Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 08:20 PM
Registered Member

Overflow boxes?

I need a overflow box, Is it worth the extra $$$ for lifereef, whats the differences from others? Also How long can my tank go with no overflow? What do I need to do?
Old 12/31/2007, 08:35 PM
Premium Member

Wow I came to RC tonight to ask the exact same question. Well as far as if the Lifereef is as worth what they want for it, and if there are better alternatives.

Lets hear those opinions people!

~Paul
Old 12/31/2007, 08:46 PM
Premium Member

I think lifereef is a good choice. I have a CPR, and although it hasn't failed yet, they can fairly easily. The CPR's rely on a little pump called an aqualifter pump, that sucks air from the top to create a siphon. If the pump fails your tank could overflow. And you can't trust a 10 dollar pump for very long. I believe people like lifereef because it does not need any extra parts or pumps to function.
Old 12/31/2007, 09:54 PM
Movin On Up

I have had a lifereef on my present tank for about a year and a half. If set up right they will not lose siphon. Mine has only lost it when I removed the tube myself for cleaning,

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 12/31/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

I have a CPR overflow on my 60. I will never get another overflow box again. In 5 years I've had two accidents with this. The hose at the top of the overflow to remove air came off the top of the box (damn cat) and lost siphon. I awoke to water on my living room floor and in the basement. Second time the foam came loose and blocked the down pipe not too bad but bad enough concedering we are now between houses and renting. Not even going into all the noise problems. I deal with noise at work (I'm an auto tech) so I enjoy peace a quiet at home, seem to be really picking up some noises more than others and a noisy overflow is one of them.
I finally had the overflow quiet and working great. Built a custom stand to put in the appartment. Needless to say since this last event I've been looking for a reliable external overflow and can't seem to find one that has not caused some sort of accident. Currently have a 120 on order with overflows. Making and currently working on a stand.
Sorry for the gloomy post but just my experience with hang on overflows. My suggestion would be to have your tank drilled and make a box for internal overflow or buy a reef ready tank.
Mark
Old 12/31/2007, 10:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mhummel
I have a CPR overflow on my 60. I will never get another overflow box again. In 5 years I've had two accidents with this. The hose at the top of the overflow to remove air came off the top of the box (damn cat) and lost siphon. I awoke to water on my living room floor and in the basement. Second time the foam came loose and blocked the down pipe not too bad but bad enough concedering we are now between houses and renting. Not even going into all the noise problems. I deal with noise at work (I'm an auto tech) so I enjoy peace a quiet at home, seem to be really picking up some noises more than others and a noisy overflow is one of them.
I finally had the overflow quiet and working great. Built a custom stand to put in the appartment. Needless to say since this last event I've been looking for a reliable external overflow and can't seem to find one that has not caused some sort of accident. Currently have a 120 on order with overflows. Making and currently working on a stand.
Sorry for the gloomy post but just my experience with hang on overflows. My suggestion would be to have your tank drilled and make a box for internal overflow or buy a reef ready tank.
Mark
Sound advice. However my experience thus far with a cpr. I did try for comparisons sake set up a u tube set up...was too noisy and simply a pain when i shut power off to do maintenance... so I put back the cpr. I got dual-bulkheads just for the reason of anything getting caught in the tubing. The cpr with my proper flow set up is extremely quiet.

As far as the pump failing or the air tubing getting yanked off somehow...amazes me how much brain work goes into all these set ups and complexities when all I did was prop my return pump near the surface of my sump water....worst case scenerio if return flow fails, u-tube or any overflow for that matter, i've got maybe a gallon of water that will overflow. This might not work for larger set ups with huge sumps (or premade external pumps already drilled lower), but that's why I would get a reef ready system for it...like I am now. I don't like reef ready tanks for anything under 100 gallons, because I simply do not like the real estate space in the tank dealing with the black rounded tub in back.....simply my own taste that is all.

