Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Selling, Trading and Transaction Feedback Forums > Vendor Experiences
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/25/2007, 04:41 AM
Got Nog?

Premiumaquatics big thumbs down! (Bubble King Mini 200)

After spending a small fortune from PA on lots of things from this year I will never purchase another thing from PA again after the experience I have gone through. After returning a defective bubble King mini 200, apparently Jeremy is out to make me a liar. Claiming the skimmer I returned is working just fine which is total bunk. After reporting the problems I was having with the pump (read below) I was told the pump would be tagged and checked. A $780 replacement pump making a terrible knocking noise and vibration should be replaced without question!! Jeremy didn't even seem to concerned about the plastic leftover shavings on the pinwheel which could have possibly destroyed my pump. Immediately I should have had a replacement pinwheel and pump being "tagged" to check it out.

I ordered a Bubble king mini 200 from premiumaquatics back in early september. The skimmer from the start never skimmed. When I heard a large knocking noise comming from the skimmer I soon discovered after disassebling the skimmer the pinwheel on the skimmer had left over material on the needlewheel pins. This was a shocking discovery since Klaus Jansen from Royal exclusiv who makes the bubble kings is known for there high quality. After picking off the shavings of the plastic off of my pinwheel I found a shaving in the pump hole were the pinwheel is seated. This most likely not a good thing especially when the pump replacement is $780.00. When I took apart my bubble king mini I also discovered the white injection plate had scuff marks all over the bottom. This is unexceptable after paying $1118 for a top quality skimmer. The injection plate should have been made of clear material like the smaller models so you can line up the injection plate with the output of the pump.

I did everything I can to get this thing to skim. It was recommended this skimmer to be placed in the sump at 7.5 to 9.5 inches which I did. The water level also had to be at the black line which strictly says on the label and instructions! This skimmer absolutely did nothing. The only way I did get it to skim a little was to raise the water level in the skimmer wayyyyyyyy above the black line which the water was leaking out of the collection cup which is not the right way to run the skimmer. Let me say I do have a real heavy bioload in 105 total gallons of water. I have a large amount of soft corals, High end fairy wrasses, and a couple of rare butterflies. These fish require to be fed heavly at least three times a day. The Mini bubble king did not skim nothing out. The foam column which was less than impressive never made it to the top of the collection cup. My tank suffered and I lost two high end fairy wrasses, a supermale lineatus and a supermale Rhomboid fairy wrasses. A total lost of $650 because this skimmer did not do its job.

Whats even more sad is the fact that Klaus Jansen from bubble king who does post here on RC especially in the bubble king thread in the premiumaquatics forum did not help one bit. Never posted any trouble shooting

Whats sad is that I been waiting for two years for these skimmers to come to the US. There are at least two people I have talked to over the phone who own the BK mini 200 are having the same problems as me but not making a knocking noise. The smaller models seem to be uneffected. There are two others in the zeo forum having problems without getting any skimate from there mini's.

Its really disheartening being treated like this after spending alot of money at PA. I will never order nothing again from PA. Never!!!

Here is the thread
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1168748
Old 09/25/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Wow, sounds like a nightmare experience but at least you got your money back right?

Also, so sorry you lost your rhomboid and lineatus
I personally don't think you need to feed them as much as you think. I like to feed my wrasses as well but some days they only get one feeding a night.
Old 09/25/2007, 09:33 AM
~Addict~

I am not going to entertain an arguement in public here, but I am keeping the thread updated as to what is going on with the skimmer just as I said I would. If anyone would like to read through that, they are more than welcome to. So far, the skimmer has been hooked up for 24hrs, with absolutely no issues to speak of, and it's pulling skimmate like a champ. I will have pictures posted of the skimmer performing flawlessly with no issues today.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...4#post10837904

BTW, I now have fully refunded you for a used skimmer that is 110% working properly. I have had multiple customers in the warehouse between yesterday afternoon and this morning that have also seen the skimmer working flawlessly that have been staying up on the thread that you are flaming away on.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 09/25/2007, 09:51 AM
Microreefologist

You won't get much love from this site badmouthing PA. Jeremy is one of the greatest guys I know in the business! He goes out of his way every time to please the customer. You received a full refund on a used skimmer, quit complaining.

