Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/24/2007, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

I understand I was at the last one, and for how crowded it was it was handled very well, but I have been working on and off in a LFS and I have noticed a large influx to the hobby, I am sure it is 100 times as much down there. I could see the next swap being way too big.

I have been to ASAP on a few occasions and I know the dry goods area is not really in use anymore, has that changed? if not maybe they would be willing to let us move all those gondola style shelveing units and use that larger area?
Just an idea.

But if nothing else this news makes me a little sad, but I have a lot of faith in the couple BOD members of BAR that I have met, and I am sure they won't let us down on a future swap. Hopefully the rest of us can be included soon.
I myself have never found an interest in joining BAR due to the fact that I am 3.5 hours away and would never be able to benifeit the club, or visa versa.
Good luck with the swaps, hopefully Mars won't follow that fad and will continue to leave thiers open to other clubs, guess we will see after Oct.6....
Old 09/24/2007, 05:52 PM
Registered Member

No problem Twisted, Actually I remember meeting you at the swap. I was the guy ( 6ft tall asian guy if that helps and I am on the BOD) running the Raffle area and selling the Frag tank tickets.

Just an FYI - we have not said we wouldn't do another open swap again next year. So far we just said the one in Feb will be a members only swap again. While I was not at the there, but the last one in Aug had 50 -60 people so its a nice number. Just trying to get a feeling on how members our feel about this swap format.

While we are not trying to shut out the other clubs out there, we want to try things within our club to see how they go. Redding is pretty far, I go through when I go to shasta or lassen. Do you have swaps out there....you could always invite us. Or spend the $20 to join and support our club a little and come to all the meetings and swaps you like. : )

I would like check out the next MARS swap as well. The one on the 6th is not a MARS official swap, just an open regional swap I believe. I'll be there with some of our members to support Pam, Karl, and the others helping them.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 09/24/2007, 06:10 PM
Premium Member

Cool, I will see you at the Dixon swap then. I do remember you working the raffle, you were my friend, I got like 4 items out of the raffle at that swap.
And I didn't get to talk to Norman very much at the last couple swaps I have been too, but in the Brief time I got to talk to him, and the post I have read of his on RC, I have a lot of respect for him, and Rich...well he is just Rich, which is a good thing, so don't take it personally.
I will consider joining BAR in the futur for nothing else to do some support for the great things they have done, and will do, but by no means will it be just to get into a swap meet, even if I still could.
I am also going to join Mars in the near future even though going to thier meetings is highly unlikely.

We have discussed holding a frag swap up here in REdding, but not sure a date has been set, I will talk to the person wanting to do it and see, but I don't expect anything great, especially since nobody up here has experience in setting up a frag swap or running one.
But when it is comming I will post in all the near by club forums, hopefully we will get some people to make the trip.
Old 09/24/2007, 07:26 PM
PKSN

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
I personally want to thank Jimsar for being the treasure for so long and for doing such a fine job

This club is 1000% volunteer. With out people like Jim, this club would not exist. Very few step up to the plate, but many reap the fruits of their labor!
Its also important to point out that the people stepping up to the plate often recycle, switching to different BOD positions in order to recharge. Heck, Jim went to Tonga to get away from the club and look how that turned out! It would be super awesome if people who haven't already been part of the BOD would become part of the BOD, so if you have the time, please help out.
Old 09/25/2007, 11:08 AM
Premium Member

But I would be one of those recycled ones Rich
Old 09/26/2007, 08:28 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
But I would be one of those recycled ones Rich
Gresham that means you're good for the environment!!!
Old 11/21/2007, 09:15 PM
Tailspot Blenny

you guys are so greeen! =)
Old 12/08/2007, 02:55 AM
Registered Member

What does being part of the BOD mean (work-wise), and how does one do it?
Old 12/08/2007, 03:27 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

A lot of the BOD work involves discussion, planning, and problem solving relating to club directions and activities, as well as the implementation of the logistics to make it all happen.

