Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/17/2007, 11:54 PM
Fragaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by GreshamH
I personally want to thank Jimsar for being the treasure for so long and for doing such a fine job

This club is 1000% volunteer. With out people like Jim, this club would not exist. Very few step up to the plate, but many reap the fruits of their labor!
Jimsar definitely is a treasure (yeah, i know you meant Treasurer, but we accounting types have to grab any available glory whenever it's offered)!
Poor unsung accountants.
Seriously though, I'm incredibly grateful to have the "other Jim" as BARs accountant. And he's building an electric Porsche 914 and is a huge solar power advocate! How cool is that?
Getting to know my fellow BOD members has been a very rewarding part of being in the club for me. I suggest that anyone looking for a very involved relationship with BAR and its members would find the BOD experience very rewarding... As i have.-Jim
Old 09/18/2007, 01:06 AM
Fragaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Guys, I am sure I speak for many folks here in thanking you for your long hours and work you put in on this club. I, in no way, meant to insult anyone in this thread...it feels as if I may have so my apologies for that. If I didn't live an hour+ away I would be most happy to help out...it isn't feasable for me to do so when I live so far away.

I was sincerely surprised to see the sticky regarding the new criteria and the deadline for the Feb '08 swap, I am sure I was not the only surprised person. You all are the ones taking the time to think these things out, again, Thank you. I hardly think it came as a surprise that some people might be put off by the suddeness of this. No biggie, it's all good. Keep on keepin on .
Thanks for that, but no apology necessary.
We did realize that these 2 changes can easily be perceived as unfair, particularly to people new to the club, the hobby or both. I hope people will read this explanation (I know! it's a million words!!)and gain some insight about this particular set of decisions. I think it's hard to understand decisions without context, so I'll let you in on some of the general BOD thought that went into this.

Live coral, whether wild or captivated, is a very precious form of life on this planet (we're all reefers right, this part is obvious). Maintaining live coral in captivity is extremely energy intensive. even if you never get a single piece of wild coral, your carbon footprint is larger as a hobbyist. There is a responsibility, as an individual, to try and do your best for the animal. The individuals on the BOD have this responsibility, a responsibility to The Mission Statement (read it sometime, it took forever to write!), to the current members, potential members, sponsors etc...
So, in light of the multiple responsibilities, is the swap doing its thing as "right" as possible. If "right' means getting the most frags out to the most people then yes, the old regional swaps were perfect events. But I, and I believe the entire BOD, believe that this is only the beginning of what we're calling "responsible propagation", or "coral parenting" which is much closer to really getting it right! For example, tracking the BAR purchased corals this year is just the beginning of a more "responsible" slant to the club activities. Yes, people will have to be in the community for a while now before they can pick in the "general" swap, but not all BAR corals are distributed through the swaps and many of the best are given freely in our fabulous Don't Break The Chain Program.
http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/...php?board=17.0
I must say that I've never, ever heard someone who joined BAR say anything negative about our Community's generosity.

Thanks for your post, it helped me pull some thoughts together on this.-Jim

Old 09/18/2007, 01:07 AM
Fragaholic

And yes, that's just what a BAR BOD meeting can be like!
Old 09/18/2007, 01:34 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

All that, *plus* exotic dancers of your preferred gender
Old 09/18/2007, 01:36 AM
Fragaholic

And a fully stocked open bar (with all the soda you can drink!)
Old 09/18/2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Guys, I am sure I speak for many folks here in thanking you for your long hours and work you put in on this club. I, in no way, meant to insult anyone in this thread...it feels as if I may have so my apologies for that. If I didn't live an hour+ away I would be most happy to help out...it isn't feasable for me to do so when I live so far away.
Hi Alicia,

Thanks for the kind and supportive comments. No apologies necessary.

As far as helping out, even reading and posting on our forums, and speaking up to help others understand what BAR is about would count
Old 09/18/2007, 01:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bookfish
And a fully stocked open bar (with all the soda you can drink!)
The real reason why we're called BAR

Next you'll be teaching everybody the secret handshake
Old 09/18/2007, 01:49 AM
Fragaholic

Old 09/18/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

I gotta give my hats (er helmet) for the great work they've done also. Not everyones been with this club for as long as some of these guys have but the club has come a VERY long way and it took a lot of work. I have to admit I haven't done as much as I could but I do enjoy and appreciate the work that went into it. And a whole year without any political fall out! Amazing! The team seems to be firing on all pistons now!
Old 09/18/2007, 02:55 PM

Wow... too kind, Andy
Old 09/18/2007, 11:39 PM
Fragaholic

In case anyone doesn't know, Andy was our first VP!
ps.Hi to Stacey.-Jim
Old 09/21/2007, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Okay, Ive read this now and am totally lost. So you stated the you must be up to date with membership due's and also attend a meeting (Which I am very interested in Oct.'s meeting) you can not be part of the annual frag swap in Feb. 08?

I think it's fair to say if you're not a member maybe a month's in advance and have nothing to bring to the swap, but 4+ month's out seems to be a little to far out. My belief's of our group is to promote friends and families to join our group, but now they can't join in a BAR frag swap until 09, why would they want to join us now instead of waiting until this time next year to join our group. Other group's on RC invite people that ae paart of any group to attend their swap's.