Anyways, why is someone with the name DeltecRules buying a Bubble King?

Genesis 1:21
Old 09/25/2007, 10:05 AM
Registered Member.

TWO WORDS< USER ERROR!!
Old 09/25/2007, 11:32 AM
~Addict~

If anyone doesn't want to link to the thread and read through, here are pictures of the skimmer after I tested here for 20 hours. The skimmer is working flawlessly, and no issues have been found with the unit.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/bubbleking/BK.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/bubbleking/BK1.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/bubbleking/BK2.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/bubbleking/BK3.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/bubbleking/BK4.jpg

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/bubbleking/BK5.jpg
Old 09/25/2007, 11:58 AM
Premium Member

Sounds to me like Jeremy did everything he could to try to make DeltecRules happy. I think it is unreasonable that anyone should expect a brand new pump sent out without having to return the one they have. That could easily end up costing the retailer a brand new pump in the long run if the customer doesn't return the original. I have had several pumps fixed over the years (one was the Red Dragon on my BK) and every time I had to send the pump back to the retailer or manufacturer to be serviced. I did not expect them to send me a brand new pump in return.

I think the same can be said about the shavings. That is a normal part of manufacturing and you can't expect a manufacturer to take apart ever piece of the product to make sure there is not a single tiny shaving left over. A couple small plastic shavings aren't going to hurt anything. We all have them in our tanks after plumbing with PVC, right?

I think Jeremy did a standup job handling this situation. I have had nothing but great experiences with PA and will continue to place orders with them.
Old 09/25/2007, 12:30 PM
Microreefologist

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10839308#post10839308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Jeremy B.
If anyone doesn't want to link to the thread and read through, here are pictures of the skimmer after I tested here for 20 hours. The skimmer is working flawlessly, and no issues have been found with the unit.
I never doubted you for a minute, Jeremy. Nice and foamy! So...... half off since it's used?

Old 09/25/2007, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Looks like from everything I have read on both threads in refrence to the skimmer, Jeremy and PA have given great customer service to DeltecRules. Even refunding him full price on the skimmer. I don't see why the negative post, I would just call it that the skimmer didn't work out for him and Jeremy took care of it. I think the issue needs to be closed. PA has always been there for me when I needed them. Jeremy thank you for following up on this and letting everyone know the outcome.
Old 09/25/2007, 05:22 PM
Premium Member

I was at Premium Aquatics today and saw the skimmer in question, it was working great. He had a RC750 on that system but it was turned off and the Bubble King was rockin away. After talking to Jeremy this skimmer is for sale at a huge reduced price. I would get it but it would be too small for my system.

Thats too funny, why would you expect a guy that has a name of DeltecRules buy a BubbleKing anyway?
Old 09/25/2007, 06:00 PM
Microreefologist

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10841665#post10841665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bstone
it would be too small for my system.
That's a bit of an understatement, Mr. 700 gallons!

Old 09/25/2007, 06:03 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10841943#post10841943 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eckrynock
That's a bit of an understatement, Mr. 700 gallons!
System volume is 1100 gallons, but hey how I'm not counting.........
Old 09/25/2007, 07:35 PM
Premium Member

eckrynock

Where you from in Indianapolis?
Old 09/26/2007, 01:08 PM
sweeeet!!

Quote:
by Travis
...I think it is unreasonable that anyone should expect a brand new pump sent out without having to return the one they have....
I agree, but it happened to me. The BM160 I received from a non-sponsor (but with excellent customer service) that was broken for whatever reason. I contacted the him (while he was on vacation unbeknownst to me) and he shipped a new model (upgraded to the BM200) to me before FedEx picked up my broken model. Wow!!

I have always had excellent customer service with PA. Just wished I lived closer now, as it was a nice place to visit when I lived in Fort Wayne, IN.

