Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/15/2006, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Protein Skimmer for a 38

Im starting a 38 gallon tank and wasn't sure what to do about a protein skimmer.

The manager of a store I went to said I should be fine without it and just get a Filstar XP2 Canister Filter.

Any suggestions?
Old 07/15/2006, 08:47 PM
Max Reefer

Get a sump (moded Wet/Dry works well or DIY 10g) and just use a sump skimmer - your options will more than double and you'll have a place for all your equipment. Personally on my 40, I have a 10g long Wet/Dry with no bio-balls, a Mag7 return (with valve to control flow) and a regular ol' SeaLife skimmer that IME outperfomes my Remora Urchin Pro.

And if this is going to be just a fish only tank then yes, a canister filter will do the job.
Old 07/15/2006, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Is the tank reef ready?

If so your choices are different than not. I simple tank with a sock on the drain lines and a skimmer would work great. I love my ASM(Euro-Reef knock-off) Get the best skimmer you can afford or you;ll be going out and upgrading later. I started out with a Sea-Clown(clone) All GMO though....

Lots of reading for you and dad ;>
Old 07/15/2006, 08:54 PM
THE NAZGUL

i would recomend a protien for just about any saltwater tank. as for the canister filter is this a reef tank with live rock, then it may cause more trouble than its worth, if used for anything other than a place to put a little carbon. as for which skimmer, i have personally only used in sump models in which case i would recomemd both ASM and EuroReef. if it has to be a hang-on-the back (HOB) model then i can only recomend what others have said are good. of few of which are the CPR bak-pak skimmer and aqua remora's, you really cant go wrong with any of those, and when it comes down to it any skimmer is better than nothing in my opinion.

Good luck
Old 07/15/2006, 09:31 PM
Registered Member

Still debating the fish only tank vs full on reef tank. We are looking for not that much work because we are always busy; however, algae is a big concern that draws my father away from a reef tank. With a cleaning crew I dont think that should be to much of a problem.

So my understand is if we go towards a fish only tank a canister filter will work fine without a sump or HOB skimmer

and if its a reef tank then a sump or HOB skimmer would be best rather then a canister filter.

Do I have this right?
Old 07/16/2006, 09:06 PM
THE NAZGUL

i would say the skimmer is more important then the canister in both applications. for fish only and reef tanks what i have found works is the biggest best skimmer i can get, the most water movement, and a good amount of quality live rock. for reef you would also need to look into good lighting. as for the algae in my experience fish only tanks tend to have more problems due to the heavier bio-load, usually less flow, and constent feedings. reef tanks in my experience due to there need for prestine conditions tend to have less problems with algae.