Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 12:11 AM
Registered Member

Looking to start my first saltwater tank, i have questions

To start off I am looking to convert my tall corner hex, about 40 gal, to a saltwater system, i have done my reading but i still have questions....
I ideally would like to stock it with a few fish, some soft corals and polyps (with hopes of expanding to other types), an anemone, and the cleanup crew of inverts. with this idea in mind comes the questions....

Filtration, i wanted to use live rock and sand, plus a HOB protien skimmer, is this enough?

Lighting, apparently a sore topic amongst boards with very few conclusions, I believe i want to use T5 HO bulbs, in a 4 bulb arrangement, 2x 10K and 2 460nm actinic, i am trying to avoid MH, i think they are overkill. however this being said, i am looking at 3 different fixtures and was wondering peoples overall thoughts on them, the first being the cheaper Nova Extreme, the second being a Tek system, and the third being me sucking it up and getting an Outer orbit.

Stocking: technically what defines a "few" fish in a tank my size? i would like to have a pair of clowns, fire fish, longnose hawkfish, and kaudern's cardinal x2, and chromis x2. however i feel like this has to be cut, opinions?

Anemone: i woudl like to have a green bulb tip, how challenging is it to keep?

well this is all i can think of for now, if i have more i'll be sure to ask, i know i'm not looking for a flawless production, i'm just trying to avoid the major disasters and extra expenses down the road..
Old 12/29/2007, 01:18 PM
Registered Member

Live rock, live sand and aprotein skimmer are the best filtration method IMO. Don't go cheap on the protein skimmer. I would suggest using a sump so you don't have to get a HOB skimmer but thats just my opinion.

T5 HO should work for your tank but get ones with individual reflectors.

Wait to get an anemone until your tank is mature (I've read 9-12 months)

Good luck with your tank
Old 12/29/2007, 01:39 PM
Team RC Member

Best not to have an anemone in a coral tank: too much chance of ambulatory warfare. I've done it. I don't recommend it. Your clowns would go for one of the quieter toadstools or the like with no trouble.
Your plans are generally good.
I would suggest percula or pink skunk clowns: they stay smaller and are more peaceful.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/29/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

thanks for the heads up on the anemone, it will probably end up getting scratched off the list there.

with the sump idea, i had though about putting my small 10 gal under there however the cabinet has very little space (its cramped with my canister filter and power strip) so i will have to see about that

for skimmers, i was looking at a tunze or a bak pak, they seemed to be the only liked brands for small tanks. are there any suggestions for smaller in sump brands?
Old 12/29/2007, 06:22 PM
Registered Member

A lot of people are going to disagree, but I use an Aqua C Remora Pro hang-on skimmer.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

are there advantages/disadvantages for using LR from different areas?
or is it strictly aesthetics?

for a beginner is is better to use a DSB or just the 1in to cover the bottom of the tank?

with live sand, buy enough for the entire tank? or but about half as much then get the rest as non living?
Old 12/30/2007, 01:53 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JUNI0R
Live rock, live sand and aprotein skimmer are the best filtration method IMO. Don't go cheap on the protein skimmer. I would suggest using a sump so you don't have to get a HOB skimmer but thats just my opinion.

T5 HO should work for your tank but get ones with individual reflectors.

Wait to get an anemone until your tank is mature (I've read 9-12 months)

Good luck with your tank
This saves me a long reply; Exactly what i was going to type.
Old 12/30/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

DSB is easy and well worth it. The problem is it can get dirty quickly.

Rock is rock, dead or alive, good or bad looking.....its all the same.

Same goes for sand....

One way or another its going to be alive, go ahead and buy some cheap HD sand and save your money.

Checkout my pictures for the sand. There have been many threads on here that have used this perfectly.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:35 AM
Registered Member

does LS need to be cured?

if im going to cure the rock in my tank can i add the sand in at the same time? so the tank has rock sand and saltwater. then im just checking all my lvls