the LR in a little at a time and keeping the lights off I can achieve the same results as the main cooker.

I plan on keeping the main tank 90gal. corner overflow (niagra style) as dark as possible. mag 1800 pump Loc. is in basement - a built in wall deal with work area behind. Reason was algae on LR. I plan on introducing my skimmer after a couple of weeks
Old 09/14/2007, 08:09 PM
DSB are gooood, mmkay?

Wow was that a long post resurrection. LOL.

I took part in this discussion and I still have most of the rocks I cooked. But now I am not a fan of cooking. Good luck to all who continue to cook.
1 Coral Beauty
3 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Candy Hogfish
Old 09/15/2007, 08:13 AM
Registered Member

Well you can't just leave it open like that.

What is your reasoning behind it? Did you suffer some ill fate, or you just decided that nah its dumb?

Click The Red House To see My Build Thread!!!
Old 09/15/2007, 11:04 AM
DSB are gooood, mmkay?

My reason is I used a 55 gallon rubbermaid container and because I had so much LR and water it bowed and cracked and spilt all over my rug. I lost alot of interesting corals that were kind of growing out of the rockwork.

In other words. I lost more than I gained. When I was done the rocks looked white, ugly, and dead. Before than they were full of color and critters. So summing up , I don't mind a little nuisance stuff here and there and am a fan of keeping all the crazy stuff on the rocks.
1 Coral Beauty
3 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Candy Hogfish
Old 09/15/2007, 09:21 PM
Registered Member

Already 90 gal. has positive results with 1/4 LR nice and stark-porous..
Old 09/16/2007, 03:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Teremei
My reason is I used a 55 gallon rubbermaid container and because I had so much LR and water it bowed and cracked and spilt all over my rug. I lost alot of interesting corals that were kind of growing out of the rockwork.

In other words. I lost more than I gained. When I was done the rocks looked white, ugly, and dead. Before than they were full of color and critters. So summing up , I don't mind a little nuisance stuff here and there and am a fan of keeping all the crazy stuff on the rocks.
oh I see.

I was just wondering if the process it self didn't work for you. Its more of an asethic thing for you. NOt that cooking the rock itself didn't accomplish the overall goal. Did your coraline not come back?

Old 09/16/2007, 06:50 PM
DSB are gooood, mmkay?

coraline came back fine because I bought 2 expensive showpeice rocks. The cooked rocks are looking better some still look dead.
1 Coral Beauty
3 Wrasse
2 Clowns
2 Gobies
1 Yellowtail Damsel
1 Candy Hogfish
Old 09/25/2007, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

Sorry if this has been asked already but how long do you need to wait if any before being able to add fish after cooking the liverock?
I just got my rock back in the tank after 2 months and would like to add fish ASAP.
thanks
Old 09/25/2007, 08:17 AM
Registered Member

well if it was done correctly you shouldn't have a cycle, better yet if you do it should be a very small one.

however, with that said. test your water and see.

I would wait at least a week just to be safe, but if you did it right you shouldn't have killed the bacteria, just the algae.

Some can chime in and tell you the science behind it.

Old 09/25/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

thanks hurleycr, that's what i figured.