Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Bay Area - Reefers (BAR)
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/14/2007, 06:51 PM
Ugly fishes need love too

Yep.

Though we are revisiting whether or not we can simplify things with the calendar year method.
Old 09/14/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

Okay, registered and signed up! Do I just pay membership fee to paypal@bareefers.org? Or do I wait for the paypal request?
Old 09/14/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Send the $$... there won't be any request ..
Old 09/15/2007, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Woohoo! Money sent. Will I be notified when my bareefers.org forum is activated to login?
Old 09/15/2007, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

Nevermind, got my account activated.
Old 09/15/2007, 09:30 AM
Premium Member

I PM'd one of the BAR BOD's to ask how to renew my membership about 10 days ago and never heard back. I was trying to renew through your site and it wouldn't let me as I am an existing member, I just let my dues lapse last year. So now as I wait to hear from someone I am beyond a deadline I didn't even know about. Kind of crummy . BTW, I am always very generous and would never think to try and not be fair about what I bring to a swap and what I take away . It sucks to get caught up in this problem because of other folks who take advantage of the swaps .

Could someone tell me how to go about paying dues when you are an existing member.
Old 09/15/2007, 09:44 AM

Hi Alicia,

Just paypal to paypal@bareefers.org

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/...12888#msg12888

I'll check with folks regarding the PM.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
BTW, I am always very generous and would never think to try and not be fair about what I bring to a swap and what I take away
It's really not so much the issue about what people bring vs. what they take.

The short version is...

It's more about trying to improve how we support the propagation focus of our mission statement.

We're realizing that the current frag swap model may have been a good innovation in earlier times of the hobby, but it's time for us to move forward.

Frags are the first step in propagation, but frags have become a predominant part of the focus. Often to the detriment of the coral and thereby the reefs.

We need to look at the parenting aspect of keeping our corals. That's what will make propagation successful.

In nature, there are 2 contrasting strategies of reproduction and perpetuating a species:

1. A short lived organism invests a lot of energy in producing a vast number of offspring. There is no energy put into protecting and raising the young, and the parents die shortly after. Due to the ravages of nature, only very few of the offspring survive to continue the species.

2. A long lived organism produces a few offspring. There is considerable time and energy invested in protecting and caring for the young to insure its survival and the survival of the species.

Which strategy is more appropriate if we are trying to preserve something that is endangered?

Frag swaps are like the first model. A club can be more like the second model if its members are active in working together to support each other in the parenting aspect of coral care and propagation.
Old 09/15/2007, 10:39 AM

dp
Old 09/15/2007, 11:01 AM
Fragaholic

I agree with Mr. Ugly.
Old 09/15/2007, 08:57 PM
Premium Member

Well said Norman...I completely agree and thanks .
Old 09/16/2007, 01:09 AM
Registered Member

Ok I have a question...
I applied for membership 8/25/07 and received this message:
"Your registration request at Bay Area Reefers has been received, auntbeez.
Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved. When this happens, you will receive another email from this address."
I have not gotten another email.
If I go to http://www.bareefers.org/ and try to log on, I get "Your account is still awaiting admin approval."
I have even sent an email through the above web site asking about my membership. I have yet to hear anything.

So does this mean that now I don’t meet the frag swap eligibilty requirements?

Last edited by Auntbeez; 09/16/2007 at 01:31 AM.
Old 09/16/2007, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Auntbeez
Ok I have a question...
I applied for membership 8/25/07 and received this message:
"Your registration request at Bay Area Reefers has been received, auntbeez.
Before you can login and start using the forum, your request will be reviewed and approved. When this happens, you will receive another email from this address."
I have not gotten another email.
If I go to http://www.bareefers.org/ and try to log on, I get "Your account is still awaiting admin approval."
I have even sent an email through the above web site asking about my membership. I have yet to hear anything.