Here are a couple urls to the agendas for the last two BOD meetings.

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/...p?topic=2379.0

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/...p?topic=2556.0

The in person BOD meetings themselves are a small part of the work. A lot of the issues leading up to the agenda items are topics of ongoing daily BOD discussion.

In my case, I have 3098 posts on the BAR(not the RC one) forum. 1368 of the posts are club related work. Similar for the other BOD members as well.
Old 12/08/2007, 03:37 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

We've established a few subcommittees for club service, and plan to add more as needs arise.

Typically the subcommittees will be chaired by a BOD member. Any club member may volunteer to serve on a committee.

Current committees are:

DBTC
Membership
Frag Swap
Meeting Planning
Old 12/20/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

Hmmm, I just decided to attend the Feb Swap so have just looked at the prerequisites...

I'm currently a paid member (figures it expires 2/2/08) but haven't attended a meeting this year. Is there one happening between now and Feb?

Thanks,

Art
Old 12/20/2007, 04:03 PM
Tailspot Blenny

I think you can attend the January BOD meeting which will count.
Old 12/21/2007, 12:21 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kinetic
I think you can attend the January BOD meeting which will count.
I wasn't planning on attending the frag swap but given the fact that my tank mystery was finally solved and SPS corals are now recovering, I'd love to go.

Can you tell me more about the BOD meeting? Like will I be bored or enlightened?

BTW, on bareefers.com, the link to the location of that meeting is either broken or "temporarily unavailable" when I've tried to access it.

http://www.bareefers.com/public/ASAP%20Directions.aspx
Old 12/21/2007, 12:38 PM
Premium Member

Club business like this should be posted on our own forum. The webmaster hardly ever comes here and this should be directed at him (broken link)

Can't say for certain what bores or excites you, so I'm not sure how to answer that. It's not a place where you learn to keep reefs or anything, it's all about the nuts and bolts of the club.

Google Aquatic Specialties and Pets in hayward. That is where all the meetings take place
Old 12/22/2007, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

Quote:

Can't say for certain what bores or excites you, so I'm not sure how to answer that. It's not a place where you learn to keep reefs or anything, it's all about the nuts and bolts of the club.

Google Aquatic Specialties and Pets in hayward. That is where all the meetings take place [/B]
So the same place that the last frag swaps have taken place?
If I can make it and stay awake maybe I'll get more involved!

-Adrian
Old 12/23/2007, 11:44 AM
Premium Member

same place
Old 12/25/2007, 02:38 AM
Premium Member

Stubbz,

The link you posted is not (no longer?) correct. The correct link is:

http://www.bareefers.org/ASAP%20Directions.aspx

C
Old 12/26/2007, 01:56 PM
Registered Member

Cool. I tried to leave a message to have them correct the link. I see it isn't not no longer not incorrect
Old 01/04/2008, 01:28 AM
Premium Member

ok, I have been gone for sometime... I will be having few frags of my own, I did attend the 08/07 swap, but I have not been in any other, I can attend the 02/08?
Old 01/04/2008, 01:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jmc74
ok, I have been gone for sometime... I will be having few frags of my own, I did attend the 08/07 swap, but I have not been in any other, I can attend the 02/08?
Quote:
Originally posted by bookfish
New BAR frag swap eligibilty requirements!
In order to exchange coral in the upcoming, February '08 BAR swap, you must:

Be a BAR member in good standing as of 09/12/07 and at the time of the next swap

Attend 1 BAR General or BOD meeting between now and the February '08 BAR swap.

There will also be the usual requirement of at least 2 different propagated coral frags per participating member.

Thank You. -BAR Board of Directors

There is a BOD meeting on Jan 12th.
Old 01/04/2008, 01:59 AM
Premium Member

thanks Elite, but where do they have the BOD mettings? I neve been to one...
Old 01/04/2008, 02:02 AM
Registered Member

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1280643
Old 01/04/2008, 02:05 AM
Premium Member

thanks

I'll see ya all there