Last edited by Kryptikhan; 12/31/2007 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12/31/2007, 10:49 PM
Premium Member

Thats not a bad idea to be on the safe side kryptikkan. But some people would even consider a burned out pump to be enough not to risk the cpr. My problem with CPR, is that you risk losing a return pump, or an entire system if their 10 dollar pump fails. The bladder they they rely on gets clogged up and expands over time, so as long as you don't mind replacing them every so often, I say more power to you. I'm not saying it's bad judgment or anything, because I have one too. I know that if I had to buy one again, it will be a different brand though.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:06 PM
Generic Member

The forum is full of horror stories with CPR, and also lots of very happy Lifereef owners. You are comparing the wost and the best. They have a totally different design. Its an easy choice what to buy and what not to buy.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:14 PM
Registered Member

Instead of a luft pump you can hook the line to the venturi on a power head to provide suction. Venturi on the intake side of the pump. Pump provides water circulation and suction for the overflow. A lot more reliable than a luft pump.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
The forum is full of horror stories with CPR, and also lots of very happy Lifereef owners. You are comparing the wost and the best. They have a totally different design. Its an easy choice what to buy and what not to buy.
As with any news source, for work or play, I get my knowledge from many sources. RC is great, but I always consider the source. By-popular demand works, but then again, I have been kown to get creative, it's why I do what I do in life...so sure, I'd say go with lifereef cause everyone's using one

Heck millions eat mcdonalds, must be good food there.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:39 PM
Generic Member

The Lifereef is just a better design. It doesn't accumulate air like the CPR C Channel design, and doesn't require a vacuum pump to remove the accumulation. There are no moving parts, nothing to plug in.
Old 12/31/2007, 11:41 PM
Movin On Up

Quote:
Originally posted by Kryptikhan
so sure, I'd say go with lifereef cause everyone's using one

The thing that's different is on mine at least, there are no horror stories!!!

I want to be a bear turd when I grow up. ~ Bart

All butts must be sniffed for identification purposes. ~ Mutt

Tequila makes my clothes fall off ~ crp
Old 01/01/2008, 02:16 AM
Charleston Reefer

Just get a u-tube overflow. I got one at my LFS for $40.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:21 AM
Registered Member

Problem the LFS around here in NJ, there isnt many so the ones that have it are very expensiv, example Proclear Overflow online $44.00, LFS $99.00 plus tax, SO I mine as well get the best which is Lifereef.
Old 01/01/2008, 03:22 AM
Registered Member

Problem the LFS around here in NJ, there isnt many so the ones that have it are very expensive, example Proclear Overflow online $44.00, LFS $99.00 plus tax, SO I mine as well get the best which is Lifereef. Only one's that I know of are Absolutely Fish, Aquactic Vision, and some shop in Greenbrook NJ and thats all.
Old 01/01/2008, 08:35 AM
Registered Member

Amiracle makes a nice overflow for alot cheaper than the lifereef. I have used them for 4 years now with no problems...
Old 01/01/2008, 09:58 AM
Charleston Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by drillsar
Problem the LFS around here in NJ, there isnt many so the ones that have it are very expensiv, example Proclear Overflow online $44.00, LFS $99.00 plus tax, SO I mine as well get the best which is Lifereef.
Well i don;t think its worth over $130 just for a utube overflow.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:07 AM
Registered Member

eshops on dr foster and smith
Old 01/01/2008, 10:43 AM
Generic Member

Not all U Tube overflows are the same. The Eshops are one of the worst I've seen. The skimmer box is too shallow, U Tube too short, rear baffle too high. They have a very weak siphon. I've seen several posts of people having problems with them. I've owned CPR, Amiracle, Lifereef. The CPR was awful. The Amiracle was very reliable, but can not handle much flow. A Mag5 maxes it out. A single U Tube Lifereef easily handled 2x the flow of the Amiracle. Since you would have to buy two of them if you want to use more flow (I did), a single Lifereef is a bargain.

Last edited by sjm817; 01/01/2008 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01/02/2008, 01:58 AM
Premium Member

Okay... Lifereef it is then.

::Paul grabs hammer and heads for piggy bank::

~Paul