Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 05:16 PM
Registered Member

dead fish i cant get to what do i do

my first dead fish and i dont know why well anyways i was trying to get it out and it went behind the rocks and now a crab has ahold of it what do i do to i get it out behind the rocks away from the crab or should i just let it in their for the crabs to eat. and if so will i get some ammonia or nitrate spikes ? what do i do? its a clownfish this sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

what size cleanup crew do you have? if it is decent size I wouldn't worry about it. if you don't have much for a CUC then I would try to get it out.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:20 PM
Registered Member

yeah its swarmed right now with a bunch of red legged hermits and a fiddler crab looking thing is eating on it too i have a 55 gallon tank with 25 red leg hermits 2 other crabs that just came on the rock and some snails but i dont think they eat fish do they
Old 12/20/2007, 05:21 PM
Team RC Member

If you have crabs, snails, and bristleworms and your tank is a few months old it's not a problem. In a 55, it will just disappear without a blip. They NEVER demise where you can reach them in a reef.
Sorry about the fish.

....whoa! Fiddler crab looking thing?!!!
Bait a wine carafe trap and get out ANYTHING crabby that's not a hermit or a green mithrax crab. They can go in your sump, but not in your main tank. The fiddler-crab-looking-thing may not have waited for your clown to demise: he may have hunted it down. WOrms are 99.9 percent good guys as hitchhikers: crabs are almost 99.9 percent predator bad guys.

They likely will not respond to bait after this feed. But after your tank is back to normal [hoping they don't get another fish] starve your tank for a few days, and at night, put some raw cocktail shrimp [one] in a wine carafe braced against the rocks. Crabs don't climb glass well. If you can trap them wtih that, to the sump with them.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/20/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

tank is lil more than 4 months
Old 12/20/2007, 05:24 PM
Registered Member

you'll be fine. the CUC will take care of the fish for ya.

and also sorry to hear about your loss.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

get that crab outa there!
Old 12/20/2007, 07:22 PM
Premium Member

I rearranged my rock work and found one of those things along with over $100 in snail shells. Lucky I did that or I would never had found him. NOw he lives in my refug.
Old 12/20/2007, 07:30 PM
Team RC Member

Note my revised post above. All crabs out that you didn't buy.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.