So does this mean that now I don’t meet the frag swap eligibilty requirements?
I got the same thing until I paid the membership fees Barb. After that I got an email to be able to login. You're not too late for the regional frag swap on Oct. 6 but won't be able to go to the Feb 08 if I understand correctly due to the cut off date of 9/12.
Old 09/16/2007, 09:41 AM
Registered Member

Well that's hardly fair, they don't make any provisions for payment other than paypal (some people don't have paypal) and why would I pay for something if I might not be approved. I am still waiting for an email saying I am.
Old 09/16/2007, 10:24 AM
Premium Member

Maybe the system for payment, approval, and all of that needs a little overhaul, especially if the club is going to set major limits on participation in swaps based on the payment of dues by certain cut off dates, especially when it is 5 months in advance and not much of a warning. Is it possible to get a little reminder our dues are up and we need to pay, all things I belong to with payments send me payment notices online. It seems an easy thing to set up with an automatic email going out with a link to pay. Just a thought .
Old 09/16/2007, 11:17 AM
Fragaholic

The BOD discussed the renewal notification issue at length this last meeting. Currently, there seems no easy way to automate this process. There is consideration of changing the membership dates from 1 year from time of payment to something based on a calendar year with pro-rated dues. However, the admin of the change over process is quite a bit of work.

slojmn, if you know of a way to automate this process, please familiarize yourself with our db architecture by talking to Capescuba (Dave) and then offer to help Dudley with the automation. These improvements to our club are needed, welcomed and appreciated.
Thx-Jim
Old 09/16/2007, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by slojmn
Maybe the system for payment, approval, and all of that needs a little overhaul

[...]

It seems an easy thing to set up with an automatic email going out with a link to pay. Just a thought .
The BOD will just have to try harder to do a better job then
Old 09/16/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

To those that may have missed out on the deadline for joining BAR for the Feb. swap - don't forget there is a regional swap in Dixon on Oct. 6 that any reef club member is welcome to attend.
Old 09/16/2007, 05:40 PM

And there is a swap next weekend too:

http://www.bareefers.org/discussion/...24409#msg24409
Old 09/16/2007, 06:08 PM
Premium Member

Hey, guys...wish I knew how to automate it for you. I just figured if all the companies do it it must not be to hard, Guess I was wrong .
Old 09/16/2007, 06:40 PM

Hehe... those companies have paid staff whose jobs it is to do all that

We're just barely a handful of volunteers who, for some crazy reason, are trying to do something nice for the club and its members.

Some(ok, all) of us have been known to take time off/away from work and families just to deal with club issues and problems. And if we're having 5 hour BOD meetings, it's because we are analyzing those problems and trying to come up with the best ways to address them.

We can always use help. BAR members who are team oriented and who would like to contribute in a constructive way should come to the BOD meetings. Learn about the issues and help make BAR a better club!
Old 09/17/2007, 12:27 PM
Fragaholic

People should also note the meeting attendance requirement for the swap. If you don't attend one BOD or general meeting between now and the Feb swap, you won't be eligible to participate in the general swap. BAR relies on an active and participatory membership to keep moving forward and as the membership grows, we need more members to step up and become more active. The swaps specifically are being redesigned to become events that are focused on responsible propagation rather than just frag distribution. For example, BAR now has a large, standing order with a local coral farmer to provide truly captive raised coral for our swaps. Anyone who was at the last swap can attest to the quality and value of these animals. BAR will try not to buy any wild or chop-shopped corals ever again for our swaps.
Old 09/17/2007, 04:12 PM
Premium Member

I personally want to thank Jimsar for being the treasure for so long and for doing such a fine job

This club is 1000% volunteer. With out people like Jim, this club would not exist. Very few step up to the plate, but many reap the fruits of their labor!
Old 09/17/2007, 08:04 PM
Registered Member

I agree Gresh. I don't think everyone knows we are just volunteers, and that the people on BOD gets nothing extra for being on the board except work, and a vote on how we do things.

We can't please everyone, but we are always looking for people to join the BOD or offer help for some work.

Its a better chance to get your input in, its your club too... rather than showing up 1 meeting a year just for a Frag Swap.

Arnold
BAR Sponsorship Director
Old 09/17/2007, 11:36 PM
Premium Member

Guys, I am sure I speak for many folks here in thanking you for your long hours and work you put in on this club. I, in no way, meant to insult anyone in this thread...it feels as if I may have so my apologies for that. If I didn't live an hour+ away I would be most happy to help out...it isn't feasable for me to do so when I live so far away.

I was sincerely surprised to see the sticky regarding the new criteria and the deadline for the Feb '08 swap, I am sure I was not the only surprised person. You all are the ones taking the time to think these things out, again, Thank you. I hardly think it came as a surprise that some people might be put off by the suddeness of this. No biggie, it's all good. Keep on keepin on .