Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby

Old 01/06/2008, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

top up systems

Hi Guys

I'm just planning my first reef after years of planted tanks and one thing I'm planning on doing is adding a top up system

The main tank is quite small 24"x12"x15" and will have a sump the same size. I'm planning on running a 150W MH light with a loose glass covered top (3 cats) although I may swap to 4x 24W T5 if this is likely to get too hot.

I'd like know what size resevoir you guys recomend for the RO top up unit? I'd like to be able to leave it for at least one week before refilling. I have no idea how much evaporation I'm likely to get. I'm in the UK if it makes a difference

Cheers

Seb
Old 01/06/2008, 05:17 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

With a covered top, you probably won't get a whole lot of evaporation. Instead of glass, you might want to use a plastic mesh screen or "egg crate" light diffuser instead. It'll also keep your cats out, and will allow gas exchange and evaporation to take place.

My tank is a similar size, although I don't have a sump. I'm using a Tunze Osmolator as my top off unit, and my reservoir is 8 gallons in size. I have to fill it once every two weeks. You'll get more evap in the drier months of the year. For me, that's during the winter.

I'm also running a 150w HQI light.

Also,

[welcome]

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 01/06/2008, 05:28 PM
Premium Member

I am using a 5g bucket as my reservoir with the JBJ auto top-off. Works great. I add about 2 gallons to the bucket weekly. i don't fill it all the way either, to nervous....
Old 01/07/2008, 05:25 AM
Registered Member

Thanks guys, I can finish designing my sump and cabinet.

Plenty more questions to come yet I'm sure....

Seb
Old 01/07/2008, 05:34 AM
Registered Member

You dont really want to cover it in glass. Alot leave open and if you get alot of jumoer fish then a crate like setup for lots of air and temp exchange.

I have a 75 gallon with about 90lbs of LR and a 29 gallon refug.and lose about 5 to 7 gallons a week. Hope this helps. GL.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:14 AM
Registered Member

I use an old 5g aquarium with a Tsunami switch to regulate the top off. It keeps it pretty simply. Refill the top off reservoir 2x/wk and I am good to go. I agree, avoid the glass top. I tried that and it did not work very well.

John Martin
Old 01/07/2008, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Okay, no glass cover then!

My wife wants the shimmer effect that I've only seen with MH, could I use 4x T5's or should I use 1x 150W MH. I don't want to keep anything but easy soft stuff and a couple of clowns.

Seb
Old 01/07/2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

Probably do not need the MH with the softies. Not sure what the gallon count is on your tank, but t5's are probably enough.

John Martin