Not trying to stur anything, I love BAR and all the people part of this group, I have learned so many things from everyone and will continue to be a memeber again even if I can't join in the swapping as I missed the date, but just had to put my two cents in.
Old 09/21/2007, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

You can attend the swap for raffles and other items, but actually participating in the swap you would be ineligible. This is actually the 2nd swap we have had with this format ( without the must attend 1 meeting). The one in August was just like this as well. Come in the Feb too and let us know what you think.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 09/21/2007, 06:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Apon
You can attend the swap for raffles and other items, but actually participating in the swap you would be inelible. This is actually the 2nd swap we have had with this format ( without the must attend 1 meeting). The one in August was just like this as well. Come in the Feb too and let us know what you think.
Thanks Apon. As a returning member, I can still attend all the meetings though, correct?
Old 09/21/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

All regular meetings are open to everyone...members or not. So yes see you next month. Have you registered on the BAR forum yet?

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 09/21/2007, 06:38 PM
Premium Member

Yep. I've been a member since 2006. Send a message on how to renew my membership and to upgrade it to a family membership as well. Wish I got a message when it's time to renew. My bad.
Old 09/21/2007, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

Malster1
check link below for renewal

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/...p?topic=1495.0
Old 09/21/2007, 10:35 PM
Fragaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Malster1
Okay, Ive read this now and am totally lost. So you stated the you must be up to date with membership due's and also attend a meeting (Which I am very interested in Oct.'s meeting) you can not be part of the annual frag swap in Feb. 08?

I think it's fair to say if you're not a member maybe a month's in advance and have nothing to bring to the swap, but 4+ month's out seems to be a little to far out. My belief's of our group is to promote friends and families to join our group, but now they can't join in a BAR frag swap until 09, why would they want to join us now instead of waiting until this time next year to join our group. Other group's on RC invite people that ae paart of any group to attend their swap's.

Not trying to stur anything, I love BAR and all the people part of this group, I have learned so many things from everyone and will continue to be a memeber again even if I can't join in the swapping as I missed the date, but just had to put my two cents in.
No problem, all opinions are welcome.
The swap in Feb '08 will be 1 of 2 swaps BAR will host in 2008. I will be pushing for "current BAR membership as of last swap to participate in the next BAR swap" as the pre-requisite moving forward. I hope this answers the question of why someone might want to join now, or at least by February, even if they can't pick at the February swap.
As far as what's fair and whether BAR should invite people that are part of any group at all to our club swaps; I should just say that BAR is governed by the written by-laws and Mission Statement as interpreted by the current BOD. If you'd like to be involved in our decision making, you're welcome to attend BOD meetings, give us input on how we're doing on the bareefers.org site or better yet, volunteer to help out or run for the BOD. We do actually invite the public to 4 out of 6 of our yearly meetings. -Jim
Old 09/21/2007, 10:44 PM
Fragaholic

And to answer your first question: in order to pick during the general picking rounds in the BAR members only swap in Feb. '08 you must:

Have been a paid member as of 9/12/07 and also at the time of the Feb '08 swap.

Have attended 1 general or BOD meeting between 9/12/07 and the Feb. '08 swap.

Bring at least 2 different captive propagated frags to the Feb. '08 swap.

There will be no "buy-ins" and this swap is for BAR members only.

Family memberships are entitled to 2 positions at the swap but each participating family member must meet the 2 different frag requirement (although 2 members of the same family might have the same 2 different frags).
Old 09/22/2007, 01:11 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for clearing all that up for me (and hopefully anyone else that got cofused). I'm trying to open my day up for next month's event. It sounds very interesting and I'd love to meet up with more BAR memeber's so I can put faces to the names.

See you there,
Old 09/22/2007, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I think it's fair to say if you're not a member maybe a month's in advance and have nothing to bring to the swap, but 4+ month's out seems to be a little to far out.
The 4 months gives new members a choice from several meetings for meeting the attendance requirement.

Quote:
[...] why would they want to join us now instead of waiting until this time next year to join our group.
Hopefully, after checking out our forums and learning a bit about the club, they'd have a good basis for deciding whether or not they'd like to be a part of the group!

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/

Quote:
Other group's on RC invite people that ae paart of any group to attend their swap's.
Wait, didn't BAR invent that concept?

We invented the format that's being used in the upcoming regional swap.

BAR... we're so bleeding edge... always trying to improve how we doing things, no matter how much it hurts
Old 09/22/2007, 10:54 AM
espyesitis sufferer

I love this group and BAR has a great crew running the club. I try to make the hour and 45 minute trip as often as I can for these meetings.

It's well worth it join, whether you can attend the swap or not
Old 09/24/2007, 09:03 AM

Thanks for the plug, Karl. (your check should arrive shortly)

Ok, seriously.... thanks for being such an ongoing friend and supporter of BAR!
Old 09/24/2007, 03:17 PM
Premium Member

So does this mean outside clubs will no longer be invited to attend the Feb. bar swaps? If so, this is sad news indeed.
Old 09/24/2007, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

You can always join up. For this coming feb swap, I am sorry to say no. You can attend to watch and join the raffle, etc...

We are still debating on when the next open regional BAR swap will be. They were getting a little big to handle in our little meeting room.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director