Let it snow, I have a hobby to pay for!!!
Old 09/26/2007, 02:19 PM
SpEd Man

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10841665#post10841665 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bstone
Thats too funny, why would you expect a guy that has a name of DeltecRules buy a BubbleKing anyway?
I believe it used to be RemoraRules. BTW I've never had anything but the best of service from PA!
Old 09/26/2007, 02:52 PM
Moved On

Originally posted by bstone

Originally posted by crab0000
I believe it used to be RemoraRules. BTW I've never had anything but the best of service from PA!

I guess there won't be a BubbleKingRules J/K I'm was interested in the mini-BKs as well, but 2 negative posts tells me to just wait until everything washes out first.
Old 09/26/2007, 02:56 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10848091#post10848091 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CruzinKim
Originally posted by bstone

Originally posted by crab0000

I guess there won't be a BubbleKingRules J/K I'm was interested in the mini-BKs as well, but 2 negative posts tells me to just wait until everything washes out first.
You can find atleast a few negative posts on every type of skimmer out there. Most of the time (in my opinion) it is operator error. I really like the BubbleKings, I have seen them run at Premium Aquatics everytime I am there. And I am there a lot!! Really good skimmers.
Old 09/26/2007, 04:26 PM
Moved On

I know that BK skimmers are one the best and most expensive skimmers out there, but they work. With every brand new model, there are bugs and now I'm wondering if there might be something that was overlooked. Maybe the pump hasn't been tested thoroughly enough in the 60Hz USA current. I hate to spend almost $1,000 and be a tester for a new model. Also, cannot trust the laurels of the reputation of a good company as they can make mistakes too or produce a dud.
Old 09/26/2007, 05:12 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10848833#post10848833 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CruzinKim
I know that BK skimmers are one the best and most expensive skimmers out there, but they work. With every brand new model, there are bugs and now I'm wondering if there might be something that was overlooked. Maybe the pump hasn't been tested thoroughly enough in the 60Hz USA current. I hate to spend almost $1,000 and be a tester for a new model. Also, cannot trust the laurels of the reputation of a good company as they can make mistakes too or produce a dud.
Jeremy at PA has the BK skimmer that is in question up and running in one of there systems. It seems to be working great. It was full of dark skim when I was there. But, if there was an actual "defect" with the pumps then ALL the pumps would be experiencing the same issue. As of now, there just seems to be a very few isolated cases, and this one ( on this thread) to me seems to be working perffectly, so is it operator error? Do not know.
Old 09/26/2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

I quit using Premium Aquatics a couple of years ago for an issue I had with them (which I am not going to get into).... I found it hard to stay away completely but I do try other vendors first to see if they have what I am looking for and use PA as a last resort.
Old 09/26/2007, 08:09 PM
Indiana Jones Of SPS

They are my first call for any equiptment for my reef!
Jeremy is 100% a class act! He protects his customers and goes above and beyond to make them happy and to even EXTEND a warranty to help the customer.
AAAAAAAAA++++++++++++

DVRC Vice President
Old 09/26/2007, 09:55 PM
See if you can pingaso it

I'm sending some bad Karma over to DeltecRules.. You should have gave them a chance to make it right ( which they were ) before you publicly bashed them.

Good it got sent back though, since now the mods don't have to go in and change his name to BubbleKingRules now
Old 09/27/2007, 05:41 AM
Premium Member

Got to support the PA guys.... I have ordered multiple M-tanks, all kinds of equipment and dealt with them in on the phone. In my experience, they are honest and forthright.

Rich C
NJ
Old 09/27/2007, 07:37 AM
Premium Member

I gotta support the Premium guys 100% also. I don't see that they did anything wrong. I also don't see how Jeremy was trying to make you look like a liar as you stated. Which is pretty strong accusations. All he did is what anyone would have done, including myself, when a customer returns an item they have an issue with. Turn it on and see what the issue is.

Blaming the death of two fairy wrasses on the skimmer is totally unjustified.
Old 09/27/2007, 08:56 AM
Reefaholic

I've also got to support PA on this one. I have done ALOT of business with them over the years, have nothing but good things to say about them. This issue would have been better handled by simply contacting PA, over the phone, rather than dragging it all over the PA forum.

Quote:
Blaming the death of two fairy wrasses on the skimmer is totally unjustified.
I agree with this 100%.