Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/05/2006, 12:54 AM
Registered Member

Tank Upgrade

I am going to upgrade from a 60g to 120g, my dilemna, I need to transfer my current aquarium inhabitants LR and all the equipment in one go because I won't have the luxury of running the new tank prior to the change. I will be doing it all in one day, Will this be OK? keeping my eye on parameters and trying to control with water changes, to limit the cycling of the new tank over the following weeks.
Old 06/05/2006, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

id make like 30 gallons of water int he new tank, start by switching all the LR, then your substrate. Top off using the 60 gallons from your current tank then transfer your fish. Monitor the oarameters closely. I dont think it should be too mich of a problem since you already have 60 gallons and everything is going well. LR should only be out of water for a few mins at most that will minimize die off. IMO you shouldnt have any problems. Good Luck with your new tank
Old 06/05/2006, 04:31 AM
THE NAZGUL

i would recomend first having extra salt water handy, then take some of the established tank water and put it into somthing like a clean trash can or rubbermaid container. remove any corals to a seperate contanier then take the live rock out and rinse it in a bucket of saltwater to remove as much detritus as possible then put it in the rubbermaid/trash can with the tank water. then remove any fish to a seperate container with the established tanks water. at this point there should only be a little water left and the sand as undisturbed as possible, remove the sand and rinse it out. discard the remaining water as it will more than likely be nasty at this point. then with fresh saltwater in the new tank add the liverock and aquascape it. then the sand can be added, any water from the established tank not housing livestock should be added as well, and the difference made up of freshly made saltwater. get all equipment running and once things have settled acclimate anyother livestock i.e fish and corals. with a little luck things should go smoothly. be prepared with extra buckets, and towels and make sure you know what the game-plan is before you start. i have tried to wing a few tank switches and it usually ends in disaster.

good luck